driving on m6

It's a 2007 Ducato, most seem to have a 6 speed but the 5 speed is fine, I can go down to about 20 and speed up with no judder etc unlike reverse :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm surprised more people don't make us of cruise control or the speed limiter functions that I'm pretty sure are standard on most modern vehicles.

I set mine for 45MPH in town, and 105MPH on the motorway and touch wood, no tickets yet. 🤪
As long as you only speed in roadworks with average speed camera setups, you will be ok. Someone told me you never get done in those ;)

I usually have my GPS speedo going so I'm bang on the speed, but idiots still come flying past me, the message isn't getting out to them.

Slow The EFF Down.

They normally don't impose speed limits just for fun, it's to save lives.
Must be safer to drive in England I guess? If I drive at 21MPH in Coldstream I would be an unsafe idiot due to exceeding the speed limit. But if I am two miles up the road driving in Cornhill at 29MPH I am below the speed limit and I get a green smiley face on the speed checker display despite going nearly 50% faster.

Speed limits in many areas have arbitrary values. Often they could easily be higher. Often they should be set lower. Not set for fun. But are set by fools.

I prefer the speed displays to cameras, we can all stray over but that sign tells you and for most of us that's all we need, I don't think cameras save lives at all, if they worked no one would get fined would they.

I assume from your comments you drive or operate a truck if so you might be able to answer me.
Yes
Can you tell me the purpose of a truck getting so close to the back of my van that I can see you in my down-facing reversing camera?
At 20 mph the 2 second rule still applies
The above also applies to fast cars and idiots who think they own the road.
Stop there are no idiots behind you ! only in front.
If it is to intimidate me then That isn't going to work, I'll just slow down until they back off a decent amount, I drive at the speed I want to drive as I am on holiday, and they would also be recorded on the dash cam fitted to the rear window.
Again no not to intimidate but finnest you overtaking manouvering and return to the inside lane, you should only overtake the hazard you setout to complete.
Not start sunbathing in any lane

I accept that they have a job to do but making a driver nervous is not the best way to go in any circumstances, if I am on a dual carriageway I'll do around 50mph, a motorway up to 60 perhaps, I am on holiday so they could just overtake me, blasting the horn is optional, I drove for 30 years so I'm not in a hurry, on a single carriageway I might be happy at 30-40, so as I drive on my mirrors anyway, I will know if I have anyone behind and when possible or convenient I'll pull over, if it's a single track road then I will use the passing spaces, assuming some cretin hasn't parked in one and gone walkies.
Again you should drive at a comtobale speed for your vehicle and your self , but return to the nearside lane in a timely manner.
If you started your manouvering at 45mph you should not return to neside lane at a lower speed if overtaking.

Sometimes I go on nearside lane at lower speeds than I want just, to let other road user's to continue there journey

Normally tailgating by restricted vehicles, happens at opening or closing of business and or low on tacho time so raceing to service's for legal breaks.

They have average speed cameras in roadworks but I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for speeding.

I got a ticket for speeding in Motorway roadworks based on average speed cameras. :( .
Fortunately I was able to prove that I had part exchanged the vehicle two weeks before the offence. :D:D

I'm not understanding some of that MR 1 Cup.

2 second rule where does that come from? if I can see any vehicle in my down-facing camera I refuse to speed up if I am either driving at a good speed for me or I feel they cannot stop if I need to, I will slow down, anyone with any sense will back off so I can safely manoeuver, pull in or whatever I need to do, I cannot count the number of times we have seen something interesting we would like to see but have to keep going because of some idiot tailgating me so close I cannot brake effectively to pull in or turn off.

2 second rule is in the Highway Code. It's the "rule of thumb" to work out the minimum distance you should keep from vehicle in front.

Whether you, or I think 2 seconds is enough, is another matter.

beep beep.

I thought it might be that but didn't see the relevance to someone less than two feet from my back bumper as that is how far the down camera can see.

2 milliseconds would be pushing it at that distance.

So we should have a stutter for some . Onnnne ttttttwo

2 second rule where does that come from? if I can see any vehicle in my down-facing camera I refuse to speed up if I am either driving at a good speed for me or I feel they cannot stop if I need to, I will slow down, anyone with any sense will back off so I can safely manoeuver, pull in or whatever I need to do, I cannot count the number of times we have seen something interesting we would like to see but have to keep going because of some idiot tailgating me so close I cannot brake effectively to pull in or turn off.

You need to increase your budget £££££ so you can increase your sppppeeeeeed.if cars done 66 mph or 50 mph restricted vehicular would not be of consideration ! But all the 50s should be ours. All ours

You could consider turning that camera off when overtaking. And continue your manouvering. Without distress ?

So we should have a stutter for some . Onnnne ttttttwo

You need to increase your budget £££££ so you can increase your sppppeeeeeed.if cars done 66 mph or 50 mph restricted vehicular would not be of consideration ! But all the 50s should be ours. All ours

You could consider turning that camera off when overtaking. And continue your manouvering. Without distress ?
I'm glad you think it's funny, you stutter away.

My budget has nothing to do with idiots tailgating me, it is dangerous and illegal and I see it all the time whether it be behind cars or other trucks it is endemic, it would be impossible for the tailgating vehicle to stop in an emergency, maybe this is what causes "multiple pileups" on the news.

What has my camera got to with my overtaking? Where did I even mention my overtaking in this context? and what manoeuvring would it affect anyway?

My cam has two lenses one faces back to see following traffic, the other lens is for reversing, it is normally used as a rearview mirror until I get the idiot who thinks I can be intimidated gets so close I can no longer see the front of their vehicle, then I switch cam modes to see how close they are, if it's connected to the dash cam I take a still just in case anything happens.

??????
2 second rule where does that come from?

not sure
if I can see any vehicle in my down-facing camera
turn it off as it is a distraction
I refuse to speed up if I am either driving at a good speed for me or
keep left at these times and feeling
I feel they cannot stop if I need to,

It's not your car it's there's and as of up to now most have stopped so are you driving at the right speed. Just a thunk could you just be magnificent.!

this is good
I will slow down, anyone with any sense will back off so I can safely

you are not the police you should not interfear with other road users

manoeuver, pull in or whatever I need to do,
no this is not a my choice thing. this is courtesy that others afford to you also.

I cannot count the number of times we have seen something interesting we would like to see but have to keep going because of some idiot tailgating me so close

if you have planned your journeys that would not be a problem

cannot brake effectively to pull in or turn off.
Get your buget up and check your brakes as 3.5 is noT 2.

These stop start on high speed road are what make your journey nesisstery. You are melissous. Make friends at your journey's end

is your journey a must at peak times ? Mr 1 cup not when in van.

So off out now befor peak time . I find it cheaper at this time of day!

??????

not sure

turn it off as it is a distraction

keep left at these times and feeling

It's not your car it's there's and as of up to now most have stopped so are you driving at the right speed. Just a thunk could you just be magnificent.!

this is good

you are not the police you should not interfear with other road users

no this is not a my choice thing. this is courtesy that others afford to you also.

if you have planned your journeys that would not be a problem

cannot brake effectively to pull in or turn off.
Get your buget up and check your brakes as 3.5 is noT 2.

These stop start on high speed road are what make your journey nesisstery. You are melissous. Make friends at your journey's end

is your journey a must at peak times ? Mr 1 cup not when in van.
Forum rules stop me from replying to that post as I would like and even if I could I'm not sure I can make much sense out of it anyway so beep beep Mr 1cup you carry on as you are, would you like flowers or a donation?

I got a ticket for speeding in Motorway roadworks based on average speed cameras. :( .
Fortunately I was able to prove that I had part exchanged the vehicle two weeks before the offence. :D:D
lucky they accepted that proof :)
I got a ticket for driving in a Bus Lane in Hackney. Had sold the car two weeks previously and sent Hackney Council the DVLA confirmation showing the date of transfer. They said it didn't matter and I had to pay!
After getting more letters and demands for money, had to write to them saying any further correspondence to them will be charged at £50 a letter. No more stiupid demands after that.

One other thing to consider regarding ‘tailgating’ is the truck driver can see over the top of the car/motorhome so his vision ahead is not just the 2 feet between vehicles, not saying it’s right but it’s a point to consider, he cann’t see the cat/dog/kid that runs out in front of you granted.

One other thing to consider regarding ‘tailgating’ is the truck driver can see over the top of the car/motorhome so his vision ahead is not just the 2 feet between vehicles, not saying it’s right but it’s a point to consider, he cann’t see the cat/dog/kid that runs out in front of you granted.
It is not right, it is even worse.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:290)

RoaminRog, Nabsim, MartinFife, caledonia, rugbyken, Robmac, runnach, izwozral, mistericeman, Jo001, Charlynch, 2cv, oppy, guerdeval, mark61, campervanannie, Makzine, V1nny, SquirrellCook, NSY, clarkpeacock, r4dent, andyjanet, Gadabout2, winks, RichardHelen262, ironman, Scotia, ajb70, maingate, pamjon, jeffmossy, Alberto, Bouydog, AllanD, colin, number14, n brown, Val54, ewen, TJBi, The laird, helmit, Tonybvi, Richard Surgey, alcam, Cass, Steve and Julie, amcjam, Garali9, trevskoda, CHAIRMAN, kevlakes, Neckender, Boris7, The Jacks, chrishunter, Fisherman, jann, 955itriple, marchie, TeamRienza, colinm, RSD7a, Canalsman, Bigshug, merl, 1807truckman, RegnVal, Mossystone, hmssnake, aross, zzr1400tim, Owen M, Greengrass, GinaRon, roadroamer, jeanette, pj650, Wooie1958, chrismatthews00, knowledgeseeker, Calianbay, Eriba, hamsterberg27, Alun100, Alf, Di1234, GeordieBoy, SCRUMPY BOY, topchook, Doigy, Rutaria, Nickrock, Dethy, gasgas, Tezza33, 2Coops, Chasn, Hogweed, Heppy, mariesnowgoose, Bubble, Tim120, Libra769, Budgie, jagmanx, 1 Cup, jacquigem, saxonborg, SimonM, Drover, gripseven, Wardy73, alwaysared, Sharon the Cat, Okta, Gerti58, Lee, Wully, davep10000, belbri, wildebus, DTF, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, Biggarmac, Rivertowy, Den, harrow, petermotorhome, WingNut, witzend, Glandwr, Victor, Moonraker 2, stonedaddy, mikepilot, Mikecoo, Hornet49, bnb080, BETTSY, GeorgeK, Wightman, Redcallaway1, Debroos, cornish hymer, LostInEngland, Kennymac, specky4eyes, exwindsurfer, UFO, Wandering scots, Caz, Jiwawa, Thistle, rjmurchie, Rob H, Livotlout, iampatman, Topmast, Windy6, hank, Ogre, trevexess, mike w, bdastu, GMJ, royh28, iandsm, Chip, shortcircuit, kingfisher1, molly 2, Quiddle, davidjlambert, longtoedsloth, VandA, Smalt, Pudsey Bear, peejay, barge1914, Seelyrrem, BKCharles, grobpilot, JVG, barryd, Snuffkin, ricc, Rosehip, denmar, Wildrock, Norfolk NewBoy, myvanwy, petre4, kensowerby, BOTCANU, Tapfitter, Tartarus, flying kipper, RV2MAX, HurricaneSmith, yeoblade, Veloman, Canonball, TimSands, lthoel2, calvo, Martin P, TeamPuffin, bellars, Clunegapyears, smackaylvit, Winterskp, GWAYGWAY, bodgeitnscarper, mick n jules, Owlhouse, boggie, Moocher, wrp, dvla3336, roady987, Trotter, alca, barrypat, Ken Parsons, Horbach, Patandtubs, jonc, MoiioM, Muddypuddler, SApril, Adriafan, FiL, Mikekilbride, azzoti, Rolyan57, Martin1865, Tim1953, CuckooChaser, Rod, DAVEY, Mischief2, Hamewilldaeme, NudeJude, Walkingmox, Bazza1509, bjh, timatabsa, swedenut, Gerry Attrick, gettingolder2, Big yin, matbic, maxsdad, yogibear, mygrassisblue, Sean, regnarts, Jammers 77, Debs, AdriaTwin, jennyp19, Mr Pickled, scaley, RichardP, Alshymer, Costers, vtwinner, davidm, Rong, Jaytee, Ericwalford, shaunr68, Polar Bear, Keith777, BarryNo1, diongr, Apollo 13, Motoroamer, GlendaCoe, Mickrick, carthago, Dads Train, mrs t, KenS, beaubowmore, TonyEmm, roddew, G and T,
Back