driving on m6

One other thing to consider regarding ‘tailgating’ is the truck driver can see over the top of the car/motorhome so his vision ahead is not just the 2 feet between vehicles, not saying it’s right but it’s a point to consider, he cann’t see the cat/dog/kid that runs out in front of you granted.
Sorry ...vision over the vehicle doesn't make it right in any way shape or form ...
It's appalling driving and is pretty much using their (large and heavy) vehicle as a weapon ...

They even do it to each other ...
it's just bad driving by people that frequently tell us that they "Are professional drivers"

Sadly there just aren't enough police out there to deal with it and though cameras are capable of recording it ...they are currently not set up to do so .

At my awareness course, they asked if anyone had any questions before they started. So I stuck my hand up and said that what should be done when roadsigns are illegible when they are absolutely filthy and/or often hidden by overgrown shrubbery. He said the course will cover that.

It didn't. :ROFLMAO:

At my awareness course, they asked if anyone had any questions before they started. So I stuck my hand up and said that what should be done when roadsigns are illegible when they are absolutely filthy and/or often hidden by overgrown shrubbery. He said the course will cover that.

It didn't. :ROFLMAO:
you should have reminded him. simple.

One other thing to consider regarding ‘tailgating’ is the truck driver can see over the top of the car/motorhome so his vision ahead is not just the 2 feet between vehicles,

For those of you who thought trigonometry was a waste of time in school. Try this one.
An HGV drivers eyes are 11 feet high and he is 6 feet behind a moho which is 10 feet high and 20 feet long.
How far in front of the motor home does a 15 feet long x 6 feet high 4x4 have to be for the HGV driver to see the 4x4 ?

Answer: the distance between the rear of the 4 x 4 and the front of the motorhome must be at least 89 feet.

Conclusion, an HGV drivers vision over a MoHo isn't that good. Even if he is driving dangerously close to the MoHo.

For anyone interested, the calculation is based on similar triangles and the generic formula. is
Distance between front of Moho and HGV drivers eye / Difference in height of drivers eye and MoHo roof is equal to
Distance between front of 4x4 and HGV drivers eye / Difference in height of drivers eye and 4x4 roof.

In the example above where GAP is distance between back of 4x4 and front of MoHo
(20 + 6) / (11-10) =(15 +GAP + 20 + 6) / (11- 6)
26 = (41 + GAP) /5
130 = 41 + GAP
GAP = 89.

QED

It is raining at the moment and I've just finished watching the Highlights of he Canadian F1.

Recently driven over a thousand miles on some of the busiest trucking roads and the only tailgating from truck drivers was on the stretch from home to Dover, once in EU despite there being lines of trucks never noticed one incidence of tailgating.

This was on the M6 a while back

From memory the driver of the HGV had no clue the car was there ...

Most lorrys now have a nearside low level night day camera , and we now see Them coming so that's reduced now. And you don't notice unless it's a white car as tarmac is black about 400m befor notice he was there from white roof.

But he was a creeper / loiter on M60 so I never see him only his roof. As there was no crash bang wallop.

Most lorrys now have a nearside low level night day camera , and we now see Them coming so that's reduced now. And you don't notice unless it's a white car as tarmac is black about 400m befor notice he was there from white roof.

But he was a creeper / loiter on M60 so I never see him only his roof. As there was no crash bang wallop.
Sorry BUT if you can't feel the impact/hear the howling from tyres and the passing motorists horns ...

Then there is something seriously wrong somewhere

For those of you who thought trigonometry was a waste of time in school. Try this one.
An HGV drivers eyes are 11 feet high and he is 6 feet behind a moho which is 10 feet high and 20 feet long.
How far in front of the motor home does a 15 feet long x 6 feet high 4x4 have to be for the HGV driver to see the 4x4 ?

Answer: the distance between the rear of the 4 x 4 and the front of the motorhome must be at least 89 feet.

Conclusion, an HGV drivers vision over a MoHo isn't that good. Even if he is driving dangerously close to the MoHo.

For anyone interested, the calculation is based on similar triangles and the generic formula. is
Distance between front of Moho and HGV drivers eye / Difference in height of drivers eye and MoHo roof is equal to
Distance between front of 4x4 and HGV drivers eye / Difference in height of drivers eye and 4x4 roof.

In the example above where GAP is distance between back of 4x4 and front of MoHo
(20 + 6) / (11-10) =(15 +GAP + 20 + 6) / (11- 6)
26 = (41 + GAP) /5
130 = 41 + GAP
GAP = 89.

QED

It is raining at the moment and I've just finished watching the Highlights of he Canadian F1.

I like the British Russian but he does go on

Sorry BUT if you can't feel the impact/hear the howling from tyres and the passing motorists horns ...

Then there is something seriously wrong somewhere
There is no impact with side swipes.
400m I thought that responce, was good at 56mph with no notifications.

you should have reminded him. simple.
David, You must have known there was unlikely to be a robust answer, which is the reason I asked it. :) In all honesty, I just wanted to get home asap with no points on my licence.

It happened to a pal in Prague, who had just picked me up from the airport, and later turned left. When stopped by the police he told them that there was no sign stating it shouldn't be done. So the policemen smiled, pulled back the shrubbery, and showed him the completely hidden 'No Left Turn' sign. It was immediately obvious, that was why they were lurking there. :(

There is no impact with side swipes.
400m I thought that responce, was good at 56mph with no notifications.
The driver from memory reckoned he had no idea ....

No idea of the driver of the car sounding the horn
Screeching of tyres
Drivers of other vehicles using their horns etc ....

Sorry ....no excuse for the just bad driving from the HGV driver

After the incident of mine on the M60 the man looked like hes seen a ghost / death. Couldn't stop shaking only burnt paint and cracked headlight on the T cab.
More up and down than side to side scratches.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:290)

RoaminRog, Nabsim, MartinFife, caledonia, rugbyken, Robmac, runnach, izwozral, mistericeman, Jo001, Charlynch, 2cv, oppy, guerdeval, mark61, campervanannie, Makzine, V1nny, SquirrellCook, NSY, clarkpeacock, r4dent, andyjanet, Gadabout2, winks, RichardHelen262, ironman, Scotia, ajb70, maingate, pamjon, jeffmossy, Alberto, Bouydog, AllanD, colin, number14, n brown, Val54, ewen, TJBi, The laird, helmit, Tonybvi, Richard Surgey, alcam, Cass, Steve and Julie, amcjam, Garali9, trevskoda, CHAIRMAN, kevlakes, Neckender, Boris7, The Jacks, chrishunter, Fisherman, jann, 955itriple, marchie, TeamRienza, colinm, RSD7a, Canalsman, Bigshug, merl, 1807truckman, RegnVal, Mossystone, hmssnake, aross, zzr1400tim, Owen M, Greengrass, GinaRon, roadroamer, jeanette, pj650, Wooie1958, chrismatthews00, knowledgeseeker, Calianbay, Eriba, hamsterberg27, Alun100, Alf, Di1234, GeordieBoy, SCRUMPY BOY, topchook, Doigy, Rutaria, Nickrock, Dethy, gasgas, Tezza33, 2Coops, Chasn, Hogweed, Heppy, mariesnowgoose, Bubble, Tim120, Libra769, Budgie, jagmanx, 1 Cup, jacquigem, saxonborg, SimonM, Drover, gripseven, Wardy73, alwaysared, Sharon the Cat, Okta, Gerti58, Lee, Wully, davep10000, belbri, wildebus, DTF, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, Biggarmac, Rivertowy, Den, harrow, petermotorhome, WingNut, witzend, Glandwr, Victor, Moonraker 2, stonedaddy, mikepilot, Mikecoo, Hornet49, bnb080, BETTSY, GeorgeK, Wightman, Redcallaway1, Debroos, cornish hymer, LostInEngland, Kennymac, specky4eyes, exwindsurfer, UFO, Wandering scots, Caz, Jiwawa, Thistle, rjmurchie, Rob H, Livotlout, iampatman, Topmast, Windy6, hank, Ogre, trevexess, mike w, bdastu, GMJ, royh28, iandsm, Chip, shortcircuit, kingfisher1, molly 2, Quiddle, davidjlambert, longtoedsloth, VandA, Smalt, Pudsey Bear, peejay, barge1914, Seelyrrem, BKCharles, grobpilot, JVG, barryd, Snuffkin, ricc, Rosehip, denmar, Wildrock, Norfolk NewBoy, myvanwy, petre4, kensowerby, BOTCANU, Tapfitter, Tartarus, flying kipper, RV2MAX, HurricaneSmith, yeoblade, Veloman, Canonball, TimSands, lthoel2, calvo, Martin P, TeamPuffin, bellars, Clunegapyears, smackaylvit, Winterskp, GWAYGWAY, bodgeitnscarper, mick n jules, Owlhouse, boggie, Moocher, wrp, dvla3336, roady987, Trotter, alca, barrypat, Ken Parsons, Horbach, Patandtubs, jonc, MoiioM, Muddypuddler, SApril, Adriafan, FiL, Mikekilbride, azzoti, Rolyan57, Martin1865, Tim1953, CuckooChaser, Rod, DAVEY, Mischief2, Hamewilldaeme, NudeJude, Walkingmox, Bazza1509, bjh, timatabsa, swedenut, Gerry Attrick, gettingolder2, Big yin, matbic, maxsdad, yogibear, mygrassisblue, Sean, regnarts, Jammers 77, Debs, AdriaTwin, jennyp19, Mr Pickled, scaley, RichardP, Alshymer, Costers, vtwinner, davidm, Rong, Jaytee, Ericwalford, shaunr68, Polar Bear, Keith777, BarryNo1, diongr, Apollo 13, Motoroamer, GlendaCoe, Mickrick, carthago, Dads Train, mrs t, KenS, beaubowmore, TonyEmm, roddew, G and T,
Back