Damage sustained to van while in garage

The guy at O’Learys is very knowledgeable Barry, if you give him make model and year and maybe send the pics I bet he will know if they are on something else.

Yes. I think my motorhome guy is on first name terms with him and tried him earlier today. No luck I dont think. I might try a two pronged attack though and try myself.

EECO only require the perspex part of the window to be sent, removing which is probably a DIY job. They also ask you to remove all catches, hinges, etc., which you retain in order to fit the replacement.
I did this 5 years ago, and when they received the window it transpired that they had thought that they had the requisite mould but didn't. The price went up to more than a full replacement from the current manufacturer, so I told them to forget it. Fortunately, they had arranged collection at their expense!

Oh dear. That dont sound good.

Oh dear. That dont sound good.
Just worth double-checking that they do have the mould before asking them to have the windows collected!
It wasn't difficult removing the window and I cut a piece of plywood to cover the hole to weatherproof as stored outside. Drove it like that to the dealer who fitted the replacement (which was a different design to the original as the original manufacturer had gone out of business, so not just a straight swop as it would have been with EECO).

Just a thought but do you reckon given that the broken bits of windows are the painted black bits do you think a good body shop could repair them? Sorry if this is a daft question but it would be a lot less hassle and less of a PIA if they could. Might avoid a legal challenge then as these guys despite their negligence here are pretty good. The Body shop is separate to the garage.

Surely, if the motorhome was in the garage for repair then it was under their care and their insurance ( if they have any ) should be paying for the damage ?

That seems to be correct. I think the issue is how and if it can be repaired and by who. I dont have time to deal with it today. I just know its going to get tricky though.

Just before I go out Ive managed to get hold of the garage and spoke to the guy thats been dealing with it. His boss (the owner) is aware and they are still playing ball. Told him the cost of the replacement windows which he didnt seem surprised about but we are both in agreement that I need to bring it back and see what they can do with it themselves. Wont be next week though. They need to clear space in the body shop. Ive said I want it looking at in the next two weeks though.

Snag is Barry took it away before telling them surely thats a get out clause for them

They already knocked the cost of the gas locker door lock off their bill and it sounds like they are admitting liability for the rest but yes, I wish I had spotted it all before I picked it up. I have used them for 30+ years though and on the odd occasions stuff has gone wrong they have been pretty good. We will see.

Not looking good this. No response from the garage yet and I think they are deliberately not answering my emails. Either that or just incompetent. Im giving them until tomorrow then Im contacting the owner directly.

Not looking good this. No response from the garage yet and I think they are deliberately not answering my emails. Either that or just incompetent. Im giving them until tomorrow then Im contacting the owner directly.
Maybe just human nature coming into play ?
Nobody will be too keen to be 'it' on your job/complaint

Got to speak to the owner this morning. It didnt go well. In fact it was a pretty pointless conversation as he just lost it. Long story short he has no intention of taking any responsibility and is blaming his staff and me for leaving the van outside for so long! you couldnt make it up. He lost it so much he even started rambling on about just shutting everything down as he's had enough. It was at this point that I realised it was a pointless conversation. He then said he was off over the road to the main garage to play Merry hell and give them what for and to speak to him tomorrow when he has calmed down. There is no way I am going to get anywhere with this guy in his current state of mind. So what now?

Got to speak to the owner this morning. It didnt go well. In fact it was a pretty pointless conversation as he just lost it. Long story short he has no intention of taking any responsibility and is blaming his staff and me for leaving the van outside for so long! you couldnt make it up. He lost it so much he even started rambling on about just shutting everything down as he's had enough. It was at this point that I realised it was a pointless conversation. He then said he was off over the road to the main garage to play Merry hell and give them what for and to speak to him tomorrow when he has calmed down. There is no way I am going to get anywhere with this guy in his current state of mind. So what now?
Solicitor,take legal advice.

Got to speak to the owner this morning. It didn't go well. In fact it was a pretty pointless conversation as he just lost it. Long story short he has no intention of taking any responsibility and is blaming his staff and me for leaving the van outside for so long! you couldn't make it up. He lost it so much he even started rambling on about just shutting everything down as he's had enough. It was at this point that I realised it was a pointless conversation. He then said he was off over the road to the main garage to play Merry hell and give them what for and to speak to him tomorrow when he has calmed down. There is no way I am going to get anywhere with this guy in his current state of mind. So what now?
Speak to him tomorrow when he's calmed down! :) I seem to recall that you've had a good relationship with him in the past; perhaps something else happened today to stress him out. If you get nowhere then, consider a legal route. Does your moho insurance include cover for legal costs?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back