Congestion Zone charges

That is not evidence, Colin. It is one person's reaction. Never mind.

Steve
Ok then just Google it, you will then find the evidence you want, I posted my own experience to emphasize the studies, because as you can see above people like Geof hate the studies which show Londons LEZ actually works.

That's just your anecdotal impression. The fact is that pollution in London is now low and hence pollution is not a valid reason to expand the ULEZ. Two sources that provide actual measurements (as opposed to the modelling that TfL etc. seem to rely on):

So where's the monitor for ultra fine particulates? You know, the ones produced by ICE which have no specs.

So where's the monitor for ultra fine particulates? You know, the ones produced by ICE which have no specs.
You mean PM2.5, as that's particles 2.5 micron and smaller. You only need follow your own suggestion and 'Google' it. Check the links I posted upthread, both have this data. For example, from the first link, here's the latest for Hackney Old Street -- chosen just because it's in the centre of the city:

1685820794670.png

You mean PM2.5, as that's particles 2.5 micron and smaller. You only need follow your own suggestion and 'Google' it. Check the links I posted upthread, both have this data. For example, from the first link, here's the latest for Hackney Old Street -- chosen just because it's in the centre of the city:

View attachment 120420
No I said ultra fine particulates, you know, those ones the manufacturers don't like to mention, and the ones they can't do anything about, the ones that go straight through your lungs and enter every other organ in the body.

No I said ultra fine particulates, you know, those ones the manufacturers don't like to mention, and the ones they can't do anything about, the ones that go straight through your lungs and enter every other organ in the body.
You're going to have to give me a reference (and preferably a link) to formal studies where "ultra fine particles" are not covered by PM2.5. By definition, PM2.5 includes all particles from molecular size up to 2.5 microns and so must include "ultra fine particles" unless sub-molecular. That said, I suspect that this is the same pollution that EVs produce more of than modern ICEs...

You're going to have to give me a reference (and preferably a link) to formal studies where "ultra fine particles" are not covered by PM2.5. By definition, PM2.5 includes all particles from molecular size up to 2.5 microns and so must include "ultra fine particles" unless sub-molecular. That said, I suspect that this is the same pollution that EVs produce more of than modern ICEs...
Nope EV's don't emit PM1 or at least very little, it's mainly from combustion ICE being a prime source, standard monitoring that you have linked to doesn't cover it. Maybe you need to do some research, the info out there and not difficult to find, unless you don't want to find it.

Nope EV's don't emit PM1 or at least very little, it's mainly from combustion ICE being a prime source, standard monitoring that you have linked to doesn't cover it. Maybe you need to do some research, the info out there and not difficult to find, unless you don't want to find it.
Thanks for the pointer. Searching for PM1 produces stuff from the US that notes PM1 is anything with an aerodynamic size of 1 micron or smaller and includes dust, combustion products, bacteria and viruses. EVs produce this in the form of dust from road, tyre and (to a lesser extent) brake wear. Also, each category includes categories smaller. So PM10 includes PM2.5, which includes PM1. So, according to my research, neither the WHO nor the EU specifically monitor PM1. However, they implicitly do because the monitoring stations monitor PM2.5, which includes PM1.

Although there is speculation that PM1 might be linked to some deadly conditions no causal link is yet established AFAICT. Even studies funded by those who stand to gain from this being say something like, "At worst, PM1 may contribute to..."

I think we're in danger of starting lap 2 of this discussion!

If we wish to achieve Clean Air, then charging polluters for an exemption is stupid. It does make a lot of money for the local authority who just need to sit back and count the cash that can be used to supplement other budgets

If we wish to achieve Clean Air for our children et seq sake, then permitting woodstoves that produce carcinogens is equally stupid.

And if we want Clean Air, why do we permit Office Air Con systems to pump out their emissions?

Motorists = Easy Target?

Steve
Honestly don't think you are actually reading my posts !
Vehicles (ICE) do pollute the air in city streets. I have stated (I think more than once) I've no idea about other sources of pollution.
Eliminating/reducing air pollution in city streets is surely (!) a good thing .

Vehicles (ICE) do pollute the air in city streets. I have stated (I think more than once) I've no idea about other sources of pollution.
Eliminating/reducing air pollution is not necessarily a good thing if the costs outweigh the benefits. In extremis, there would be a total ban on all vehicles, a total ban on all forms of heating and a total ban on all forms of energy use (e.g. appliances like cookers and refrigerators) likely to cause the slightest particulate emissions. While that would certainly reduce air pollution, people would die in their thousands from cold and starvation. Urban pollution is pretty much inevitable. The 'trick' is to create the minimum pollution commensurate with allowing people to get on with their lives. YMMV, but IMO road traffic pollution has already reduced to this level and further reduction must be to the detriment of those who live and work in the areas affected. For info, according to the Air Quality England website, currently (07:15 4th June 2023) every monitoring station in England that is not offline is reporting low pollution.

Just goes to show how wrong one can be ...

Steve

We drove to Scotland earlier this year in our Euro 5 car ( we live in France) and were able to drive into Glasgow and Edinburgh because the emission zones weren’t active then. We will be visiting again later in the year in our Euro 6 motorhome. Obviously, our vehicles are French registered and I wondered how foreign vehicles would get on when the zones become active. There is no way to check if foreign registered vehicles are compliant, so I wrote to Glasgow council asking them.
Here is their very helpful reply…..

All vehicles will be checked against various available databases for compliance, including DVLA records and manufacturers databases held by our systems providers. No action by owners is required.

Regards

Dom Callaghan
Assistant Manager (Sustainability)
Neighbourhoods, Regeneration and Sustainability
Glasgow City Council
231 George Street
Glasgow
G1 1RX

Most monitoring stations aren't able to accurately detect PM1, and no vehicle Euro level include any measures to reduce them, that is because they have so far been unable to be reduced.

Last edited:
Looking at the website I was surprised to see that Ladybower rated a 3 same as central London, not sure I'd rely on it at all.

Makes interesting reading this thread, whatever side of the fence you sit.
Just out of interest and not wishing to cause distraction I thought I would look up Blue Flag beaches, also interesting.

Most monitoring stations aren't able to accurately detect PM1, and no vehicle Euro level include any measures to reduce them, that is because they have so far been unable to be reduced.
From your first link:

Some sources of PM1 are naturally occurring, such as mineral fragments and aerosols from sea spray.1 But by far, the majority of airborne PM1 originates from human activity, such as:
  • emissions from factories and other industrial activity
  • vehicle exhaust
  • tire particles from vehicle use
  • smoke from wildfires or indoor wood-burning
Because human activity makes up the bulk of PM1 sources, densely populated urban areas, especially those with busy roadways or industrial facilities, are especially prone to PM1 pollution as well as other types of particle pollution.

Note that vehicle exhaust is only one of many sources of PM1 and that it's disingenuous to blame it all on vehicle exhausts. FWIW, the highest PM1 pollution in London is actually found in the Underground, not on the roads, and the highest PM2.5 (according to your link, an estimated 75% of which is PM1) at the surface in London seems to be recorded near where the Underground runs on the surface.

From your first link:

Some sources of PM1 are naturally occurring, such as mineral fragments and aerosols from sea spray.1 But by far, the majority of airborne PM1 originates from human activity, such as:
  • emissions from factories and other industrial activity
  • vehicle exhaust
  • tire particles from vehicle use
  • smoke from wildfires or indoor wood-burning
Because human activity makes up the bulk of PM1 sources, densely populated urban areas, especially those with busy roadways or industrial facilities, are especially prone to PM1 pollution as well as other types of particle pollution.

Note that vehicle exhaust is only one of many sources of PM1 and that it's disingenuous to blame it all on vehicle exhausts. FWIW, the highest PM1 pollution in London is actually found in the Underground, not on the roads, and the highest PM2.5 (according to your link, an estimated 75% of which is PM1) at the surface in London seems to be recorded near where the Underground runs on the surface.

It does not surprise me at all that the London underground has high levels of PM1, but I note that the second link shows diesels as having high levels of PM1's. I'm certainly not blaming everything on vehicles, but they are relatively easy to 'clean up' in congested urban areas, which leads us straight back to LEZ's etc.

In central London all vehicles pay the congestion charge no matter what age the vehicle is. For diesel’s I thought it was around 2016 for most vehicles in the Ulez and CAZ areas.

It does not surprise me at all that the London underground has high levels of PM1, but I note that the second link shows diesels as having high levels of PM1's. I'm certainly not blaming everything on vehicles, but they are relatively easy to 'clean up' in congested urban areas, which leads us straight back to LEZ's etc.
... and now we're going around in circles. The evidence provided by monitoring stations shows that, throughout England, pollution levels are low and have been low for over a year and thus the latest clutch of CAZs and proposed expansion of the ULEZ are not required. They are hence a de facto tax on the poor and to the detriment of that portion of society who can least afford it.

Unfortunately, your second link contains a typo that turns what some might cite into nonsense; viz:

A source apportionment study in London estimated that the total PN concentrations in the city’s ambient air were derived as follows: 65% from vehicle exhaust emissions, 18% from urban background sources, 5% from resuspension, 2% from brake dust, and 10% from other unspecified sources. Occupational exposures are mostly high during high-speed manufacturing, combustion processes, and high-temperature tasks, such as smelting and welding.

The document defines "PN" as "Particle Number", so it is not clear whether they are talking about PM1, PM2.5, PM10 or a spread of particle sizes (iow. 65% of particle sizes noted [rather than 65% of mass or volume] were found in vehicle exhausts). The study is also at odds with at least three other studies (Bristol and Birmingham Universities and Emissions Analytics), all of which found the majority of PM2.5 (75% of which is PM1) comes from resuspension.

Also, if the figures your link gives are to make sense, the highest occupational exposures would come from transport related activities and during manufacturing and high-temperature tasks. Note also that even that link doesn't claim a causal link between ultrafine particles and dangerous disease as it states, "Furthermore, UFPs are thought to be more threatening than larger PM [...]"

And here's a small extract from a Birmingham University study, which clearly shows PM1 figures are not included in PM2.5 figures.
PM1 is widely believed to provide better information on the anthropogenic fraction of particulate 29 matter pollution than PM2.5. However, data on PM1 are still limited in Europe
And from Bristol and extract which says the burning of fuels is having adverse affects on health.
Health Impact, Air pollution generated from human sources such as the combustion of fuels for heat, electricity and transport is having an adverse effect on the health of Bristol’s communities.
p.s. what do you think the typo is?

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back