Damage sustained to van while in garage

barryd

I posted about the gas locker the other day but I've just noticed that two windows (Kitchen and same side rear lounge) and the hab door frame have been damaged also. Well Michelle noticed, not Mr unobservant!

Looks like the Kitchen window has been jemmied, the rear lounge window (Same side) and the hab door. They clearly never got in though. Question is where will I get replacement Windows for a 1996 Swift Kontiki? not sure what we will do with the door frame. Maybe the garage body shop can sort that.

My Motorhome Mr Fixit is going to try O'Leary's and shop around and ill do the same but any suggestions of where to obtain the windows greatly appreciated.

Not happy! :(

Stick 1996 Swift kontiki (along ideally with the model designation) window

Into Google ....

That's all I did to find the lock the other day

Yep been trying since I posted this. Not getting very far. Sent off a few emails to suppliers / breakers and my motorhome guy is going to call O'learys. I dont think this one is going to be quite so easy.

Yep been trying since I posted this. Not getting very far. Sent off a few emails to suppliers / breakers and my motorhome guy is going to call O'learys. I dont think this one is going to be quite so easy.
What model is it ?

What model is it ?

Its a 1996 Swift Kontiki 640. Ive taken the measurements but my motorhome guy is doubtful I have them correct as he's now asking for them from within the wooden frames which are hard to get to although I wonder if I can do that with the windows wide open from outside. I just measured the inside from the rubber fixings.

External measurements

Kitchen window 57.3cm across x 58cm down

Rear lounge side window (Same side as kitchen) 97.5cm across x 61cm down

Internal aperture measurements.

Kitchen window aperture inside is 48cm across, 50cm tall

Rear lounge is 88cm across, 53 tall.

Thanks. Yes I tried them. Been on to a fair few. They asked for measurement's which Ive given them but the ones they came back with are slightly different in that they are bigger by 2-5 cm. £315 and £350 each. I think Im going to run the van up to my motorhome guy next week and let him measure it properly as I think he will need to take the rubber surrounds off to get at the aperture properly. I aint doing that. The more I get involved the more its pissing me off. I couldnt believe it when I went down to the garage and saw where they were leaving my van.

If you could live without having opening windows then thick perspex with a upvc beading frame would be a quick, easy and cheap answer. https://www.plasticsheets.com/clear-perspex-acrylic-sheet/

Nah. Not an option. The way this is shaping up I think I may well throw the problem back at the garage and maybe get insurance company involved. I think its often a bit of a grey area though. still on the hunt at the moment. Asked for a quote from these people but it would be far easier to just find someone breaking an old Kontiki. https://eeco-ltd.co.uk/replacement-windows

Dull one Barry, although difficult to get a clear picture, the indents at the various points of door, should dress out, although not completely.

I have had a quote back from these guys that someone on FACTS recommended. https://eeco-ltd.co.uk/replacement-windows and FB.

Going to be well north of £800 for the two windows and you have to remove your windows, send them off and basically they replicate them. Takes a couple of weeks. Courier service back is about fifty quid per window so by the time I have factored in my mr Fixit doing the work we will be well north of a £1000. I am starting to think it best to hand the entire thing back to my garage where the damage was done, forward them the quotes and ask them to sort it. Here I suspect is where it might get messy. I suspect the owner is not aware yet and whilst they are being affable now I wonder how long that will last when they see how much it is going to cost. They do have an excellent body shop though.

I have had a quote back from these guys that someone on FACTS recommended. https://eeco-ltd.co.uk/replacement-windows and FB.

Going to be well north of £800 for the two windows and you have to remove your windows, send them off and basically they replicate them. Takes a couple of weeks. Courier service back is about fifty quid per window so by the time I have factored in my mr Fixit doing the work we will be well north of a £1000. I am starting to think it best to hand the entire thing back to my garage where the damage was done, forward them the quotes and ask them to sort it. Here I suspect is where it might get messy. I suspect the owner is not aware yet and whilst they are being affable now I wonder how long that will last when they see how much it is going to cost. They do have an excellent body shop though.

I suppose the problem is proof that it was OK when you left the van and not when it was picked up, whuch was how many days ago?

Do they have any CCTV, or any others nearby that would see it? You'd probably need the police to ask for that, and as stated elsewhere they're probably not interested, but they should at least give you a crime number.

I suppose the problem is proof that it was OK when you left the van and not when it was picked up, whuch was how many days ago?

Do they have any CCTV, or any others nearby that would see it? You'd probably need the police to ask for that, and as stated elsewhere they're probably not interested, but they should at least give you a crime number.

They were very quick to knock off the price of the lock for the gas locker a couple of days ago when I noticed it was damaged and when I spoke to the guy earlier today he was certainly affable to sorting it. We will see. Trouble is the lady who kind of runs the place who I have known for 30 years has all but packed up and is only there one day a week now. I think she would be the one to speak to.

Well that's good, and if she's known you that long she should know you wouldn't try to con them. 👍

I has the gas burner go missing from my old Sundance 520 a few years ago - apparently they were known for being vulnerable. There was no proof whether it went missing here or while in for some work, but the dealer was decent enough to split the cost 50/50. I suspect he had a spare in stock anyway, but even so he could have denied any responsibility. Decent dealers do exist. 🙂

A lesson from Barry misfortune, if you have take your vehicle or car to a repair shop, run around the vehicle and record vehicle condition on the date of handover.

Shame one has to take these precautions these days.

Possibly worth contacting Swift to see if they can tell you IF those windows were used on their other caravan models (lots are/were )

Then maybe a Google for that ?

Not a bad idea. Ive drawn a blank so far but gave up earlier this afternoon as it was just seriously pissing me off and I need a clear head for a job tomorrow so dont need winding up anymore. Garage were supposed to call me back this afternoon and they haven't. I reckon they should take it on and shell out on their insurance for the new windows Ive now been quoted for and they can take them out and fit them.

Ill take that battle on next week though.

The guy at O’Learys is very knowledgeable Barry, if you give him make model and year and maybe send the pics I bet he will know if they are on something else.

EECO only require the perspex part of the window to be sent, removing which is probably a DIY job. They also ask you to remove all catches, hinges, etc., which you retain in order to fit the replacement.
I did this 5 years ago, and when they received the window it transpired that they had thought that they had the requisite mould but didn't. The price went up to more than a full replacement from the current manufacturer, so I told them to forget it. Fortunately, they had arranged collection at their expense!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back