Withdrawal of LPG pumps from all Shell Service Stations 2020

Our brand new state of the art Morrisons has just opened. No LPG pump.

Had a conversation with the Cashier at my local Shell. They haven't been told yet and she was very surprised as she said LPG is one of their best sellers - (that'll be because there aren't any other suppliers here). She is also worried by Shell's reply to me about installing hydrogen and electric as they are a relatively small forecourt - is it going to be allowed by H&S to have electric in high voltage amounts so close to petrol tanks? Or hydrogen, come to that. Sadly, I left her feeling her job is no longer secure.

Reactions: RAW
Our brand new state of the art Morrisons has just opened. No LPG pump.

Had a conversation with the Cashier at my local Shell. They haven't been told yet and she was very surprised as she said LPG is one of their best sellers - (that'll be because there aren't any other suppliers here). She is also worried by Shell's reply to me about installing hydrogen and electric as they are a relatively small forecourt - is it going to be allowed by H&S to have electric in high voltage amounts so close to petrol tanks? Or hydrogen, come to that. Sadly, I left her feeling her job is no longer secure.

I spoke to a (non-Shell) supplier in Carlisle and he told me that it was not a decision by Shell to remove the LPG but, in fact, Calor - the supplier of LPG to Shell
He also said that NOT ALL SHELL Stations would have LPG removed but rather it was dependent on who else supplied LPG in the unspecified local Radius.
So this Shell Station on M6 North still has LPG and will maybe continue to do so

Shell Carlisle North
Station ID:3284
M6/A74 Northbound, Carlisle
CA6 4HA

Not sure how accurate that might be, and passing it on.
Cheers
Robert

This is why, whenever I possibly can when touring the UK, I always keep my LPG tank topped up to the brim.............. Of course when over in Europe there isn't any need to do so as the LPG stations can be found so frequently.

This is why, whenever I possibly can when touring the UK, I always keep my LPG tank topped up to the brim.............. Of course when over in Europe there isn't any need to do so as the LPG stations can be found so frequently.
The recent North Scotland Trip could not be done from the last LPG Fill Point in North to John O'Groats and back to the LPG point with the Tank Size, approx 50Litre that I have. There is an LPG Station in the Far North but on FILLLPG it is marked as LPG Unavailable
Gleaner - Allans of Gillock Ltd.
Station ID:1598

I phoned them and their Pump is broken, this meant we ran out of LPG in the Highlands. Hey ho

I ran LPG vehicles from the 1990's until last year.
I have 2 solar home installations at the highest rate of return.

I didn't do the above to save the environment; it was because they were good for me financially. Reducing my carbon footprint was just a consequence.

The high tax on fuel does not reduce my driving.

We all know which of the above the government is committed to keeping going.
Very honest post .
In other words financial penalties , or incentives , are the only way to get the general public to change their habits

The recent North Scotland Trip could not be done from the last LPG Fill Point in North to John O'Groats and back to the LPG point with the Tank Size, approx 50Litre that I have. There is an LPG Station in the Far North but on FILLLPG it is marked as LPG Unavailable
Gleaner - Allans of Gillock Ltd.
Station ID:1598

I phoned them and their Pump is broken, this meant we ran out of LPG in the Highlands. Hey ho
It can certainly be a problem .
Though 50 litres would last me a month !

I spoke to a (non-Shell) supplier in Carlisle and he told me that it was not a decision by Shell to remove the LPG but, in fact, Calor - the supplier of LPG to Shell
He also said that NOT ALL SHELL Stations would have LPG removed but rather it was dependent on who else supplied LPG in the unspecified local Radius.
So this Shell Station on M6 North still has LPG and will maybe continue to do so

Shell Carlisle North
CA6 4HA

Cheers
Robert
He is wrong Shell bean counters made the decision not Calor, as I posted earlier this year the Shell forecourt refurbishment program that started in the summer will result in all LPG being removed.

He is wrong Shell bean counters made the decision not Calor, as I posted earlier this year the Shell forecourt refurbishment program that started in the summer will result in all LPG being removed.

Strange have you changed your name as it shows this is your first post on your post count and joined 29sept this year.

Shell Carlisle North
CA6 4HA

Cheers
Robert

He is wrong. See the first post in this thread where I posted an e-mail I had received from Shell, in which they said "in the UK, customer demand for LPG for domestic transportation is declining and many of our Autogas service stations are increasingly underutilised. As a result Shell are moving towards offering alternative low-carbon transport fuels such as electric vehicle charging or hydrogen, areas where we are seeing increasing customer demand."

Strange have you changed your name as it shows this is your first post on your post count and joined 29sept this year.
No I normally post on self build forum and my earlier reply was to a different thread same subject.

He is wrong. See the first post in this thread where I posted an e-mail I had received from Shell, in which they said "in the UK, customer demand for LPG for domestic transportation is declining and many of our Autogas service stations are increasingly underutilised. As a result Shell are moving towards offering alternative low-carbon transport fuels such as electric vehicle charging or hydrogen, areas where we are seeing increasing customer demand."
Will just have to suck it and see as they say to find out what is going on...
thanks for your reply though :)

Just thinking if you had a large gas tank at home for c/heating as many out of town here do,could you not tap into that for filling your camper refillable gas bottles.

I think that’s quite possible. Contact a clued up gas engineer like Chris at Autogas 2000.
He “Worked the Oracle” on my van on a supply system that Gaslow said could not be done.

Hey @Caz - You are Right and He is Wrong (LOL) - so I banged an email off to the same person and got back, fairly quickly, pretty much the same resposne as you
----------------------------------------------
Dear Robert,

Many thanks for your email

LPG is a valuable energy source for numerous business applications in industry and transportation. However, in the UK, customer demand for LPG for domestic transportation is declining and many of our Autogas service stations are increasingly underutilised. As a result Shell are moving towards offering alternative low-carbon transport fuels such as electric vehicle charging or hydrogen, areas where they are seeing increasing customer demand.

The removal of LPG from Shell sites is not a decision they have taken lightly. I can confirm that all Shell owned sites will have the LPG removed within the next 18 – 24 months. In the absence of the Shell offering there are still over 1000 LPG sites throughout the UK.

You may find the following links www.filllpg.co.uk and www.drivelpg.co.uk useful for alternative sites.

I would like to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience that this decision has caused and to thank you again for reaching out to us with your concerns.

Kind regards,

Sam

Samantha Wiggett
Network and Pricing Assistant
Autogas Limited
Brought to you by Calor and Shell
--------------------

Not much more to say really (sad face)

Not sure if where it originated from but I have heard this will only affect Shell owned stations and others that just sell Shell are not obliged to follow suite

They are just banging out the same letter to anyone who enquires, they aren't actually reading what we wrote and replying to it.

"In the absence of the Shell offering there are still over 1000 LPG sites throughout the UK. " Maybe, but they are not spread around the country enough to be practicable. Plus many of them are like the one I found today in Telford - only open Mon - Fri during business hours. Not much use if I need fuel in the evenings or at weekends, and very long winded as the pump was quite a way from "reception", I had to go there and ask a lady who said she would get "one of the lads" to come out to me; eventually he arrived and filled the car for me, then I had to go back to reception. The "lad" couldn't work the till so he had to and find the lady to do it. In all it took over 20 mins, in my Shell garage I do it myself, go in and pay, 5 mins tops.

They are just banging out the same letter to anyone who enquires, they aren't actually reading what we wrote and replying to it.

"In the absence of the Shell offering there are still over 1000 LPG sites throughout the UK. " Maybe, but they are not spread around the country enough to be practicable. Plus many of them are like the one I found today in Telford - only open Mon - Fri during business hours. Not much use if I need fuel in the evenings or at weekends, and very long winded as the pump was quite a way from "reception", I had to go there and ask a lady who said she would get "one of the lads" to come out to me; eventually he arrived and filled the car for me, then I had to go back to reception. The "lad" couldn't work the till so he had to and find the lady to do it. In all it took over 20 mins, in my Shell garage I do it myself, go in and pay, 5 mins tops.
Luckily I'll only lose out on the tenner I paid for an adapter many years ago.
I'll be gutted, I only had to take it out of the gas locker and I'd get a wild site all to myself. 😉

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back