French playing 90 day rule games.?

The only glimmer of hope was the campaign for British citizens to be allowed to retain EU Citizenship but its hardly a weak twinkle let alone a glimmer. This was started back in 2016 by Charles Goerens (A Luxembourg MEP) and backed by Guy Verhofstad who despite an element of loathing from many in the UK is actually very pro Brit. Well some of us. I cant see it flying though although I wouldn't put it past the EU to actually offer it to UK citizens and for Johnson and his crew to decline. The EU generally dont see freedom of movement for Brits within Europe as a bad thing, they see Freedom of movement as a good thing as do I. Sadly that is not the case here.

What I find amusing is the outrage on other social media that we may have to queue at a third country queue at airports, pay a visa charge or be limited in how long we can stay. What did people think was going to happen?
Too True Barry, But if we post more it will be political etc etc. The whole thing has been a nightmare for 2.5 years and more to come.
I accept it was voted for and NOW we are Stuck with it OR F***ed by It. hard hat on. Before the Brexiteers get up in arms NOTICE I say I accept the referendum decision..ENUFF !

Too True Barry, But if we post more it will be political etc etc. The whole thing has been a nightmare for 2.5 years and more to come.
I accept it was voted for and NOW we are Stuck with it OR F***ed by It. hard hat on. Before the Brexiteers get up in arms NOTICE I say I accept the referendum decision..ENUFF !
Coming back to 90 day position just had a meeting with my local Councillor in La Marina regarding other matters and he informed me that if I stay in Spain for more than 90 days I need Spanish Residency . This surprised me as I had previously only thought that Residency only needed if I stayed more than 6 months . Also thought that if I take out residency must stay for more than 6 months in Spain . Also if staying for more than 3 months need Spanish driving licence but then he was not sure how long I could drive in UK on Spanish licence as I would have to surrender my UK licence. He is to find out ? Regards Confused .com but will post if anything meaningful comes out

Yep Confusing
OK if you are going to live Spain (KenSpain) and also a friend of mine has bought a flat
BUT I suggest not for motorhomers...lots of reasons as you imply !

I think this is the problem, there are so many things affected by Brexit that each country, and possibly each bureaucrat, currently seems to have their own take on the new rules which often haven't yet been decided upon! Wait and see seems to be the only answer, just don't try and plan anything in advance.:eek:

Without wishing to start the B****T argument although I accept that it is over but don't expect me a committed remoaner to happily keep quiet. as far as my view is prove me wrong then I will be more than willing to grovel & ask for forgiveness for not believing that Boris will deliver an outcome where we are better off in any way. I really do hope for everybody's sake a lot of these concerns can be agreed to but fear our rights such as freedom of travel, EHIC cards etc. will be way down the list of priorities. It will affect us as well as places such as Spain who obviously welcome us pensioners spending our cash in the winter months.

Without wishing to start the B****T argument although I accept that it is over but don't expect me a committed remoaner to happily keep quiet. as far as my view is prove me wrong then I will be more than willing to grovel & ask for forgiveness for not believing that Boris will deliver an outcome where we are better off in any way. I really do hope for everybody's sake a lot of these concerns can be agreed to but fear our rights such as freedom of travel, EHIC cards etc. will be way down the list of priorities. It will affect us as well as places such as Spain who obviously welcome us pensioners spending our cash in the winter months.

I could not agree more kontiki. It begs the obvious question, and only time will tell.

Coming back to 90 day position just had a meeting with my local Councillor in La Marina regarding other matters and he informed me that if I stay in Spain for more than 90 days I need Spanish Residency . This surprised me as I had previously only thought that Residency only needed if I stayed more than 6 months . Also thought that if I take out residency must stay for more than 6 months in Spain . Also if staying for more than 3 months need Spanish driving licence but then he was not sure how long I could drive in UK on Spanish licence as I would have to surrender my UK licence. He is to find out ? Regards Confused .com but will post if anything meaningful comes out

I think you can get something called a Padron to stay in Spain and some are arguing that they will be able to take one out in order to get round the 90 day rule but as far as I am aware it only applies if you have a Spanish address. Im not sure a campsite or aire counts. I suspect the Spanish authorities may well turn a blind eye to overstayers, they may not if fining them becomes a good revenue stream but I think the issues will arise at Schengen entry ports / borders. If you have overstayed it will flag up as soon as you get there. What they then do with you I guess depends on who what and where but people do get fined and can be refused entry in the future. I just dont see a way round it sadly without "winging it" and hoping for the best.

With regards to "winging it" No !
But maybe Spain/Portugal will force a Sprouty solution

I think you can get something called a Padron to stay in Spain and some are arguing that they will be able to take one out in order to get round the 90 day rule but as far as I am aware it only applies if you have a Spanish address. Im not sure a campsite or aire counts. I suspect the Spanish authorities may well turn a blind eye to overstayers, they may not if fining them becomes a good revenue stream but I think the issues will arise at Schengen entry ports / borders. If you have overstayed it will flag up as soon as you get there. What they then do with you I guess depends on who what and where but people do get fined and can be refused entry in the future. I just dont see a way round it sadly without "winging it" and hoping for the best.
How will it flag up. See my comments at 45.

How will it flag up. See my comments at 45.
Passports are scanned now using their bar codes and almost certainly date-stamped.. The wonders of modern technology.
Ferry companies and the shuttle ask for passport numbers etc etc..Then there is ANPR !
Data Protection...My Rear End !

Surely nothing has been agreed yet so all this is just speculation. It'll be months yet before anything will be agreed and we'll be informed when we need to know. As for the 90 day rule who was fined this is like gassing thread a friend of a friend told someone he knows of someone !!!!!

Surely nothing has been agreed yet so all this is just speculation. It'll be months yet before anything will be agreed and we'll be informed when we need to know. As for the 90 day rule who was fined this is like gassing thread a friend of a friend told someone he knows of someone !!!!!
It may be speculation- but this can be a reality. The rules are in place already - it’s just whether the French enforce them or not. Hence my comment- the Santander or Rotterdam Ferries will start to be appealing. The Spanish have already said they will still want the UK tourists.

Yes this is how we see things . Do you think the Schengen clock will start on the 31st December 2020 giving us a further 90 days or will it be backdated , eg fined on the 1st Jan 2021 if you have already been in for more than 90 days ?

It is difficult to see how it could legally be backdated because until 31st December we are bound by EU rules. They cannot then say that we weren't bound by those rules at a later date. Thus the 90 day rule will kick in on Jan 1st 2021 - unless, of course, there is a further extension to the transition period :)

The only speculation is whether/when we leave the Single Market. If/when we do then the 90 day rule WILL kick in - as already stated by both the EU and our own government. https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/brexit_files/info_site/travelling.pdf

I do, however, share your scepticism about tales of people being fined before we leave.

We tried that for my friend they would not except a camp site as an address so I got him a papron at my address so we could put his van on Spanish reg.

It may be speculation- but this can be a reality. The rules are in place already - it’s just whether the French enforce them or not. Hence my comment- the Santander or Rotterdam Ferries will start to be appealing. The Spanish have already said they will still want the UK tourists.

Having lived there for 10 years, I know only too well how the dear old gendarmes can be very much a law unto themselves!

As this is very much the case (and the reason why so many French people dislike/hate them) if it is a law and you happen to have been stopped by them and are foolish enough to start exhibiting any kind of frustration then I know from bitter experience that they can become shirty and exceptionally nitpicking.

Yes I think you are right , we have always signed onto the Padron as a means of legitisimising our stay but the councilor today said we should not sign the Padron unless we are applying for residencia ?

It is difficult to see how it could legally be backdated because until 31st December we are bound by EU rules. They cannot then say that we weren't bound by those rules at a later date. Thus the 90 day rule will kick in on Jan 1st 2021 - unless, of course, there is a further extension to the transition period :)
I hope this is the case John but maybe they say being in the EU shielded you from Schengen rules and now you are no longer in the EU you are so no longer shielded . Ferries and tunnel could be pretty busy on the 31st December 2020 ?

I think this is the problem, there are so many things affected by Brexit that each country, and possibly each bureaucrat, currently seems to have their own take on the new rules which often haven't yet been decided upon! Wait and see seems to be the only answer, just don't try and plan anything in advance.:eek:
For what its worth ,the one thing the councilor did say was that as there has been a deal agreed then there will be on unilateral deals with Spain or any other EU single country . Everything will need agreeing via Brussels .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back