12vdc Fridges - Average Power Used?

This is the last 30 days with first 10 days fridge set at 2 of 5 bars.
20220521_131038.jpg
fridge 70ltr consumption from solar controller set at 3 of 5 bars

Last edited:
So about 500 watt per day . Its the only thing connect to battery. The temperature was not high
Brilliant info, thanks.

We seem to be at about 700 wh per day at 4 of the 5 settings as 3 lets it get to over 6 deg C before kicking in.

Although now we are using the main lead leisure battery system to run it as that is more convenient (with the RiverPro lithium as back up), so I can’t monitor use precisely.

-20 is so we can get the food home from shops ,, the feezers can be set lower , say -5 or evan -1 as it need to just do ice cubes and ice cream or ice packs and save power. I'm Not going to have a leg of lamb in there.

Noted thanks.

View attachment 108807
Apart from the door opening spikes and the attempt to run it on setting 3 rather than 4 around midday on the 18 the fridge has been behaving well. It just goes too low sometimes ;)
I think thats normal as it has to spike to turn off the compressor ! Its only a short time not constant.
3pm and 5pm was you cooking or something ? Is the temp in van changed ie heating on ?

Brilliant info, thanks.

We seem to be at about 700 wh per day at 4 of the 5 settings as 3 lets it get to over 6 deg C before kicking in.

Although now we are using the main lead leisure battery system to run it as that is more convenient (with the RiverPro lithium as back up), so I can’t monitor use precisely.

Bit worried as temp is on the higher setting and it's only may 60 degrees? Or are you in a hotter country.
I'm hope in for 80s and 90s in England. And still got 2 more clicks that mite not be enough.
Question : English fridges insulation the same as equator fridges ? Should we put more insulation around them. Even tho its a 2020 fridge

It’s a perfect max of 22 deg C (70f) in van 18 outside in S Wales at the mo.
3pm is afternoon tea time and 5 ish would be food prep and or adding shopping. So perhaps compressor is running a double shift to cool and staying on slightly longer than necessary.

These fridges are only rated to operate at plus 25 deg C iirc, so will need and benefit from additional installation if you want they to run colder in hotter temps or more efficiently.

-20 is so we can get the food home from shops ,, the feezers can be set lower , say -5 or evan -1 as it need to just do ice cubes and ice cream or ice packs and save power. I'm Not going to have a leg of lamb in there.
Incorrect, data from food safe council.
fridge.png
freezer.png

The temp required does depend on the usage. If food is needed to be kept for longer periods, the temp needs to be lower.
Below -18C is long term frozen storage (upto 12 months for some food)
Around -12C is safe for around 2 -3 weeks I think it is.
Around -6C is ok for a week or so.
The typical HOME freezer is a 4* freezer. The typical MH freezer is a 2* freezer as it is expected it gets used for no more than a week or so and the compartments are small so food does not tend to be stored for long but rather bought to eat in the next few days.
Another problem with MH (3-way) fridges is they are poor at maintaining cold temp and fluctuate, so food thaws and refreezes. This is not good, but you don't tend to know about it except for ice cream! Always a good idea to get a logging temp sensor for a freezer for food safety.

FWIW, My freezer is a 4* one, but I run it as a 3* (-12C to -14C) as it saves a bit of power and I don't keep food in there long term.

Interestingly, I made some frozen Oven chips on Friday and the packet actually gave storage duration info depending on temp of freezer. Don't think I have seen that before on chips?!

The above data I posted is for a normal home freezer being used day to day, no wonder half of you lot are in and out of hospitals. 😂

The above data I posted is for a normal home freezer being used day to day, no wonder half of you lot are in and out of hospitals. 😂
One thing I bear in mind .... I don't have any meat in my freezer. That eliminates the great majority of "unsafe storage" bugs,

Milk, fruit juice, Cheese, packet meat for me, carrots for the dogs, in fridge section and Gluten free bread and mixed frozen veg in freezer. No room to store stuff we won’t eat in a few days in an 80l fridge.
But with a choice of range for temps 0-4 deg C on “4” or ?-6+ deg C on “3” I really have no choice.
A logging Bluetooth (fridge) thermometer is the best £10 I’ve spent for peace of mind. Saves opening door to check temp or if it’s running which is good because the CRE only has internal indication lights.

Ok, a few comments ....

A typical decent Compressor Fridge will use around 1.5Ah/Hr average. When running it will be around 4A, but the compressor only runs part of the time, so it averages at around 1.5A.
In hot weather, the power consumption goes up notably - on the official figures, it can nearly double. For most people, that does not matter massively as if they are wild-camping, they typically have solar and the solar in hot (so sunny usually) brings in more power then when overcast and cooler. As you DON'T have solar, the increased consumption could be an important factor (so maybe as I suggesed, a portable solar kit could be handy?)
USING the fridge makes a remarkable difference as well. when I say "using", I mean opening door to take food out, put food back, etc. The official figures and most consumption data (including mine) will be based on the door kept closed. I have noticed that when I look at my power logging for the fridge, I can actually tell very easily when I load it up or do any kind of re-arranging - the 'cool' goes very quickly through an open door and much faster than you might imagine. I wonder if that was a factor in your 30Ah vs 60Ah power use days?

Now on power use, I found my Waeco 50CRX would run for just about 2 days on a pair of 100Ah Lead Acid batteries until they dropped to 50% - so that would be 100Ah taken out in those 2 days. that is around about the same as your findings by the look of it (90Ah in two days).
Now of course bear in mind you are not only running the fridge, but using lights or whatever. My 240V Compressor Fridge uses significantly less power per day than the Motorhome habitation system generally when I am using it, so my battery bank is not sized to support the fridge but using what I want to use. Unless you are very frugal, off-grid and with no solar, you will be using that generator a fair bit I would guess?

As you have fitted the Compressor Fridge where the old 3-Way fridge is, you could take advantage of the venting and fit a cooling kit if you think the fridge migght be getting hot and so less efficient?
I fitted a "proper" cooling kit to mine. When I say "proper" I simply mean a commercially packaged all-in-one kit with temperature-controlled speed control and a nice little control panel. You can obviously rig up your own more cheaply, but I decided to treat myself :)
I found the fans fitted perfectly on the Thetford mesh vent screen ...
View attachment 108619
I have victron inverter/charger, two Leoch lead carbon batteries giving 230amps, a small domestic 240v fridge and I am happy.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back