Congestion Zone charges

Caz

Need advice from all you knowledgeable folk on here.

Sold my van yesterday so am furtling around looking for my next one. I thought that all diesels post 2015 were exempted from congestion charges but have just checked a couple of possibles on 2016 plates and they are both coming up as chargeable everywhere except Portsmouth.

So how new do they have to be?

It all depends on the make and model mine is a 2015 sprinter and is ok in all the zones,
Not all manufacturers brought euro 6 until the deadline.
All you can do is what you are already doing and check them on line.

Strange, mines a euro 6, registered April 2016 and using the .gov checker shows as chargeable everywhere except Manchester, Portsmouth, Newcastle and London.

Strange, mines a euro 6, registered April 2016 and using the .gov checker shows as chargeable everywhere except Manchester, Portsmouth, Newcastle and London.
That is strange mark, I thought Euro 6 was the required standard. I would query this, surely that is an error. Up here as from Wednesday Glasgow is starting its LEZ, and even with a 2015 euro 5 you would be fine.

That is strange mark, I thought Euro 6 was the required standard. I would query this, surely that is an error. Up here as from Wednesday Glasgow is starting its LEZ, and even with a 2015 euro 5 you would be fine.
The Glasgow lez requires euro 6, my euro 5 car would be fined. Unlike most lezs it is based on fines, increasing with each entry as opposed to a charge.

Just checking the individual zones.
Most appear to be fine with Euro 6, Bradford charge for Euro 6 ( if I'm understanding it correctly) Bradfords web site.

Of course the next hurdle or complication is there are 4 types of Euro 6 for diesels.
E6b
E6c
E6d-Temp
E6d
Not that there appears to be any difference in emissions. :ROFLMAO:
I'll be doing more homework :)

The Glasgow lez requires euro 6, my euro 5 car would be fined. Unlike most lezs it is based on fines, increasing with each entry as opposed to a charge.
Not true of my old van bill I just checked my old van which was Euro 5 SN16 AXB and it’s fine.
I think in Glasgow any diesel after 2015 is ok.
But possibly this could be an error.

Scotland’s Low Emission Zones will only allow access to vehicles which meet minimum emission standards or meet the exemption criteria.
The below vehicle checker will allow you, by providing your vehicle registration number, to check if your vehicle can or cannot drive within a LEZ based on whether it is considered compliant or non-compliant with the emission standards.
Please note that the vehicle checker will not provide an exemption status. You will need to check whether you or your vehicle meet any of the exemption criteria before travel.
This service cannot check vehicles that are registered outside the UK.
SN16AXB
Make: CHAUSSON
Model: WELCOME 510
Colour: Grey
Vehicle type: VAN
Fuel type: Diesel

This vehicle can be driven in any Low Emission Zone in Scotland
The data accuracy of this service is always improving. If you think your result is incorrect, please contact lowemissionzonesenquiries@gov.scot.
Check another vehicle

Last edited:
Should be exempt, I would check what is shown on your V5C but it may not be shown on a 2016 registration. Your Certificate of Conformity will show the definitive Euro status of the vehicle and you could use this to get them to update their records.
Just checking the individual zones.
Most appear to be fine with Euro 6, Bradford charge for Euro 6 ( if I'm understanding it correctly) Bradfords web site.

Of course the next hurdle or complication is there are 4 types of Euro 6 for diesels.
E6b
E6c
E6d-Temp
E6d
Not that there appears to be any difference in emissions. :ROFLMAO:
I'll be doing more homework :)
The Euro 6 emissions are the same for all types, what changed are the tests used to verify the emissions. VW and probably all the others were cheating the E6b/c tests. 6d is designed to beat the cheats but the standard remains the same.

All I've checked so far are Euro 6.
I'm starting to think the online checker is a bit out of bonk.

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/23026
But the $50,000 Dollar question Mark is were would you stand if you check and find your ok, then get fined.
I would print up or screen save the result if I had any doubt.
But I am shocked at your vehicle not being included. I would contact them and put the facts before them Mark.
All the best.

But the $50,000 Dollar question Mark is were would you stand if you check and find your ok, then get fined.
I would print up or screen save the result if I had any doubt.
But I am shocked at your vehicle not being included. I would contact them and put the facts before them Mark.
All the best.
Very strange. I drive in London ULEZ virtually every day, been to Portsmouth loads of times too probably a few other zones too.

There is no doubt my van is Euro 6, the checker is well out of whack :LOL: It showed your last van as being ok, where the website says Euro 6.

VW and probably all the others were cheating the E6b/c tests. 6d is designed to beat the cheats but the standard remains the same.
For those that don't know, VW where not the first to cheat emissions tests, they where not the last to cheat emissions tests, and even whilst their cheat was in operation their 'real world' emissions where lower than some manufacturers vehicles which had no cheat device. Last year Stellantis paid a $300m fine for emissions cheating, pretty much every manufacturer has at some time been caught cheating.

Not true, Bill! Our 2016 M/home is Euro 5 and the vehicle check link says it is not permitted to be driven in Glasgow. Our 2016 VW Tiguan ('Mark 1.5' tweaked by VW factory at original build with the Adblue under spare wheel tank) is however allowed in. Meanwhile, you can still buy woodburning stoves for use in Glasgow, despite their indepently tested pollution levels being between 200 and 750 times higher (including carcinogens) than HGV emissions ... The 'knit your own sandals' brigade in action (though in their case, inaction would be better)

Steve

Not true, Bill! Our 2016 M/home is Euro 5 and the vehicle check link says it is not permitted to be driven in Glasgow. Our 2016 VW Tiguan ('Mark 1.5' tweaked by VW factory at original build with the Adblue under spare wheel tank) is however allowed in. Meanwhile, you can still buy woodburning stoves for use in Glasgow, despite their indepently tested pollution levels being between 200 and 750 times higher (including carcinogens) than HGV emissions ... The 'knit your own sandals' brigade in action (though in their case, inaction would be better)

Steve
What's not true?

What's not true?
The not true bit is that a 2015 euro 5 would be allowed in.
I checked my over 30 year old 2cv on the Glasgow checker and despite it being exempt it came up as not permitted. I forsee lots of problems next week.

The not true bit is that a 2015 euro 5 would be allowed in.
I checked my over 30 year old 2cv on the Glasgow checker and despite it being exempt it came up as not permitted. I forsee lots of problems next week.
Bill have you not seen the result of my query.
I posted the result on post #10.
when I enter my 2016 euro 5 van I am told it’s ok to be driven in Scotland.
Now this may be an error, but that’s what is returned.

Steve
You don't normally get woodburning stoves nose to tail in a busy street blowing smoke up babbies noses

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back