Alko Chassis greasing

I keep hearing different opinions. Some say both wheels off the floor at the same time, some say thats dangerous, some say just the weight off one at a time and Armitages the other day reckoned it didnt matter. Confused? Yep.
It just takes the weight off the top of the bearing so when you pump the grease in it goes all the way round but especially at the top where it will wear.

It just takes the weight off the top of the bearing so when you pump the grease in it goes all the way round but especially at the top where it will wear.

I appreciate that but the question remains. One wheel at a time jacked up or both at the same time?

I just noticed that the PDF I posted was done by Zappys Blog he used to be on facts and sold tablets to clean the fresh tanks with.

I suggest you consider carefully the above web page.

As manufactured the single nipple fails to direct grease to where it needs to go. In addition the bushes are badly designed.

I had my axle overhauled which in addition to a much better design of bush adds a further nipple to ensure that grease does go where it should to ensure axle longevity. The advice from Fraser Brown is to grease the axle much more frequently than AlKo recommend - ideally at 1,000 mile intervals which I have been doing since the overhaul.

In my case, as referenced by @TJBi above, a mistake during the reassembly process was made. This was determined several years later and having established this fault, Fraser Brown are going to strip the axle down again and rectify any resultant excessive wear. This is happening later this month free of charge. (I am combining a visit to their workshop with a Scottish tour.)
As a follow-up to the above I have now visited Fraser Brown.

After investigation there was no fault found in the remanufacturing of the axle.

The reason that I had concerns was that I could no longer grease one of the four nipples. What has been discovered is that too much grease had been introduced over time so that the bearing assembly was full!

I had followed, religiously, the greasing schedule but it seems two factors caused the problem.

Firstly I have covered 39,000 miles since the refurbishment and hence 39 regreasings.

Secondly it is probable that most customers are not as conscientious as me in carrying out the advised greasing schedule.

In the light of this I am going to extend the interval to 2,000 miles and if the situation occurs again in the future I will know why...

I was told 6 shots with the pump was enough with the wheels off the floor.
Any more grease might blow the bearings in the axle.
Use the jacking points and never the axle.

I was told 6 shots with the pump was enough with the wheels off the floor.
Any more grease might blow the bearings in the axle.
Use the jacking points and never the axle.
Of course, if you jack on the axle there is no point in jacking except for access.

Absolutely but not what I meant Jim.

If you jacked up on the axle it would not take the weight of it as it would if you jacked up the body so the axle would be unloaded as per the instructions posted, if I had one I would be inclined to lift both sides.

The ALKO chassis has dedicated jacking brackets that are bolted to the chassis.

The square shaped brackets sat very nicely inside the cups on my Clarke 3000kg professional trolley jacks, one on either side at the same time and no chance of slipping off.

6000kg ( 2 X 3000kg ) lifting capacity between them easily handled the 2500kg rear end.

Back