Banned from parking Motorhome on driveway

Mrs Bucket = petty snobbery.

The UK is full of them. 🤷‍♀️

Kinda sad and pathetic, imho. ;)
Thankfully none of my neighbours were like that as I had two large Tag axle vans parked on my drive for a total of 12 years.

There is currently a car parked in the layby near my house. It has been there for months and now sits on 3 flat tyres. I checked online and it is taxed and tested, it is in good condition and does not affect anyone. So why bother?

When you think about it, 'I don't like the look of it' is a weird concept.
I wonder if all other cultures have it? You know some pigmy somewhere saying to his mate in the grass hut next door " oi mate, are you intending to leave that lump of wood there permanently? I don't like the way it looks"

When you think about it, 'I don't like the look of it' is a weird concept.
I wonder if all other cultures have it? You know some pigmy somewhere saying to his mate in the grass hut next door " oi mate, are you intending to leave that lump of wood there permanently? I don't like the way it looks"
Dont upset pygmies!

During lockdown the owner was forced to leave this Iveco on my drive for weeks, the neighbour on my right asked me to move it,no idea why but it was during Covid and people were acting very weirdly!

So I swapped it with another one same colour different make and model!

They are going to have to put up with my latest project it’s an even bigger yellow Iveco and although I can get it into my fields I have no intention of doing so very often!

View attachment 131129

View attachment 131128
Do you ever have difficulty spotting it in a crowd ? :LOL:

If it's council (or more housing association these days) and not privately owned, then they have considerable powers to make you keep your outside area to a certain standard.

This has always been the case since the council house building program which was instigated just after WW2, just it's not always enforced.

In this case I suspect he has a neighbour, or neighbours, similar to Sam's experience above, who have pressured the council into taking action.

Like I said - probably curtain twitchers, Mrs Buckets and various other small-minded snobs 🙃😜
People should have to keep their gardens and areas in good order as if not it all starts to look like a £$%^ hole all around take some pride in your environment I say a neighborhood soon goes down hill it there are no sensible rules so folks can't think for themselves and need to be kept in line I think who wants to live next door to a lot of rednecks.??

People should have to keep their gardens and areas in good order as if not it all starts to look like a £$%^ hole all around take some pride in your environment I say a neighborhood soon goes down hill it there are no sensible rules so folks can't think for themselves and need to be kept in line I think who wants to live next door to a lot of rednecks.??
If the rednecks didn't propose a health hazard, and didn't disturb WRT noise and smell I think I'd be OK TBF. What their place 'looked like' wouldn't be very high up my priorities.
Our favourite place abroad is Greece, some folks find it too basic, rough, backward etc etc. I guess one man's rustic charm is another man's £$%^ hole. Live and let live I say, far bigger things in life to get your knickers in a twist about rather than what something looks like.

If the rednecks didn't propose a health hazard, and didn't disturb WRT noise and smell I think I'd be OK TBF. What their place 'looked like' wouldn't be very high up my priorities.
Our favourite place abroad is Greece, some folks find it too basic, rough, backward etc etc. I guess one man's rustic charm is another man's £$%^ hole. Live and let live I say, far bigger things in life to get your knickers in a twist about rather than what something looks like.

Seriously though, I've been to Russia a couple of times. Out in the smaller towns and villages they don't have the planning laws that are imposed on us in the UK - you know, the ones that only allow you to build something that looks like all of the other square boxes around you?

I was fascinated as we drove around looking at a massive diversity of building techniques and styles which had grown over the years and found it absolutely charming. A few years back I looked into building a log cabin as a main residence here - it would have been a beautiful building built from a kit imported from Sweden and half the price or less of building conventional brick building. But NO! I was told that it was a none starter by a narrow minded and stubborn council that it wouldn't fit in with the rest of the houses on that road.

It's the same in the village I live in now. Very hard to get planning permission to build anything, unless you happen to be on the Council where it would seem that you can build whatever you like and then be granted PP retrospectively if anybody dares to complain about it! :mad:

Seriously though, I've been to Russia a couple of times. Out in the smaller towns and villages they don't have the planning laws that are imposed on us in the UK - you know, the ones that only allow you to build something that looks like all of the other square boxes around you?

I was fascinated as we drove around looking at a massive diversity of building techniques and styles which had grown over the years and found it absolutely charming. A few years back I looked into building a log cabin as a main residence here - it would have been a beautiful building built from a kit imported from Sweden and half the price or less of building conventional brick building. But NO! I was told that it was a none starter by a narrow minded and stubborn council that it wouldn't fit in with the rest of the houses on that road.

It's the same in the village I live in now. Very hard to get planning permission to build anything, unless you happen to be on the Council where it would seem that you can build whatever you like and then be granted PP retrospectively if anybody dares to complain about it! :mad:
We've had an ongoing planning and appeal case that's lasted for a couple of years. Upshot is we are able to build another bungalow on our land but we must do this by first building a large garage or outbuilding (under permitted development ie no planning permission required) and then convert it. This process has been given the green light by the secretary of state but we've refused permission (at appeal) to simply just build a bungalow. The main reasoning behind this is a clause in government policy which prevents development in the countryside due to visual impact, ie, 'what it looks like' (yep that chestnut again). The ridiculous contradiction is that IF the council granted permission for the bungalow then they'd have the ability to dictate it's appearance but they have no control over appearance whatsoever if I build a garage under permitted development and convert it.
Bloody bonkers.

We've had an ongoing planning and appeal case that's lasted for a couple of years. Upshot is we are able to build another bungalow on our land but we must do this by first building a large garage or outbuilding (under permitted development ie no planning permission required) and then convert it. This process has been given the green light by the secretary of state but we've refused permission (at appeal) to simply just build a bungalow. The main reasoning behind this is a clause in government policy which prevents development in the countryside due to visual impact, ie, 'what it looks like' (yep that chestnut again). The ridiculous contradiction is that IF the council granted permission for the bungalow then they'd have the ability to dictate it's appearance but they have no control over appearance whatsoever if I build a garage under permitted development and convert it.
Bloody bonkers.

Officialdom and bureaucracy Merl, don't you just love it?

And we pay these people!

ENGINE not Wizard Colin....Engine not wizard.:rolleyes:

I nearly said I bet you get similar every time you are introduced to somebody Merl and have to give one of those "gosh how funny" polite but inwardly sarcastic acknowledgments because you've heard it a million times before.

But it's still a cool name.

I nearly said I bet you get similar every time you are introduced to somebody Merl and have to give one of those "gosh how funny" polite but inwardly sarcastic acknowledgments because you've heard it a million times before.

But it's still a cool name.
I've been through phases in my life where I've actually hated it, and the comments used to irritate me but now I'm older I'm really not bothered at all and comments and jokes don't bother me either, no good comes from twisted knickers and I have a good laugh along. Yeh, I like the name now and VERY proud to be named after that awesome engine. (not the magician just in case there's any doubt) 😉

I've been through phases in my life where I've actually hated it, and the comments used to irritate me but now I'm older I'm really not bothered at all and comments and jokes don't bother me either, no good comes from twisted knickers and I have a good laugh along. Yeh, I like the name now and VERY proud to be named after that awesome engine. (not the magician just in case there's any doubt) 😉
I hope your car is a Vauxhall though? ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back