getting a bit bloody close !

Apparently up to 650,000 people die every year from influenza and no one thinks of wearing facemasks or staying indoors. More people died from the influenza epidemic after WW1 than in the war, yet 7,000 have died from this so far, and the whole world is in a panic. Is there something I'm missing here?

All this kicked off when the "News" had little to report and the Coronovirus name was blown out of proportion. If there had been a tsunami or an earthquake somewhere this would have just been reported as another winter Flu .

I agree 4 weeks or more without shopping is the problem
It would be an incentive to do some speed shopping, grab and go. My other half spends too much time searching for bargains and special offers!

The WHO reckon you have to be within a couple of metres of a carrier for around 15 minutes, so keep moving - it is more difficult to hit a moving target.

I wonder if Ocado would deliver to coordinates as opposed to a physical address.

I still think the whole thing is OTT, In the UK alone 27 people a day die from flu related symptoms and the news aint flooded with that. Each year world wide near a million die from the Flu related symptoms.

The towns in Lombardy that have been put on lockdown because of the coronavirus are very close to where my niece and her three children live,
San colombano al lambro.

Its an area that we have regularly visited over the past 20 years.

The nearest infected towns are 8 - 10 miles away so fingers crossed. If anyone had Lombardy in their short term travel plans,
best give it a miss and take the scenic route to Scunthorpe instead.

Dezi
Its now in Dundee which is not far from us. I'll keep off grid for the next couple of months if out in the van.

Apparently up to 650,000 people die every year from influenza and no one thinks of wearing facemasks or staying indoors. More people died from the influenza epidemic after WW1 than in the war, yet 7,000 have died from this so far, and the whole world is in a panic. Is there something I'm missing here?
yes you mist me,here hoping it miss is u ok.wolfy pj

My Niece in Italy tells me that local restaurants etc have started delivering free Pizzas to the nurses and doctors in the local hospitals
currently working round the clock.

I imagine the medical staff here are already looking forward to free burgers and deep fried chicken Mcnuggets.

Dezi

Just driven past Asda and you'd think everything was half price the number of people shopping they where queuing in the road waiting to get in. Or could there be another reason ? First case in Cornwall just announced

It could well be better to get it now. At least the treatment will be good rather than when the health service is inundated.
Looking at the China statistics the early cases had a very high death rate and the death rate improved later. They think due to the medics having more experience and so providing improved care.

AND the UK government is still only at stage 1 of the response or "Battle Plan" (officially).
AND the health secretary promises no "food shortages" I could write "dream on" but "nightmare on" is more appropriate.
To be political (with a small p) surely the PM or Home secretary should be heading up the "Battle plan".. as published following COBRA

Is COBRA a snake in the grass ?

I wonder if Ocado would deliver to coordinates as opposed to a physical address.

The man to ask would be Nesting Zombie, he would know.

Hasn't been posting for a while? He might be hiding out in his winter resort, which is usually off grid in Scotland, I think.

I heard a walker in Scotland who arranged Tesco to deliver to co-ordinates. The web site says a British address so perhaps he stood outside an address. but click and collect would definitely be less contact than shopping and no worse in contact terms than delivery to co-ordinates

Last edited:
Tesco to deliver to co-ordinates. click and collect would definitely be less contact than shopping
We always use home delivery today we have to wait 6 days for a delivery slot so get your order in seems like every one got the same idea

Last edited:
So here is the biginnings of a plan.When the virus gets really close, self isolation for campervanning oldies,
rolleyes.gif

Take your camper to a remote place for a holiday, perhaps best in the UK say mid Wales or The Scottish highlands, and close enough to get home if you catch it: keep away from people, cook in your camper, when you need shopping shop online at say Asda or Tesco, either click and collect or home delivery to a place where you can park safely outside an address sample imaginary address "the camper outside no 1 plague cottage Eyam postcode" to wait for the delivery. The 2nd option may or may not work, but my guess is it will. Self service pay at pump for fuel and lpg, fill at unfrequented hours, water from a public tap or spring. Wash your hands after, perhaps wear a mask at these times. Your camper needs to be self sufficient for electric.
Now I know if you are fit enough to do this even when old , you may well survive the pneumonia anyway but if you like remote places it is a holiday, even if as predicted this may happen in April.

I agree.

I full-time so I already have it in mind to stay well away from major population areas and shopping using click and collect is definitely a good option.

I suggest acquiring a large supply of disposable polythene gloves to use in addition to regular hand cleansing.

Learn how to remove the gloves without touching the outside...

I agree.

I full-time so I already have it in mind to stay well away from major population areas and shopping using click and collect is definitely a good option.

I suggest acquiring a large supply of disposable polythene gloves to use in addition to regular hand cleansing.

Learn how to remove the gloves without touching the outside...
The van driver who handles your goods could pas it to you when you carry them in,no win situation.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back