Alko Chassis greasing

1000 mile intervals! You could do that in a couple of days on a long European trip! That seems excessive. There must be literally thousands of motorhomes trundling around blissfully unware of their axles needing greasing. I bet most of them have never been done.
Probably.

However having spent quite a bit to have the axle overhauled fully I decided to act on the advice of the experts.

By the way, Fraser Brown is the owner of the business and evidently knows about what he is talking...

Regarding the Alko axle greasing, wheel off the ground and pump until pressure builds, between 5 and 10 strokes if done annually. Any more and I am told you are simply filling the axel tube.
Same as I was told by fitters repairing a couple of axles on a horse box years ago

On our 2011 model there are two mpg readings, one is the instantaneous which is useless, other is the trip mpg which after a few hundred miles only changes by small amounts, last time I looked it was showing 33mpg after a couple of thousand miles, and the range meter showed about 400 miles at half a tank, this will be about right as we get around 800 miles per tank out of our 125litre tank

Just going through all the documentation on our new to us 2015 Swift Esprit 496 and in the Alko booklet it does of course mention getting the chassis greased every 20000kg or annually which ever comes first. Might just be a generic manual. My guess is I bet its never been done. Although reading various threads online some it seems on more modern vans are sealed for life. Its off getting its Scooter rack fitted first thing Monday morning at Armitage trailers so I have emailed them to see if they can do it. I know I got my old one done regularly but not the past few years. Anyone know which axles are sealed and which require greasing?
Get out and get under, grease nipples visible, oh! no, valves it needs greasing, none you can't.

On our 2011 model there are two mpg readings, one is the instantaneous which is useless, other is the trip mpg which after a few hundred miles only changes by small amounts, last time I looked it was showing 33mpg after a couple of thousand miles, and the range meter showed about 400 miles at half a tank, this will be about right as we get around 800 miles per tank out of our 125litre tank
I reset mine once every few days Colin.

I think this is the same. I maybe reset the average long term one accidently which is why its not settled yet. Will see what its saying after Sundays long drive but I recorded the mileage when I topped up the tanks so will just get the calculator out.

. Will see what its saying after Sundays long drive but I recorded the mileage when I topped up the tanks so will just get the calculator out.
To late to faff around with economy measures now Barry you just kicked all that out the window fitting that rack

To late to faff around with economy measures now Barry you just kicked all that out the window fitting that rack

I think Kev is right. Its that Luton cab that will knock it down I reckon and possibly the weight. Cant see how a scooter behind the van will make much difference. I'm not bothered, just interested. The old van was lucky to get around 22mpg. I was expecting about the same.

I think you'll be surprised unless you cane it everywhere, high 20's why rush you're on holiday chill man.

I think you'll be surprised unless you cane it everywhere, high 20's why rush you're on holiday chill man.

There is nothing chilling or enjoyable about driving 330 miles south on UK motorways Kev. :D

It will be nice to be in a lovely modern cab though with a good radio, air con etc but I just want to get there. It might take me a while to get over the anxiety I used to feel on a long trip with old Hank (Bless him). Thats probably why. Once I get a few long drives over I am hoping that will be a thing of the past.

The only thing that concerns me slightly is with my Arthritis I need to stretch my legs every now and again, mainly the right one and in old Hank I could stick it in the footwell for 20 seconds. Cant do that in this one so ill just have to stretch it out to the left for a bit. Ill be amazed if it does high 20s. I tend to start off around 60 but will usually end up creeping up a fair bit.

I go down the A1 more places to pull off, have a coffee then continue, my left leg feels the cold easily and them there cabs are very draughty.

At the bottom of the B pillars under the floor there is a vent it's there so the cab door are easy to close but not needed in a MoHo, I've not got around to blanking them off yet.

Don't have cruise control on that cheapo van?

I go down the A1 more places to pull off, have a coffee then continue, my left leg feels the cold easily and them there cabs are very draughty.

At the bottom of the B pillars under the floor there is a vent it's there so the cab door are easy to close but not needed in a MoHo, I've not got around to blanking them off yet.

Don't have cruise control on that cheapo van?

If it has, I am yet to discover it. Would be nice.

Back