driving on m6

The only speed awareness course I've ever had to do I found the bloke "lecturing" us did a great job.

I actually enjoyed it and learned quite a lot! He certainly wasn't "opinionated" or judgemental, so I concur with wildebus.

Seems you have an opinion on the subject, but not ever attended a course...?! 🤔 ;)😄
I attended a course several years ago,my experience was as described, an opinionated ex copper topping up his pension so I chose not to repeat the experience. :cry:

I was done (good few years back) by the camera on some A1 roadworks heading south to the NEC Birmingham with a friend, so reckon me and wildebus will definitely not be the only ones, Jim 🙂
It seems the A1 is a favourite spot for them, I was flashed on the A1 in a HGV (mass detector on the camera) ,lucky for me they were too slow issuing the ticket so I attended court in person in Alnwick to fight the case and won, even the magistrate was unaware the ticket has to be received within 2 weeks .

Last speed awareness course was presented by an ex motorcycle cop ...

Knowledgeable and down to earth ...

There were a lot of moaning know it Alls taking part about how unfair getting caught speeding was ...
I actually found it useful and came away having learnt quite a few things ...

I suspect there are 2 ways of looking at speed awareness courses ..

1. it's better than 3 points but all coppers are out to earn money from you .

2. You AREN'T actually as good at driving as you thought
And You can actually learn something and come away a better driver .

Last speed awareness course was presented by an ex motorcycle cop ...

Knowledgeable and down to earth ...

There were a lot of moaning know it Alls taking part about how unfair getting caught speeding was ...
I actually found it useful and came away having learnt quite a few things ...

I suspect there are 2 ways of looking at speed awareness courses ..

1. it's better than 3 points but all coppers are out to earn money from you .

2. You AREN'T actually as good at driving as you thought
And You can actually learn something and come away a better driver .
I cann’t disagree with the sentiments behind the scheme as long as the way its delivered is consistent ,I’m actually an ex driving instructor on cars and HGV’s so I know a ‘good’ driver when I see one but imho it’s observation that lets most drivers down most of the time, anyone can competently operate a car,it’s just a machine but knowing what goes on around them is where driving skills really lie and where lives are saved (allegedly).

I cann’t disagree with the sentiments behind the scheme as long as the way its delivered is consistent ,I’m actually an ex driving instructor on cars and HGV’s so I know a ‘good’ driver when I see one but imho it’s observation that lets most drivers down most of the time, anyone can competently operate a car,it’s just a machine but knowing what goes on around them is where driving skills really lie and where lives are saved (allegedly).
Yes I agree, observation is important. I learned that (and defensive driving) while driving in the Middle East.

Every local chap had a box of tissues on his dashboard but there were 2 signs I looked for. If he was picking his nose he was awake. If he was not, he was asleep. :giggle:

We drove up the A1 on Friday, several trucks hogging both lanes for several miles the inside lane truck should just back off a little it isn't a bloody race track, no prizes, and let the faster truck with its limiter on get past so other traffic can get a move on, or get a better truck.

We drove up the A1 on Friday, several trucks hogging both lanes for several miles the inside lane truck should just back off a little it isn't a bloody race track, no prizes, and let the faster truck with its limiter on get past so other traffic can get a move on, or get a better truck.
Yet alone the ones fully loaded about 18" away from the one in front ....

"Professional drivers" though ...

Had this many times on the A1 Kev.

We clocked it once and we were behind an overtaking lorry for 12 miles once, the queue behind was horrendous.

I assume from your comments you drive or operate a truck if so you might be able to answer me.

Can you tell me the purpose of a truck getting so close to the back of my van that I can see you in my down-facing reversing camera?

The above also applies to fast cars and idiots who think they own the road.

If it is to intimidate me then That isn't going to work, I'll just slow down until they back off a decent amount, I drive at the speed I want to drive as I am on holiday, and they would also be recorded on the dash cam fitted to the rear window.

I accept that they have a job to do but making a driver nervous is not the best way to go in any circumstances, if I am on a dual carriageway I'll do around 50mph, a motorway up to 60 perhaps, I am on holiday so they could just overtake me, blasting the horn is optional, I drove for 30 years so I'm not in a hurry, on a single carriageway I might be happy at 30-40, so as I drive on my mirrors anyway, I will know if I have anyone behind and when possible or convenient I'll pull over, if it's a single track road then I will use the passing spaces, assuming some cretin hasn't parked in one and gone walkies.

With regards for speeding on motorway average speed cameras I had a speed awareness course for travelling at 51 mph in a 50 mph zone on the M4 north of Bristol.
still cost over £80 for the course

Just proves that the 10% + 2mph 'rule' doesn't apply everywhere.

Average and stationary look a little different as taken from the advanced drivers site
Average speed cameras

Average speed cameras work slightly differently from fixed and mobile speed cameras. Your speed is monitored over a few miles instead of the immediate speed you are doing when crossing a fixed camera. Average-speed cameras are more accurate and may not carry any tolerances at all.

Average and stationary look a little different as taken from the advanced drivers site
Average speed cameras

Average speed cameras work slightly differently from fixed and mobile speed cameras. Your speed is monitored over a few miles instead of the immediate speed you are doing when crossing a fixed camera. Average-speed cameras are more accurate and may not carry any tolerances at all.
Probably. I think 51 in a 50 is draconian though!

I usually have my GPS speedo going so I'm bang on the speed, but idiots still come flying past me, the message isn't getting out to them.

Slow The EFF Down.

They normally don't impose speed limits just for fun, it's to save lives.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back