French playing 90 day rule games.?

I think I read that after the transition period the whole of the EU that is in the Schengen area are treated as if it were one country so that you will only be able to spend 90 days in any period of 180 days. As it's looking like I won't be able to manage the longer trips/stays (in the first couple of years we were retired we spent more time touring in Europe than in the UK) I feel sorry for people who now find they can't. I think you can apply for an extension but not sure how. The 3 month rule has always been there in that you should register if you stay more than that but never really enforced, after we brexit it is easier for them to know as the limit applys to the whole of the EU not any one country.

My friend’s statement was that the French have already taken it into their heads to start enforcing a rule that is already there.

If they are, I’m guessing there aren’t that many Brits who will be coming home yet after spending more than 3 months out of UK.
If it’s happening complaints will start to happen when the weather improves here.

Differring "layers" .

Schengen rules conflict with EU Law for EU citizens but it has not mattered (Or just not bothered)
At this precise moment we are still EU. That is clearly going to change maybe in stages.
I suspect our "Friends in Brussels" will play "hardball" with this and other things.
The conundrum for them is that Spain and Portugal will also be losers...Not sure there will be any winners except politicians / eurocrats !
As in post #21 my sympathies are with those who are used to no restrictions.
Not being selfish but for us a minor headache in that a trip to Northern Scandinavia becomes a tad rushed...
But plenty to see in UK
Again interesting to wonder if you go to ROI via NI..Will there be any problem.
All the talk is of a soft border which COULD imply no effective limit ?
Then again Get the Ferry from ROI to France ???

Looking at this website it doesn't look like ROI is in Schengen Countries
This is just one of the things that will hurt everybody, also between 16 & 70 you will need to pay 7€ for a 3 year travel permit + 2 international driving licences if you want to visit France & Spain

Last edited:
Option 1 ... Sorn our vehicle like others ;)
Option 2 ... Stay as an illegal ;)
Option 3 ... Ron loses his pocket money paying fine ;)

A few years ago I had a discussion with a couple who told me there was no need to road tax your vehicle when abroad as it was a “British “ tax. I said I understood vehicle had to be totally road legal as in UK. Nonsense says them, “ we were both police officers and know what we are talking about. I have a great respect for the police but these were a pair of plonkers.

One year I was chatting to a caravanner who had spent the winter in Spain, he said he sorn'd his car & cancelled the insurance!! Said he didn't need it as he was out of the UK. I would have thought it was easy to catch people like him coming into the country at the port, they could have a number recognition camera linked to the DVLA.

Frankly that is a load of nonsense and not even factually correct. The 90 day rule will only apply when we have left after the transition period.

How wrong can someone be!!!!

Under Schengen rules a UK passport holder can only stop a maximum of 90 days unless they have already applied for a cartes de séjour and I quote below an extract from the www.thelocal.fr website. dated 8th August 2019: -

"You would be permitted to enter France at passport control as a UK citizen under the Schengen rules for up to 90 days, so the applications for cartes de séjour would need to be made during this time."

I used to live in France and did so for 10 brilliant years and it really used to peeeee me off how many English people totally flouted EU & French laws, such as not re-registering their UK cars etc. and as for these without a cartes de séjour, well my mind used to boggle, no wonder so many hard working French artisans as well as law abiding tradesman Brits were so totally fed up with so many UK nationals who flouted the law!!

Under Schengen rules a UK passport holder can only stop a maximum of 90 days unless they have already applied for a cartes de séjour and I quote below an extract from the www.thelocal.fr website. dated 8th August 2019: -

"You would be permitted to enter France at passport control as a UK citizen under the Schengen rules for up to 90 days, so the applications for cartes de séjour would need to be made during this time."

I used to live in France and did so for 10 brilliant years and it really used to peeeee me off how many English people totally flouted EU & French laws, such as not re-registering their UK cars etc. and as for these without a cartes de séjour, well my mind used to boggle, no wonder so many hard working French artisans as well as law abiding tradesman Brits were so totally fed up with so many UK nationals who flouted the law!!
I meant

If you read the original post it states that the French are fining people for staying more than 90 days in EU.Not for staying more than 90 days in one single country e.g France which has always been the rule but not previously enforced.

I think the point is that Schengen rules will only come into force after the transition period . UK Gov website seems to confirm this to my satisfaction , but I may not be correct . Hope anybody who has first hand experience of being fined will post here . Make sure they are bona fida police !

This is why my friend that spends more time over here and Portugal ask me to help him get his van registered onto Spanish Plates. So I Registered him at my address and got his van now on Spanish plates .All he dose is gets a cheap flight to return to the UK and I go and pick him up when he comes over, (y)

The 90 day rule for stays in the EU already exists. People have been fined for overstaying for many years. Quite simply, if you are not a citizen of a member state you are limited to 90 days in any 180. Thus, Americans, Canadians, Australians, Chinese, Turks, etc etc have been penalised if they have overstayed. After the end of the transition period (December 31st 2020) we will be citizens of a non-member state and therefore open to being fined too. Up to that point, any attempt to fine us is illegal. If you get stopped by someone purporting to be a police officer, check his/her credentials carefully. If you have any doubts, ask them to take you to the nearest police station and speak to a senior officer. If you hear of a story about someone being fined check what nationality they are. Whatever you have heard, Brits are not liable to a fine until we actually leave the EU.

We will be away this trip more than 90 days, but just in case of the French trying to fine, we will have receipts from each country to show not in any one country over 90 days. But as others have said, it is still freedom of movement for member states in EU till after transition. We have temporary residence in Portugal (5yrs) but still not really clear how this will be affected by Bexit until the government publish clear guidelines:cautious:

The above post is extremely misleading due its its highly selective quotation from the full article, which relates to the situation AFTER Brexit and after any transition period. How wrong can someone be!!!!

The 90 day rule for stays in the EU already exists. People have been fined for overstaying for many years. Quite simply, if you are not a citizen of a member state you are limited to 90 days in any 180. Thus, Americans, Canadians, Australians, Chinese, Turks, etc etc have been penalised if they have overstayed. After the end of the transition period (December 31st 2020) we will be citizens of a non-member state and therefore open to being fined too. Up to that point, any attempt to fine us is illegal. If you get stopped by someone purporting to be a police officer, check his/her credentials carefully. If you have any doubts, ask them to take you to the nearest police station and speak to a senior officer. If you hear of a story about someone being fined check what nationality they are. Whatever you have heard, Brits are not liable to a fine until we actually leave the EU.
Yes this is how we see things . Do you think the Schengen clock will start on the 31st December 2020 giving us a further 90 days or will it be backdated , eg fined on the 1st Jan 2021 if you have already been in for more than 90 days ?

Reactions: R0B
Yes, but it's the UK Border Force.

Customs checks, if any, are on the UK side.
So UK border force are allegedly fining people ? I would find that strange and French customs trying to fine you when you are already on British soil . Equally find that strange ?

UK customs on this side of the Channel!

Actually the French authorities check your credentials then the UK Border Force.

The original poster's reporting of fines is actually impossible because at this point we are still in the EU!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back