driving on m6

He didn’t know the car was there, roll locks, even when I was driving STGO Cat 3 you’d feel resistance and vibration.

If he didn’t know then he was on something or half asleep or more likely just pissed off.

If you are getting pulled for speeding its much better its a proper traffic cop rather than a camera as they will use common sense.

I was pulled twice on my bike doing 60 in a 30mph limit and both times told to slow down. Reason they said that was it was a country village at 03:45 on the way to work. No other traffic and no people, only caught up with me because I stopped to turn right.

Third time I was doing 118 on theM180 overtaking the only other 2 cars in either direction. They pulled onto a motorway bridge to get me at 118 then shot down the slip road behind me. Chatting away in the car they showed me the lower of the two reading they got me at which was 98mph. Said at over 90 (or may have been 95) it should be compulsory court appearance and asked if I wanted to take fixed penalty or go to court. Fix penalty was 3 points and £30 fine.

In all instances they used their experience and took conditions into account, not black and white like a speed limit and a camera.

If you are getting pulled for speeding its much better its a proper traffic cop rather than a camera as they will use common sense.

I was pulled twice on my bike doing 60 in a 30mph limit and both times told to slow down. Reason they said that was it was a country village at 03:45 on the way to work. No other traffic and no people, only caught up with me because I stopped to turn right.

Third time I was doing 118 on theM180 overtaking the only other 2 cars in either direction. They pulled onto a motorway bridge to get me at 118 then shot down the slip road behind me. Chatting away in the car they showed me the lower of the two reading they got me at which was 98mph. Said at over 90 (or may have been 95) it should be compulsory court appearance and asked if I wanted to take fixed penalty or go to court. Fix penalty was 3 points and £30 fine.

In all instances they used their experience and took conditions into account, not black and white like a speed limit and a camera.
Reminds me of getting stopped by the M1 in Northampton back in '93 soon after I bought my new-to-me car.
Policeman said it was my lucky day as I was recorded at 99MPH. 100 or more and it was court, but they would give me a fixed penalty.
Didn't have that car much more than a year more though as it was a bit slow after I got a bike :)

(I have much different priorities nowadays than driving fast :) )

He didn’t know the car was there, roll locks, even when I was driving STGO Cat 3 you’d feel resistance and vibration.

If he didn’t know then he was on something or half asleep or more likely just pissed off.
Same for me..
Even with a D9 on the back you can feel cats eyes...
He was on something not to know the car was there.

talking about speed (opps, safety :rolleyes: ) cameras, I drove to Edinburgh a couple of days ago. The route is generally infested with these cameras but on this trip EVERY camera was covered with a "NOT IN USE" bag.
No idea why that was the case. The only camera I saw was on the return journey was in a camera van.

Last edited:
I forgot which road it was but on the way north last week Google lit up like Christmas with speed camera locations on a very short section of road, near Litchfield I think and we counted SEVEN Gatso and a couple of the modern tall yellow ones (what are they called?) maybe half a mile.

I forgot which road it was but on the way north last week Google lit up like Christmas with speed camera locations on a very short section of road, near Litchfield I think and we counted SEVEN Gatso and a couple of the modern tall yellow ones (what are they called?) maybe half a mile.
I think the tall yellow ones are average speed cameras, lots of both types around Lichfield due to the ongoing work for HS2 , yes, they’re still working on it.

I think the tall yellow ones are average speed cameras, lots of both types around Lichfield due to the ongoing work for HS2 , yes, they’re still working on it.
The ones with the Batman symbol are specs or average speed cameras, the ones I mean are in towns.

Last edited:
Drove through Netherlands couple of weeks ago, on all the two lane dual carriageways we where on trucks are banned from second lane, they could only overtake on three lane roads.

Drove through Netherlands couple of weeks ago, on all the two lane dual carriageways we where on trucks are banned from second lane, they could only overtake on three lane roads.
Same on parts of the M42 toward M1 Nottingham, I’m an ex trucker and see this as a good thing, problem is the limiters , if all were exactly 56mph the queues would be never ending in the left lane, it makes sense some can go a little faster to avoid this, the real answer is railways but true to form successive governments have ballsed that option up .

Same on parts of the M42 toward M1 Nottingham, I’m an ex trucker and see this as a good thing, problem is the limiters , if all were exactly 56mph the queues would be never ending in the left lane, it makes sense some can go a little faster to avoid this, the real answer is railways but true to form successive governments have ballsed that option up .
I'm baffled why the lorry being overtaken doesn't just simply lift off his throttle slightly rather than have 2 lorries side by side for mile after mile??? Is losing (literally) a second in journey time that important to truckers? or do they actually take some delight in holding up those pesky car drivers?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:290)

RoaminRog, Nabsim, MartinFife, caledonia, rugbyken, Robmac, runnach, izwozral, mistericeman, Jo001, Charlynch, 2cv, oppy, guerdeval, mark61, campervanannie, Makzine, V1nny, SquirrellCook, NSY, clarkpeacock, r4dent, andyjanet, Gadabout2, winks, RichardHelen262, ironman, Scotia, ajb70, maingate, pamjon, jeffmossy, Alberto, Bouydog, AllanD, colin, number14, n brown, Val54, ewen, TJBi, The laird, helmit, Tonybvi, Richard Surgey, alcam, Cass, Steve and Julie, amcjam, Garali9, trevskoda, CHAIRMAN, kevlakes, Neckender, Boris7, The Jacks, chrishunter, Fisherman, jann, 955itriple, marchie, TeamRienza, colinm, RSD7a, Canalsman, Bigshug, merl, 1807truckman, RegnVal, Mossystone, hmssnake, aross, zzr1400tim, Owen M, Greengrass, GinaRon, roadroamer, jeanette, pj650, Wooie1958, chrismatthews00, knowledgeseeker, Calianbay, Eriba, hamsterberg27, Alun100, Alf, Di1234, GeordieBoy, SCRUMPY BOY, topchook, Doigy, Rutaria, Nickrock, Dethy, gasgas, Tezza33, 2Coops, Chasn, Hogweed, Heppy, mariesnowgoose, Bubble, Tim120, Libra769, Budgie, jagmanx, 1 Cup, jacquigem, saxonborg, SimonM, Drover, gripseven, Wardy73, alwaysared, Sharon the Cat, Okta, Gerti58, Lee, Wully, davep10000, belbri, wildebus, DTF, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, Biggarmac, Rivertowy, Den, harrow, petermotorhome, WingNut, witzend, Glandwr, Victor, Moonraker 2, stonedaddy, mikepilot, Mikecoo, Hornet49, bnb080, BETTSY, GeorgeK, Wightman, Redcallaway1, Debroos, cornish hymer, LostInEngland, Kennymac, specky4eyes, exwindsurfer, UFO, Wandering scots, Caz, Jiwawa, Thistle, rjmurchie, Rob H, Livotlout, iampatman, Topmast, Windy6, hank, Ogre, trevexess, mike w, bdastu, GMJ, royh28, iandsm, Chip, shortcircuit, kingfisher1, molly 2, Quiddle, davidjlambert, longtoedsloth, VandA, Smalt, Pudsey Bear, peejay, barge1914, Seelyrrem, BKCharles, grobpilot, JVG, barryd, Snuffkin, ricc, Rosehip, denmar, Wildrock, Norfolk NewBoy, myvanwy, petre4, kensowerby, BOTCANU, Tapfitter, Tartarus, flying kipper, RV2MAX, HurricaneSmith, yeoblade, Veloman, Canonball, TimSands, lthoel2, calvo, Martin P, TeamPuffin, bellars, Clunegapyears, smackaylvit, Winterskp, GWAYGWAY, bodgeitnscarper, mick n jules, Owlhouse, boggie, Moocher, wrp, dvla3336, roady987, Trotter, alca, barrypat, Ken Parsons, Horbach, Patandtubs, jonc, MoiioM, Muddypuddler, SApril, Adriafan, FiL, Mikekilbride, azzoti, Rolyan57, Martin1865, Tim1953, CuckooChaser, Rod, DAVEY, Mischief2, Hamewilldaeme, NudeJude, Walkingmox, Bazza1509, bjh, timatabsa, swedenut, Gerry Attrick, gettingolder2, Big yin, matbic, maxsdad, yogibear, mygrassisblue, Sean, regnarts, Jammers 77, Debs, AdriaTwin, jennyp19, Mr Pickled, scaley, RichardP, Alshymer, Costers, vtwinner, davidm, Rong, Jaytee, Ericwalford, shaunr68, Polar Bear, Keith777, BarryNo1, diongr, Apollo 13, Motoroamer, GlendaCoe, Mickrick, carthago, Dads Train, mrs t, KenS, beaubowmore, TonyEmm, roddew, G and T,
Back