All electric motorhomes.... Possible or not?

I think climate change and the importance of acting quicker rather than later will accelerate over the forthcoming years and Im afraid that there will be no softly softly approach. It must be this way anyway and Diesel engines must go also because of the cancerous producing nano particles. It’s a luxury to have our campervans but not to the detriment of people’s health and the planet. Just enjoy now but I do see it being squeezed slowly into electric and also hydrogen and it will be only for the very rich to travel abroad. The good times have gone and we done it to ourselves.

At that age its worth nothing as it will be rotten underneath and in scrapy very soon.
Add Insurance £7,995
Having said that I had an XJ6 for a few years..Insurance Ok
BUT 16mpg. Drove it to the Rhineland for a short break..Brilliant.
Also took my ageing father to Lords (cricket).Turned up to drive in the car-park.
Attendant Looked at us and the car "Do come in" No charge ..probably thought we were MCC members !

Add Insurance £7,995
Also took my ageing father to Lords (cricket).Turned up to drive in the car-park.
Attendant Looked at us and the car "Do come in" No charge ..probably thought we were MCC members !
Very few old cars here, people talk and point if its more than 4/5 years old, i had a person on our street complain to me for having a old car as they said i was bringing the price of the property down, i replyed with two words the second was off.

Yes all very wasteful..
The XJ6 went after mt father died but i repllaced it with a nearly new X-type.
I know they had their critics but I liked it and kept it for 10 years.
Only sold it as after retiring no point in having a car & a motorhome especially as only one of us drives .
I did like the in-built AWD 60/40. It was fast enough and cruised well !
It looked about 2 years old when sold............Somebody got a bargain !

Add Insurance £7,995

I had an XJ6 too years ago, although mine was a Daimler Sovereign rather than a Jag.

Fantastic car and just sitting in it felt very special. I was only about 20 or so at the time and drove like a bit of a nutter, it's a wonder I survived really!

The XJ6 Probably the best car I owned..Just too wide and thirsty !

Nice electric metal sunroof
Extra headroom for rear passengers
I did drive over Hardknott and Wrynose passes in it.
Thta was when I was "Old & Foolish"

Back in the day, must have been 1971/72, my dad part exchanged his Triumph Stag for a Daimler Sovereign. The day after he drove away in the Sovereign the dealer was transferring the Stag to their Bristol showroom when the engine blew up on the motorway. Stags were well known for this as, I am sure, many of you know.
Anyway, lucky escape for dad!

Back in the day, must have been 1971/72, my dad part exchanged his Triumph Stag for a Daimler Sovereign. The day after he drove away in the Sovereign the dealer was transferring the Stag to their Bristol showroom when the engine blew up on the motorway. Stags were well known for this as, I am sure, many of you know.
Anyway, lucky escape for dad!

Yes, I think they were often replaced with 3.5 Rover engines?

We only do around 3000 miles a year in our car so fuel consumption is not an issue.
Also with us being old gits with a million years no claims bonus insurance is pretty good too. Our current car a Saab convertible 98 model cost us £1200 8 years ago.
2.3 twin cam its been the cheapest car imaginable. Just passed another mot too.
The missus was gutted. She did like the look of that Jag!

Check out the new gridserve charging station, 36 chargers, some up to 350Kw, their own solar 'power station' which should cover most of their needs, 6Mw of storage, so if needed they buy in power off peak, when the national grid loads up they sell back, also when they have excess power produced and full storage they sell on to grid. They have plans for 100 of these across the country, if these are of a similar size that's 600Mw of storage, so just one small company are turning BEV's from a drain on the grid to an addition to the grid.
They are also leasing (and selling?) BEV's and for every one they sell they plant enough trees to cover the co2 of manufacturing.
All this from someone who brought a BEV back in the early days and found the lack of charging so frustraighting he thought "I'm going to do something about this".

Farmer up the m2 not far from me has two fields of solar, his sheep graze away between/under the panels, lots did this when the full grants were on the go.

Out of Curiosity, I decided to check out the prices...
Taking the Corsa as an example, looked on ArnoldClark.com (no point in looking at the official prices as we all know people don't pay those, so let's use real prices).
Not really checking the specs, just comparing the engines now.....
The most expensive Petrol Corsas for sale are £16,500. (most are around the £12,500 mark for nearly new ones with little mileage)
The cheapest Electric Corsas for sale are £25,000. So a difference of £8,500.

Typical Annual service for a Corsa is say £310. Road Tax is £140. so fixed running costs are £450/annum.
for an eCorsa, still need servicing - let's say it is £150 a year. and Road Tax is £Zero - so £150/Annum. eCorsa wins by £300 a year
Variable costs will be the same for everything but fuel.
Let's say charging the eCorsa is always free (doubtful, but who knows. Let's be optimistic).
If you do say 8,000 miles a year at an average of 40MPG and fuel is £5.50 a Gallon (reasonable enough. Not going to put fuel up as no increasing electric charging either), Petrol will cost £1,100 a year. So with extra fixed costs, the Petrol Corsa is £1,400 a year.

So after around 7.5 years, the Electric Corsa (using all numbers above) will have become the cheaper option. In my case, I probably do half that mileage. If I were to go Electric, it would take over 12 years to recoop the extra if I got the eCorsa instead of the most expensive Petrol one (which I wouldn't anyway and far more likely to get one at £12,500 or less, which makes it more like 17 years to recoop the extra purchase cost by cheaper running).

So forget the financial benefits - all about the environment isn't it!

Or is it?
Environmental Cost of building the batteries. Huge.
Environmental Cost of creating the electrical infrastructure for all the charging points. Massive
Enviromental Cost of generating the electricity for all these 'zero emissions' vehicles. Better then the ICEs, but still very significant

So how much in reality will going to Electric Cars "save the world" compared to being more thoughtful about cutting down on using current cars and other consumers?

Offer me an eCar in exchange for my current Petrol car? Yes please. Ask me to pay double the purchase cost? Think I'll pass, thanks.
Hello, just a few things to think about, you’ve forgotten to put in the depreciation of the ice car over the electric car, they don’t need servicing every year and the servicing costs are much less. Ownership is about the total price and not the front end workings. Last is there doesn’t seem to be anyone talking who owns electric cars, most people who have electric cars have them on lease as it’s a fixed price with no worries and yes this is how we have one. I owned my own vehicles for over 40 years and the deal I have on a BMW is cheaper than the depreciation on every other car I’ve owned in the last 10 years. Purchasing for cars is a thing of the past but there are a few exceptions but not many. If you want to ask me about running an electric car feel free to message me, it’s by far the best toy I’ve had in years. Happy Christmas to everyone 👍

Really the numbers can be manipulated to prove just about anything.
For me the cheapest way to buy/ run a car is what we did with our Saab.
Great car. 2.3 twin cam fuel injection convertible. Leather seats, wood dash, air con alloys auto gearbox. Great car
£1200 to buy 8 years ago
Cost to own £150 per year
Serviced twice in 8 years , local garage £200 each time £50 per year
Road tax £250 per year
So £450 per year plus fuel
And its a damn site better than an electric noddy car

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back