Damage sustained to van while in garage

Well some progress. Went down today with the van and met with the owner. He did indeed have two pieces of window the garage staff found which are 100% off my van and he now acknowledges that the incident took place while parked on the road while they had it. However there are still two bits missing and without them I dont think they can do a repair. The door he thinks he can fix. He was going off to see if he could find the other bits.

He still doesnt think its his responsibility though and just keeps blaming his staff over at the main garage (he is at the body shop). However he has promised to "get it sorted". They were talking about getting windows from a breakers so I have emailed him the measurements but so far my attempts to locate them have drawn a blank. Both Kev (Pudsey) and myself have been searching. I have also forwarded him the quote from EE Co for the new ones (about £800).

I think all I can do for now is try and locate some used ones but its like looking for a needle in a haystack. A repair or used windows will be a lot less hassle I think than the new ones.

Well some progress. Went down today with the van and met with the owner. He did indeed have two pieces of window the garage staff found which are 100% off my van and he now acknowledges that the incident took place while parked on the road while they had it. However there are still two bits missing and without them I dont think they can do a repair. The door he thinks he can fix. He was going off to see if he could find the other bits.

He still doesnt think its his responsibility though and just keeps blaming his staff over at the main garage (he is at the body shop). However he has promised to "get it sorted". They were talking about getting windows from a breakers so I have emailed him the measurements but so far my attempts to locate them have drawn a blank. Both Kev (Pudsey) and myself have been searching. I have also forwarded him the quote from EE Co for the new ones (about £800).

I think all I can do for now is try and locate some used ones but its like looking for a needle in a haystack. A repair or used windows will be a lot less hassle I think than the new ones.
His staff=his responsibility.
You tried crazy caravans already ?

His staff=his responsibility.
You tried crazy caravans already ?

Yes of course but I am not dealing with someone who is rational. He honestly sounds like he is ready to just jack it all in. So my approach (For now) is calm but firm.

Yes I tried them. They sent me some prices for new but the sizes were wrong. I just need to find someone breaking a Kontiki 640 really but its not easy and I quickly lose the will to live. Not the best of communicators a lot of these places.

Have you tried these people Barry?

They used to be based at Blaenavon but after a fire they have now moved. They used to have quite a large stock of spares for caravans and motorhomes but I don't know how well they have recovered since the fire.

Have you tried these people Barry?

They used to be based at Blaenavon but after a fire they have now moved. They used to have quite a large stock of spares for caravans and motorhomes but I don't know how well they have recovered since the fire.

No. Not tried them. Just fired off an email with the measurements.

Cheers Rob.

Yes of course but I am not dealing with someone who is rational. He honestly sounds like he is ready to just jack it all in. So my approach (For now) is calm but firm.

Yes I tried them. They sent me some prices for new but the sizes were wrong. I just need to find someone breaking a Kontiki 640 really but its not easy and I quickly lose the will to live. Not the best of communicators a lot of these places.
Bought windows from them recently . £400(?) each . Just supplied the code on the window . Apologies , I know I'm stating the obvious. Just thinking out loud .
Yes your man does sound like a 'kid gloves only' case

Various sizes given, possible match?

Various sizes given, possible match?

Thanks. I contacted them yesterday. No phone number just a contact form and no address. No answer as such and they say they wont reply if they dont have them.

Potentially some good news. The Garage have just emailed me to say they have found the other bits of window and they think they can do a repair. Bizarre. Im going to let them have a go next Thursday. The one thing I will say is their body shop work is really good so if they can effect a repair without all the hassle of finding new or second hand windows the latter of which is proving impossible its worth a go I think.

Potentially some good news. The Garage have just emailed me to say they have found the other bits of window and they think they can do a repair. Bizarre. Im going to let them have a go next Thursday. The one thing I will say is their body shop work is really good so if they can effect a repair without all the hassle of finding new or second hand windows the latter of which is proving impossible its worth a go I think.
Just so long as they don't try welding them. ;)

Well if the 'van catches light there can be no argument about responsibility!
The original warning resulted from a phone call that I received back in the late 1970s, when I worked for a manufacturer of conveyor belting. Someone at a new plant in, IIRC, County Cork, had an extremely urgent requirement for a belt for a bucket elevator in a new plant that was being commissioned. I thought it somewhat strange that the belt had not been ordered in good time. It transpired that it had been, and had been delivered to site and placed on the elevator to await joining by the vulcanisers. A team that had been involved in the steel fabrication was at a loose end and decided to give a hand by welding the belt...

So the van went in this morning to have its windows and door frame repaired. Went back down to pick it up just now and then drive it up to Newton Aycliffe for MOT test tomorrow. Its not a bad job but I'm in two minds what to do. The door frame is ok but you can definitely see the joins in the plastic on the window and on the inside its quite rough where they repaired it but you will only see that when the windows are open. Had I been responsible for this I think I would have just accepted it and thought it was ok. Its an old van and its pretty battered. I will see what Michelle says when she sees it but I reckon she wont be happy. It wouldn't be so bad had the owner not been so abusive and full of rage and taken responsibility. Even today, very abrupt and as yet still no apology.

Im in two minds to just have nothing more to do with him but take it to the small claims court. Dont know. Its a lot of hassle. See what tomorrow brings. MOT centre might condemn it! :D

So the van went in this morning to have its windows and door frame repaired. Went back down to pick it up just now and then drive it up to Newton Aycliffe for MOT test tomorrow. Its not a bad job but I'm in two minds what to do. The door frame is ok but you can definitely see the joins in the plastic on the window and on the inside its quite rough where they repaired it but you will only see that when the windows are open. Had I been responsible for this I think I would have just accepted it and thought it was ok. Its an old van and its pretty battered. I will see what Michelle says when she sees it but I reckon she wont be happy. It wouldn't be so bad had the owner not been so abusive and full of rage and taken responsibility. Even today, very abrupt and as yet still no apology.

Im in two minds to just have nothing more to do with him but take it to the small claims court. Dont know. Its a lot of hassle. See what tomorrow brings. MOT centre might condemn it! :D

If you were responsible you'd accept the repair , fair enough . But you are , in that case , due compensation.
Whether that is enough to keep you (both) happy is another matter .
Don't think garage proprietor does himself any favours . He actually sounds like an utter twat

Got to agree with alcam on this, why should you accept a second rate job for something you didn't do.
The proprietar can be as arsey as he likes but he was responsible for leaving your mh in an unsecured place.
It all depends on if you have the energy to see this through to your satisfaction.

Another consideration, will the windows be weaker and easier to break into now?

No I dont think they will be easier to break into. It was a half arsed attempt anyway. It was just the corners.

See what tomorrow brings and the MOT and what Michelle thinks of it when she sees it. It just angers me that after 30 years of my custom its come to this. There are two parts to this business and I rarely dealt with the owner and the body shop but he knows me, he knows I have even put business his way over all those decades as well as bringing my own vehicles in and this is how he behaves. As I said earlier though, he has clearly lost the plot. I wont be dealing with him again but I am tempted to take him to court. Just not sure I can be bothered with the hassle of it all and no doubt it will then eat into the summer season and using the van.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back