Advice on buying a motorhome private

Yeah, but it's closer, so even you can't bugger it up now hopefully.

Last edited:
The final piece of the Jigsaw. Does it fit on the drive? Oh feckin yes!!! 😵‍💫 To say this was an arse clenching moment would be an understatement. Made worse by the fact that is longer than Hank and the road outside isnt very wide with big curbs, stone walls etc. Somebody is looking after me on this one though as I opened the door and thought I am never getting out (at the garage end) and there is no way I would have had I not lost a stone and a half in the last couple of months. If ever there was an incentive to keep up the diet this is it! However I did cock up slightly, I could have got an inch or two further to the right so I might be allowed a Pie or two in the future if I get that bit right. I am now going to lie down and have a heart attack. :ROFLMAO:

Well did boy.

I can see why you go in forwards, but I would hate that, I much prefer to back in if at all possible as you can see so much more in the mirrors.

I assume Michelle has to guide you in and out, probably the same with the van :D :D :D

I bet that's fun.

GB sticker off...

Well did boy.

I can see why you go in forwards, but I would hate that, I much prefer to back in if at all possible as you can see so much more in the mirrors.

I assume Michelle has to guide you in and out, probably the same with the van :D :D :D

I bet that's fun.

GB sticker off...

I can generally put them away on my own but she helped today as it was all a bit of an unknown. I used to park Hank 1 in there like a proper pro, no fuss. You cant use the mirrors. They have to be folded away and they are really thick still. Obviously you have to have someone guide you out otherwise you might just end up wearing a 20 ton Tractor. Reversing out could be interesting as the rear view is nowhere near as good through the rear lounge as the old van but it has a fancy reversing camera / camera mirror but in reverse it only shows the very close up of the rear end. Perhaps there is a way to change that view on the camera. Ill figure it out.

The final piece of the Jigsaw. Does it fit on the drive? Oh feckin yes!!! 😵‍💫 To say this was an arse clenching moment would be an understatement. Made worse by the fact that is longer than Hank and the road outside isnt very wide with big curbs, stone walls etc. Somebody is looking after me on this one though as I opened the door and thought I am never getting out (at the garage end) and there is no way I would have had I not lost a stone and a half in the last couple of months. If ever there was an incentive to keep up the diet this is it! However I did cock up slightly, I could have got an inch or two further to the right so I might be allowed a Pie or two in the future if I get that bit right. I am now going to lie down and have a heart attack. :ROFLMAO:

Brilliant bit of driving if you ask me, especially as it’s your new van. Bet your nipit was twitching a bit 😂

I can generally put them away on my own but she helped today as it was all a bit of an unknown. I used to park Hank 1 in there like a proper pro, no fuss. You cant use the mirrors. They have to be folded away and they are really thick still. Obviously you have to have someone guide you out otherwise you might just end up wearing a 20 ton Tractor. Reversing out could be interesting as the rear view is nowhere near as good through the rear lounge as the old van but it has a fancy reversing camera / camera mirror but in reverse it only shows the very close up of the rear end. Perhaps there is a way to change that view on the camera. Ill figure it out.
Press v1/v2

Brilliant bit of driving if you ask me, especially as it’s your new van. Bet your nipit was twitching a bit 😂

You are not kidding (The nipit bit) :D Took me three attempts but that was mainly not being used to the turning angles of the new van which are actually better than the old one. Its getting it straight before you make your run in thats important. The worry with this one is the Luton cab is so much bigger than the old one and if you are not straight there is a chance ill take out the wall with it when swinging in.

How did you like driving it?

Brilliant. Ride was a bit firm but mainly in a good way and as I mentioned to you previously there are a lot of rattles on any bumpy roads but I think its the overhead lockers. Two things struck me. There is absolutely nothing in it so its probably bouncing about a bit more than it will once I dig into that near 1 ton payload and with the cupboards empty they are probably magnifying the sound. I think there are 79psi in the tyres which seems high but probably right once its loaded up. Sat lovely on the motorway at 65-70. Took a while to remember there were six gears and I was impressed that on the big hill up the A66 before you get to our turnoff it got up in 6th. I suspect it wont fully loaded. No arm rest on the right hand side of the drivers chair which I used to like.

The camera mirror takes a bit of getting used to. The old one is in the glove box but I think ill keep it.

The only other thing I noticed is there are no mud flaps I dont think on the front or the back and it got mucky when the previous owner took it to the quarry to get weighed. I think I would like some putting on

Brilliant. Ride was a bit firm but mainly in a good way and as I mentioned to you previously there are a lot of rattles on any bumpy roads but I think its the overhead lockers. Two things struck me. There is absolutely nothing in it so its probably bouncing about a bit more than it will once I dig into that near 1 ton payload and with the cupboards empty they are probably magnifying the sound. I think there are 79psi in the tyres which seems high but probably right once its loaded up. Sat lovely on the motorway at 65-70. Took a while to remember there were six gears and I was impressed that on the big hill up the A66 before you get to our turnoff it got up in 6th. I suspect it wont fully loaded. No arm rest on the right hand side of the drivers chair which I used to like.

The camera mirror takes a bit of getting used to. The old one is in the glove box but I think ill keep it.

The only other thing I noticed is there are no mud flaps I dont think on the front or the back and it got mucky when the previous owner took it to the quarry to get weighed. I think I would like some putting on

I have the same monitor but it fits over the Fiat mirror so the Remis blinds fit around it ok, Mudflaps are a good idea, but pricey for a bit of rubber, the hab windows need the fly screens to be used as well as the blinds to keep light out and prying eyes, my tyres are at 52psi, re going uphill in 6th, it will do it but not a good idea it puts a strain on the whole transmission, look for you torque output revs, drop to 5th

Treat yourself to a 360° view camera system.

https://www.trailervision.co.uk/360sv-leisure

Wow! I think I have enough new tech to be dealing with though at the moment coming from a van from the last century. Impressive kit though. I also think the chancellor is going to start kerbing my spending soon. Gaslow and a very expensive scooter rack to sort first and no doubt more or better solar and batteries.

Yeah, what might be better is a truck like kerb mirror over the passenger door, I've seen one on a LHD van so they are out there.

Two problems is they can be quite big and it would have to be screwed to the door top, but he's been doing it with Michelle now so he should be good at it by now.

Yeah, what might be better is a truck like kerb mirror over the passenger door, I've seen one on a LHD van so they are out there.

Two problems is they can be quite big and it would have to be screwed to the door top, but he's been doing it with Michelle now so he should be good at it by now.

You would have to fold it in as soon as you got on the drive like I do the main mirrors. Got to get reverse it out today and transfer all the stuff, Looks like I am delivering Hank 1 today to the new buyers. I need it gone and to speed the process up I offered to deliver it if they do a bank transfer first but I think they are struggling with the bank transfer. So what I have agreed to do is take the van, go down with them to their bank and do the transfer in their bank there and then. Then ill hand over the keys.

you couldn't really fit one as they are for trucks so quite big but if you could find a small one they look down not back so might be okay as they don't stick out much.

However you can get quite small 90° wide angle cameras that would fit on the Luton bit to look down on the nearside, I bought one for here as I had to reverse in but we decided to try it on the other side of the drive and it's much easier to drive in now.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back