French playing 90 day rule games.?

jennyp19

I’ve just had message from a friend who spends a lot of time in Spain ie more than 90 days at a time.

‘The French are playing stupid but costly games at french ports, fining Brits returning to UK, for staying more than 90 days in EU, even tho we are still in Europe. Fines of 265 euros per person, to be paid on the spot, or they confiscate your vehicle.‘
Has anyone had this happen yet. If so which ports.?
Apparently always been the case but has not been enforced.

I agree seems wrong but it wouldn’t surprise me if it happens.
A bit like them not changing a lot of the speed signs when they changed the speed limits.

There has Always been a 90 day rule and speed limits are being altered again now

That’s what my friend said - they’re now enforcing the 90 day rule.
At least now I’m aware and it’s a gamble. if they’re doing this it certainly puts a new slant on the cost of Santander or Rotterdam crossings.

Your friend is going to have to change his or her arrangements in the future ...

Nothing changes regarding access to the EU during the transition period currently due to end on 31 December.

The speed limit signs in France were changed to reflect the lower 80kph limit. I travelled extensively through France soon after the reduction and noted that they had been replaced.

There are some 90kph signs because some sections of road, typically multi-lane, still have that limit in place.

I Would like to see some proper evidence of this. We are actually still in the EU and have full free movement. I think anyone (not just the UK) if they spend more than 90 days in one country is supposed to register but they are entitled to be there. At a French port they would have no idea how long you had spent in France. We are currently free to roam from country to country as long as you like but generally 90 days per country I believe although it was never enforced as there are no passport controls within Schengen anyway. Lets see the evidence. However if there is any truth in it those thinking of winging it after we leave and overstaying may be in bother as it would be easy to check then as it wont matter where you have been, 90 days in any 180 is the max.

In Spain I think you are supposed to report to the local police station if you are staying in the country for more than 90 days.

John H shed light on the existing 90 day limit a while back:

The 3 month thing for EU residents is an interesting one. For many years, many of us - including me - were under the misapprehension that an EU resident could only legally spend 3 months in another EU country. This "rule" was never enforced and it was assumed by us that this was because it would be difficult to prove because of the lack of border controls within Schengen. It turns out, however, that any such rule is over-ridden by the freedom of movement directive, which states that as long as you can prove that you have sufficient funds to cover your stay you can stay as long as you want and enjoy all the reciprocal arrangements - including EHIC. In addition to my own experience, I could itemise many cases of friends who have been here in Spain for longer than 3 months and got free treatment for everything ranging from strokes to broken limbs.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back