Hosepipe ban, and filling up a Motorhome

Malcdhill

Just listening to the news this afternoon, I have been hearing about hosepipe bans covering regions in the south of England. They confirmed that you can’t use a hosepipe for watering your garden, or washing your car, or for “general“ use.
I just wondered is the filling up of Motorhome’s, Campers, Caravan, etc.. with our blue hosepipe still legal (if based on the quantity of water used) or not covered by this ban, or is it a “grey area” of the law?
It may be something we see more of going forward over the next years?
🤔
😎

South East Water :- "You can fill the water tank of a motor home with tap water using a hosepipe, as long as this water is then used for drinking/cooking/washing and not for any activity prohibited under the Temporary Use Ban."

Just listening to the news this afternoon, I have been hearing about hosepipe bans covering regions in the south of England. They confirmed that you can’t use a hosepipe for watering your garden, or washing your car, or for “general“ use.
I just wondered is the filling up of Motorhome’s, Campers, Caravan, etc.. with our blue hosepipe still legal (if based on the quantity of water used) or not covered by this ban, or is it a “grey area” of the law?
It may be something we see more of going forward over the next years?
🤔
😎
An interesting question.

This article from 2012 might answer it (may be 10 years old but I would imagine the rules that are being enforced will be the same still)

'For example, a spokesman for Southern Water, which will not be imposing a hosepipe ban from April 5, but will be restricting the use of water - which it said may or may not include the use of a hosepipe (confused yet?), said: “Restrictions will be imposed on the use of hosepipes to fill tanks in motorhomes/caravans but not if the tank is being filled for domestic purposes (i.e. washing, cooking and toilet facilities).

"However, if the tank is filled using a hosepipe and the water is then used to water a garden or wash the motorhome or caravan then the use of a hosepipe is prohibited."

However, Anglian Water only confirmed that motorhomers would be exempt from the ban after MMM sent a petitioning letter.
Following the submission of the letter, Anglian Water said it will now exempt motorhomes from the ban.
“We can confirm that the use of a hosepipe to fill water tanks on motor homes is entirely acceptable under the terms of the hosepipe ban,” said a spokesman.
“This is considered essential for sanitary reasons, as well as drinking and cooking, whilst such vehicles are in use, hence its exemption from the ban.” '

Sounds like it would (and should) be acceptable and a hosepipe running to a motorhome is kind of regarded in the same light as a waterpipe inside the house

Brilliant, thanks all. Something we are going to encounter when we holiday on the “Costa del South Coast” in the future … 😎👍🌞🌞

Common sense should prevail there, I mean we use a whole lot less water when out with the van, particularly when wild camping.

There would be no shortages if they sorted out the leaks. 30 + years of privatisation and still hose pipe bans whilst the water comps continue to pay out billionss to shareholders and then brag about meeting targets for leak repairs, which is no surprise as they set their own targets. Simply they would rather pay shareholders than mend leaks.

There would be no shortages if they sorted out the leaks. 30 + years of privatisation and still hose pipe bans whilst the water comps continue to pay out billionss to shareholders and then brag about meeting targets for leak repairs, which is no surprise as they set their own targets. Simply they would rather pay shareholders than mend leaks.
AFAIK water companies dont have targets regarding 'the number of leaks' rather they have a target based on 'water loss'. They dramatically improved the amount of water loss due to leaks by simply reducing the water pressure!
Explains why most folks have crap water pressure.
Merl

My water comes from a spring and piped into a tank then feeds nearly 30 properties and has done for a couple of hundred. Apparently it has never dried up. We use a lot of water on the veg beds, soft fruits, greenhouse and fruit trees and would hate to think what would happen if a hose pipe ban was enforced so I understand the anger at the water companies.

Yes amazing how careful I am with water , power , pee and poo when on the road .

Well exactly. Some say owning a big diesel motorhome isn't very green but I would argue its greener than living in a house. Use much less water and personally our van seldom moves when on tour apart from location to location and from April to the end of September is powered by the sun when parked up.

Does this ban also apply to the use of commercial car washes and car valeting businesses? :unsure:
No they are a business.

Gardeners a few years ago, did a workaround, a hosepipe to fill a water butt and then their own electric pump from the water butt to water the garden. :sneaky: that was all legal.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back