Banned from parking Motorhome on driveway

i naturally have a rebellious nature why not is my first reaction when told i can’t do something! but in my village there are two extensions which hopefully would not receive planning permission now, both are flat roofed brick built butting up against thatched roof cottages how anyone at any time thought they were fitting is crazy

i naturally have a rebellious nature why not is my first reaction when told i can’t do something! but in my village there are two extensions which hopefully would not receive planning permission now, both are flat roofed brick built butting up against thatched roof cottages how anyone at any time thought they were fitting is crazy

That's a different matter though Ken.

That's vandalism.

I've been through phases in my life where I've actually hated it, and the comments used to irritate me but now I'm older I'm really not bothered at all and comments and jokes don't bother me either, no good comes from twisted knickers and I have a good laugh along. Yeh, I like the name now and VERY proud to be named after that awesome engine. (not the magician just in case there's any doubt) 😉
Shel Silverstein flipped a coin and Merlin lost out.

Generally planning policy is that any extension to such buildings must be clearly different, but a flat roof! I guess this was done many years ago?

Dunno, never looked, I think it's just some General Motor 😩
Some years back IWM asked us to restore a P&W 1830 off a B24, they had asked Ford about doing it (who built some of them during WWII) and it had been sent off to them as a freebee apprentice project, after a couple of years it came back untouched, I took one look and told them why, it had GM marks on all the castings.

Dunno, never looked, I think it's just some General Motor 😩
general lee.jpg

Yep, he MAY be a dreamer but he may not and no one has a crystal ball. If what he's doing doesn't hurt anyone or cause a health hazard or disturb then surely the guy should be left alone.
If what the guy is doing disagrees with you on the grounds of 'what it looks like' you're basically being like the people who accept cars being parked up overnight but object to campervans doing the same thing, ie, "spoil their view" etc.
I get what you're saying but don't you think you're taking a bit of a NIMBY view of things?
OK, lets not be silly! How do you extrapolate me not liking an obviously scrap van and car on a trailer, actually dumped on someone's drive, with not liking campervans? My van is on my drive, our neighbours all have vans, one has a caravan and one even has a Traction Engine! No one minds. But I guess you took issue with my post because you wanted to type something. Take a look at the picture again. Would you like to live next door to them? (Of course you would, for the sake of this thread!)

I have no objections to anyone using their property for any purpose, fixing up vehicles, restoring vehicles or even just storing vehicles. But come on, that car and trailer are never going to be moved again. The old van? Maybe, but if we are 14 years down the line and it is still like that, I wouldn't hold out much hope of it ever being road legal.

OK, lets not be silly! How do you extrapolate me not liking an obviously scrap van and car on a trailer, actually dumped on someone's drive, with not liking campervans? My van is on my drive, our neighbours all have vans, one has a caravan and one even has a Traction Engine! No one minds. But I guess you took issue with my post because you wanted to type something. Take a look at the picture again. Would you like to live next door to them? (Of course you would, for the sake of this thread!)

I have no objections to anyone using their property for any purpose, fixing up vehicles, restoring vehicles or even just storing vehicles. But come on, that car and trailer are never going to be moved again. The old van? Maybe, but if we are 14 years down the line and it is still like that, I wouldn't hold out much hope of it ever being road legal.
Soooo many assumptions not only about the guy in question but also about my honesty..... Really?
Well, the trailer's already been removed so I'm afraid at least one of your assumptions is incorrect.
Take a look at the picture again. Would you like to live next door to them? (Of course you would, for the sake of this thread!)
Another incorrect assumption, not everyone thinks in the same way as you and I don't think it's reasonable or fair to judge how I think or accuse me of dishonesty.
How do you extrapolate me not liking an obviously scrap van and car on a trailer, actually dumped on someone's drive, with not liking campervans?
Maybe I wasn't clear, I never extrapolated a conclusion that you " didn't like campervans". If I you read my post again you'll see I was asking you to consider the similarity between yourself complaining about an unsightly motorhome to the Hyacinth Bucket's of the world who complain about MHs parked up spoiling their view.
Now, I don't know how you camp, you may well stick to camp sites 100% but you're a member of Wild Camping so maybe you choose to park in alternative locations? Maybe you just come here for the banter 😁 but if you do wild camp do you think you've EVER attracted negative attention?
Now, if you were legally parked up say on a prom and a angry resident asked you to move because they don't like motorhomes spoiling their view what would you say to them?

Had some chuckles at this thread, personally I am in the 'Live and let live' camp but everyone has their own opinion. While someone may not like the look of something though I can't see how it gives them a right to dictate to others. Whatever you views though please done stop stating them as we are all different and the purpose of a forum is to discuss :)

As for the name Merlin, I have a mate named Merlin and he isn't an engine. Isn't a wizard either but is a druid lol confused yet :)

I have a mate named Merlin and he isn't an engine. Isn't a wizard either but is a druid lol confused yet :)
Say hello to him for me Neil and tell him I understand his pain.
Had some chuckles at this thread
Yep, and at least once you though "that twat's getting into another argument" :rolleyes: Tell me the secret oh wise one, how do I learn to simply smile and walk away??

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:320)

Scotia, GeoffL, mariesnowgoose, 2cv, vindiboy, neilmac, Charlynch, Makzine, mark61, tony, Sharon the Cat, Nabsim, exwindsurfer, trixie88, TJBi, maingate, peejay, n brown, Topmast, ewen, CHAIRMAN, AllanD, chrishunter, guerdeval, cornish hymer, TeamRienza, Moonraker 2, Fazerloz, mikejay, Tezza33, colinm, mistericeman, MartinFife, Alberto, andyjanet, JVG, clarkpeacock, smg, GMJ, flying kipper, Tim120, TissyD, wildebus, Biggarmac, Robmac, barryd, Jo001, number14, winks, 1 Cup, shortcircuit, oppy, Tonybvi, bartman, paulhelenwilko, NSY, ChrisvH, Steve and Julie, Victor, runnach, witzend, Fisherman, V1nny, britcoms, davep10000, katv, jann, Pauljenny, Matchlock, kingfisher1, jacquigem, harrow, Bubble, Mossystone, Debroos, yorkslass, korky, bdastu, Wildrock, Val54, 1807truckman, saxonborg, Heppy, Team ST, DTF, merl, Drover, AdriaTwin, kevlakes, The laird, Dezi, izwozral, regnarts, ton27, Canalsman, aross, MrRob, Obanboy666, stonedaddy, kensowerby, alcam, jeanette, Motoroamer, jagmanx, RichardHelen262, Wooie1958, SimonM, blind pew, ajb70, hamsterberg27, pl1980, trevskoda, MikeRS, Hornet49, caledonia, Wightman, SCRUMPY BOY, Neckender, tobym, Winger, zzr1400tim, gabby82, Ian1968, belbri, alan1958, robarnold, GinaRon, terrywolf, Nigel L, horace, st3v3, Monkeybrand, Glass man, noah and nelly, Boris7, Okta, RSD7a, Kennymac, dvla3336, Budgie, Owen M, Twithooks, Glandwr, wilsal, BigAldo, Costers, Irishroaming, The Jacks, Moped, amcjam, iampatman, vwalan, campingfun, MrKenny, Mikexx, Admin, Herman, DAVEY, scampa, Gerry Attrick, AndyWill64, alwaysared, liz, ChrissyW, Livotlout, undertaker, walpeter, rambrose, kernewek, barge1914, bmc, Martin P, Handel10, Gadabout2, rottiontour, ricc, Faith shields, Rod, Borders2, molly 2, glekay, marchie, lthoel2, GMLS, RamblingRobochick, landie50, Bouydog, denmar, mike w, BOTCANU, Caz, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, Wully, wints, Tartarus, UFO, rugbyken, Toyotaman, elfish, mick n jules, The Blade, Silew, mry716, Ken Parsons, terrytur, yeoblade, marchhare, popeye1958, Tillymint, QFour, Peisinoe, littlemaisy, barrypat, Owlhouse, campervanannie, bazzybabes, Rumour, Moocher, Dads Train, jennyp19, boggie, Rob H, euro28, Lee, jeffmossy, Sheila Bryant, Pete Rachel, Wandering scots, reiverlad, Minisorella, motorwaycafe, Divine Right, TreeTopRainbow, CyderT1N, Welsh Wizard, Goofer, normanandsue, ian-trish, Rolyan57, Rutaria, Harrytherid, gasgas, TonyEmm, Eriba, Texastom, RoaminRog, roadroamer, Alf, 2Coops, alanfleming, Meloc8, veletron, iandsm, Bigshug, Pete morgan, Hagg3066, smackaylvit, cooperman, Wardy73, Ex Greeny, 11ALB, WingNut, ruddock, Daz65, RegnVal, bnb080, MrU, ChrisInNotts, Major Tom, Thistle, Ted, RogerO, Redcallaway1, Cliffb, NeilyG, bluelagoon, 955itriple, gripseven, defect, Linda, smycker, Mikecoo, Den, Weefifer, ultrawoman72, rjmurchie, matbic, HurricaneSmith, Les and penny, Di1234, Steve, maxsdad, Dowel, slade, b0p, Skyrakes, trooper2000, adriahome, Davethorpeo, johnnygm7lsi, bjh, Old Man Down, Maguika1, royh28, onion, davef, tripper, Spike, Reikiman, wrp, craig9760, pj650, Rodders1234, Roy Laura, Ali-lou, Juanita, ironman, mygrassisblue, Gazzer01, GeorgeK,
Back