All electric motorhomes.... Possible or not?

Electric cars and trades vans for local travel may be workable but I can't see how electric vehicles can be practical for long distances. Who wants to set off to the south coast and have to spend 2 hours waiting to charge to 60% at the halfway point.

Has the government noticed the number of of cars in petrol stations at the moment that gets 600 miles from a tank full and taking only a five minute stop to fill up? ......How is that going to work when all those electric vehicles are stopping for two hours to charge up, even to 60% ?
How many charging points will be needed and how big will the equivalent to petrol stations need to be to fit all the cars in for two hour stops, ?
The national grid is already put under pressure when the nation puts the kettle on during a football match at half time, or the adverts during Coronation street, how will the national grid cope with millions of electric cars?

I got to page 7 and didn't notice any comments regarding LPG, would a LPG conversion be excluded from any legislation, you can(I think) still go into London with one.

Electric cars and trades vans for local travel may be workable but I can't see how electric vehicles can be practical for long distances. Who wants to set off to the south coast and have to spend 2 hours waiting to charge to 60% at the halfway point.

Has the government noticed the number of of cars in petrol stations at the moment that gets 600 miles from a tank full and taking only a five minute stop to fill up? ......How is that going to work when all those electric vehicles are stopping for two hours to charge up, even to 60% ?
How many charging points will be needed and how big will the equivalent to petrol stations need to be to fit all the cars in for two hour stops, ?
The national grid is already put under pressure when the nation puts the kettle on during a football match at half time, or the adverts during Coronation street, how will the national grid cope with millions of electric cars?
The USA have trucks which will run a 1000 miles on one charge, 45 min charge and they will go 600 miles, thats more than the length of England & Scotland.

I got to page 7 and didn't notice any comments regarding LPG, would a LPG conversion be excluded from any legislation, you can(I think) still go into London with one.
Gas will not be used as it is dirty, in 5 years time it will be banned for central heating homes and those who converted will have to rip it out.

As I write this, wind power is producing just 2.97% of the UK's energy see http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
Unless very cheap electric power storage methods are invented, wind power will never be the answer unless everyone is prepared for no power supply when a high pressure system sits motionless over the UK.
IC engines are not being phased out for pollution reasons. CO2 level is about 400 parts per million, with human impact just 4% of that, thats just 1 part in 62,500 parts of the atmosphere, so no it will not alter the earth's temperature. We are actually in a CO2 drought as far as plants are concerned - and in geological time frames in an all time low level in an inter-glacial period, that in the next coming ice age could be the cause of mass extinction. Modern diesels with particulate filters have found to actually clean the city air of particulates in a German study - that is the air coming out the exhaust pipe is cleaner than the air going in to the engine, as most particulates are not caused by the fuel burnt but by tyre and brake wear.
The most likely reason to scrap IC engines seems to me to stop the general public being freely able to travel in their own vehicle. Part of the "Build Back Better" great reset. A new "Green" future where we stay where we live or cycle or walk, or if rich enough call an autonomous taxi. Unless one of the elite of course......

The ex systems put out fine particles which are more dangerous than the old heavy dirty engines.
If you bring all the correct facts together we would be best going back to our caves, i wont be here by the next ice age so someone else can sort it all out. 🤔

As I write this, wind power is producing just 2.97% of the UK's energy see http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
Unless very cheap electric power storage methods are invented, wind power will never be the answer unless everyone is prepared for no power supply when a high pressure system sits motionless over the UK.
The answer to this is simple, and some BEV owners are already onto it, you leave the BEV plugged in to a smart charger, during cheap periods when plenty of power available they charge up, when the grids on max it puts it back in.

Modern diesels with particulate filters have found to actually clean the city air of particulates in a German study - that is the air coming out the exhaust pipe is cleaner than the air going in to the engine, as most particulates are not caused by the fuel burnt but by tyre and brake wear.
Please feel free to post a link, I've searched and can't find it.

The most likely reason to scrap IC engines seems to me to stop the general public being freely able to travel in their own vehicle. Part of the "Build Back Better" great reset. A new "Green" future where we stay where we live or cycle or walk, or if rich enough call an autonomous taxi. Unless one of the elite of course......
I'm not sure changing to BEV's enables this, but it true enough that millions of people all driving across the country is a mess.

Last edited:
Hope you are all using this time to get used to new charging regimes.
Simply go and park your car in a local petrol station and leave it there all night.

Simply go and park your car in a local petrol station and leave it there all night.
What out in the rain and maybe all the windows smashed by morning, no way, also what happens when it may be required for an emergency run, not workable, or if you live in the sticks.

what local petrol station....our nearest is 5 miles away

if leccy car is connected to a smart charger...charges on cheap electricity , then dumps it back into the grid when demand is high ,,,what are the chances battery will be less than optimal when i want to use it?

what local petrol station....our nearest is 5 miles away

if leccy car is connected to a smart charger...charges on cheap electricity , then dumps it back into the grid when demand is high ,,,what are the chances battery will be less than optimal when i want to use it?
Similar here, I don't normally drive near any fuel stations, a charger at home means cheap top ups without having to drive miles. All the houses in our village have offroad parking, so all can benefit.
The smart chargers are in early days, but AFAIK you set the minimum charge needed at any time, for many(not all) who work 9 to 5 within say 20miles, that means come home and park up for night, set a minimum for rest of evening, then full charge for morning.

Just now wind turbines producing just 0.88% of grid demand and solar just 0.14% Probably not enough to keep lights on let alone charge millions of BEVs. If they build enough reliable power stations, the grid will have to be completely upgraded to take the extra current - power lines substations - the lot. Very unlikely to happen - a staggering cost to the country.
When people say they can be charged for free at public chargers, it just means they are freeloading off the general public who have to pay for it. Similarly when comparing costs allowance needs to be made for the fact that most of petrol/diesel fuel cost is government tax. Domestic electricity is not taxed in the same way at the moment, but you can be sure that as soon as enough people have switched to electric vehicles they will devise some way of clawing the same or more tax from them. When that is factored in, I expect IC vehicles would be cheaper to run.

Electric is already here, shocking though that may be (sorry couldn't resist it). So we all need to get used to it and see how to make the best of it. The electricity required can be from batteries or fuel cells. Hydrogen has been mentioned and could be a way forward. Bit of a waste of time for ICE's though as an electric motor is 3 to 4 times more efficient that an ICE. I do about 3.6 to 4 miles per kWh in a Kia eNiro, compared to 0.9 to 1 mile per kWh (42mpg) in my last ICE car a Skoda Yeti. Just use fuel cells with electric motors. This may save some weight, compared to using batteries, although the hydrogen is held at very high pressure in heavy steel tanks. This may be a solution for some Camper vans, especially if you want the benefit from pulling into a fuel station and refilling your energy store relatively quickly. Personally the car I now drive is great for most of my needs, quiet, very powerful, really relaxing driving and charging is easy. I just plug into a domestic 3 pin plug and it takes 2.2kW (10Amp). Yes it takes a long time, but how much time do most people actually drive for and how much time is it doing nothing? We use it at a caravan site and either plug in the caravan or the car, there is more than sufficient power in the caravan battery to cover when the car is on charge. With a MoHo or camper van it would probably need dedicated charging facilities, but these will have to come if they do phase out ICE's. Off grid will be the big problem, not sure how you get round that without hydrogen and a genny! Nearly forgot to mention range! You worry about it at first, but after the first week it no longer mattered!
The converting ICE to hydrogen idea is that it's greener than scrapping ICE powered vehicles, read just recently that the EV are only carbon neutral after 50,000 miles also depending on the source of the electric to power them.

In the rush for the brave new world of EV's everyone seems to have forgotten who owns the rare elements required to make the battery of each and every one .
And once we have gone so far down the cul-de-sac of EV's then they will double or triple the price or just cut off supply.... the UK owns none of them and will be held hostage or have to comply with their demands .
It seems strange that we are being forced to have EV's because we are polluting the planet when the launch of one Space X satellite is more polluting than most of those on this forums entire lifetime of emission's combined , let alone planned missions to the moon or mars .... air travel is also immune from being targeted or forced to change by 2030 .
The rush for EV's is more about the control of the public and how they travel....the most pollution any vehicle produces in it's lifetime is during manufacture yet it seems the plan is to scrap perfectly good vehicles and force people to buy new ones.....the emission's produced by the vehicles making the infrastructure needed for a windfarm and the many tons of raw materials transported to the site are conveniently not included in the calculations of justifying a wind turbine , nor the fact that life expired turbine blades are not recyclable for example .
In a nut shell!! Spot on.

Why do petrol stations need electric vehicle charging points? Build large out of town charging areas for them

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back