Advice on buying a motorhome private

actual CASH is nearly dead.. the covid nonsense fiasco accelerated its demise
there's nowt much you can do with actual paper cash (or "plastic" pound notes as they are now) anymore. Try paying for a flight or a holiday with actual cash now..
its impossible! Try using the stuff now to insure your car or motorbike or pay your mortgage? .. best of luck there

many yonks ago (late nineties) I did a cash job for a dodgy nightclub in Walsall for designing and fitting a couple of staircases. They paid me in actual pound notes (£42k) it took me ages to count all the bloody stuff and they gave it to me in a couple of plastic ASDA shopping carrier bags that I had to walk back to my car in the nearby multi-story car park.
I was shitening myself thinking that I might be mugged

but I got home without incident.. had a nice BBQ with my first missis and a few friends round.. I arranged a lot of the cash in nice bundles on the patio and we all just sat around getting pissed and admired it :LOL:
one mate was horrified when I used a tenner to light my fag off the BBQ :LOL: (but I wouldn't do it now)
spent a few grand of it on a holiday to the Canaries (back then you could walk into the holiday hypermarket and pau for the stuff over the counter)
also exchanged a fair bit of it for Euros (which I didn't need but converted back to Sterling and into my bank on return)
money laundering I suppose :unsure:

happy days but gone ..

(the one thing that I learned back then is that cash literally STINKS !
well the old paper money did anyway.. because that It had gone through many folks hands it smelt like a fetid body odour.. YUK :sick: )

Up until about 4 years ago I was on Pension Credit and we were not allowed to have more than 10k in the bank so had to work with cash, it's amazing that even the sellers were worried about it, I was happy to go to the bank with them.
Happy to pay cash, if that's what the seller wants, but wouldn't take a shed load of it, unless of course they came to bank with me.

actual CASH is nearly dead.. the covid nonsense fiasco accelerated its demise
there's nowt much you can do with actual paper cash (or "plastic" pound notes as they are now) anymore. Try paying for a flight or a holiday with actual cash now..
its impossible! Try using the stuff now to insure your car or motorbike or pay your mortgage? .. best of luck there

many yonks ago (late nineties) I did a cash job for a dodgy nightclub in Walsall for designing and fitting a couple of staircases. They paid me in actual pound notes (£42k) it took me ages to count all the bloody stuff and they gave it to me in a couple of plastic ASDA shopping carrier bags that I had to walk back to my car in the nearby multi-story car park.
I was shitening myself thinking that I might be mugged

but I got home without incident.. had a nice BBQ with my first missis and a few friends round.. I arranged a lot of the cash in nice bundles on the patio and we all just sat around getting pissed and admired it :LOL:
one mate was horrified when I used a tenner to light my fag off the BBQ :LOL: (but I wouldn't do it now)
spent a few grand of it on a holiday to the Canaries (back then you could walk into the holiday hypermarket and pau for the stuff over the counter)
also exchanged a fair bit of it for Euros (which I didn't need but converted back to Sterling and into my bank on return)
money laundering I suppose :unsure:

happy days but gone ..

(the one thing that I learned back then is that cash literally STINKS !
well the old paper money did anyway.. because that It had gone through many folks hands it smelt like a fetid body odour.. YUK :sick: )
Of course not Tim if you are buying on line, but try buying a curry etc CASH only.

Dot gov doesn't like it as they don;t know where it came from or going and can't tax it, bank hate it because it is expensive to move around, but god help us if we ever become a cashless society, no more back handers no more can we lose the VAT it all gets expensive :( :( :(

Of course not Tim if you are buying on line, but try buying a curry etc CASH only.

Dot gov doesn't like it as they don;t know where it came from or going and can't tax it, bank hate it because it is expensive to move around, but god help us if we ever become a cashless society, no more back handers no more can we lose the VAT it all gets expensive :( :( :(

A lot of takeaways you can order and pay online now Kev.

Reactions: GMJ
none of the takeaways around here (that deliver to your door) accept cash anymore (cuz the delivery drivers used to get held up for the money I expect)
you have to pay prior by card or order via just eat etc..
it doesn't bother me.. saves going around to the cash dispenser

I always ask “how much for cash” even in the takeaways and usually get it ‘rounded down’ at least, even accepting card payments costs them a fortune hence our local chippy going ‘cash only’ and. That’s before the delivery guys take a cut.

50/50 here with chipshops,also many charity shops want cash, owners are millionairs and take 99p in every pound lifted.
Small garages also cash in hand along with tyre fitters other than the big ones. ;)

Many years ago Tim a few people I worked with were doing a sponsored walk and one of them asked me to sponsor him.

I had already sponsored 2 other people so I said no, with that he called me a tight b*****d. This annoyed me somewhat so I chucked a £10 note into the ashtray and set light to it. He was horrified watching it burn and tried to pull it from the ashtray but I stopped him and reminded him to never call me tight again.

Speaking of money to burn - does anybody remember the KLF incident?

Van picked up this morning at 7am, all good. Drove it half a mile to the garage for the Cambelt. At last! I was a little concerned after parting with so much money that I would turn up this morning and it would have mysteriously vanished but thankfully not. :D

Not sure what time we will pick it up. Quite a big job a cambelt apparently.

Van picked up this morning at 7am, all good. Drove it half a mile to the garage for the Cambelt. At last! I was a little concerned after parting with so much money that I would turn up this morning and it would have mysteriously vanished but thankfully not. :D

Not sure what time we will pick it up. Quite a big job a cambelt apparently.
AAAAAANNNNDDDDD Relax...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:219)

JVG, mark61, Pudsey Bear, pamjon, jacquigem, RichardHelen262, jeanette, caledonia, Wully, longtoedsloth, Jo001, Charlynch, oppy, runnach, Bigshug, Robmac, maingate, cooperman, r4dent, campervanannie, mistericeman, TeamRienza, Nabsim, winks, MartinFife, Fisherman, lthoel2, rugbyken, ajb70, izwozral, Scotia, Canalsman, clarkpeacock, Steve and Julie, Alberto, wildebus, Rod, colinm, yorkslass, korky, Drover, number14, andyjanet, Duetto 1999, Bouydog, NSY, AllanD, TJBi, RSD7a, jann, Boris7, Topmast, kingfisher1, GeoffL, Gerry Attrick, timatabsa, Tim120, hmssnake, trevskoda, guerdeval, ton27, tobym, stonedaddy, GinaRon, liz, Wooie1958, BigEus, ricc, mariesnowgoose, GMJ, hamsterberg27, Neckender, Dezi, marchie, davep10000, Heppy, exwindsurfer, ewen, Norfolk NewBoy, chrishunter, zzr1400tim, ironman, Murgzie, Tezza33, Gerti58, molly 2, yeoblade, merl, Fazerloz, alanfleming, Glass man, Obanboy666, Martin P, Lioncrunch, DTF, Dowel, 1807truckman, mrlobby, iampatman, Outdoors Dad, Sharon the Cat, n brown, cornish hymer, Mandoman, tripper, shortcircuit, helmit, maxsdad, Millie Master, neildent, 2cv, glekay, Cass, kensowerby, HurricaneSmith, flying kipper, marsden, Andys, SquirrellCook, dtdunn, REC, Gasdave, V1nny, guym3, VandA, Tapfitter, dannyktm, Divine Right, BigD003, Ellendale, BM48, eriksleden, Magsw, Mick H, vtwinner, davef, Minky, horace, roady987, jas900, tribute11, in it for fun, Moocher, Sheila Bryant, Motoroamer, iris dement, Tim1953, mrs t, Tarmacapache, Daz65, Yolo, SApril, Thistle, Elfit, knowledgeseeker, Lib, 2Coops, Nickrock, Sue Paskins, TeamPuffin, Nomad Nelly, Rutaria, Mikekilbride, Rolyan57, Mobilvetta, David Glassford, noah and nelly, Bubble, Mikecoo, Rupert, Jiwawa, campingfun, TCall, Gingersgirl, gettingolder2, WalesGraham, coundonroad, G and T, kwil69, Wardy73, bnb080, GWAYGWAY, barrypat, Hamewilldaeme, Richard Surgey, Hornet49, alcam, Firefox, Goofer, Carrerasax, WingNut, petermotorhome, swedenut, Texastom, chrisvs57, bartman, reiverlad, Kennymac, Gadabout2, 1 Cup, Quiddle, gasgas, Lee, Hagg3066, ScarletPimple, davidjlambert, Glandwr, Palette, Owlhouse, Val54, Adriafan, Blackdog, roddew, Forcesixwindy, smackaylvit, Mickrick, sueb, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, Windy6,
Back