Withdrawal of LPG pumps from all Shell Service Stations 2020

Caz

I queried this rumour with Shell, apparently it is true. Their condescending reply:

Many thanks for your email about the removal of LPG from Shell Forecourts.

Apologies for our delay in responding to you.

LPG is a valuable energy source for numerous business applications in industry and transportation. However, in the UK, customer demand for LPG for domestic transportation is declining and many of our Autogas service stations are increasingly underutilised. As a result Shell are moving towards offering alternative low-carbon transport fuels such as electric vehicle charging or hydrogen, areas where we are seeing increasing customer demand.

The removal of LPG from Shell sites is not a decision they have taken lightly. In the absence of the Shell offering there are still over 1000 Autogas sites throughout the UK.

You may find the following links www.filllpg.co.uk and www.drivelpg.co.uk useful for alternative sites.

I would like to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience that this decision has caused and to thank you again for reaching out to us with your concerns.

Kind regards,

Sam

Samantha Wiggett

Network and Pricing Assistant

Autogas Limited

Brought to you by Calor and Shell

Tel: 01527 895171

Fax: 01527 894123

e-mail: swiggett@autogaslimited.co.uk

Well,
Thank for posting that Caz,
I suppose it’s just a Basic business decision based on ‘Supply & Demand, It’s another example o ‘Use it or Loose it’ !.

In time exactly the same will happen with petrol and diesel.
Yes every new or rebuild station has to by planing regs install electric charge points,petrol and derv will still be sold well after the cut of date for piston engine sales but on a very small scale.

Pleased I live within 4 miles of a Calor depot.
Convenient and cheaper than most if not all of the forecourt lpg prices.

I asked Shell for confirmation and got same reply. I also asked Morrisons and they replied they have no plans to stop lpg. I also asked BP but not had reply yet. (Morrisons lpg is supplied by BP) . You can download a list of Morrisons stations that have lpg.

This was one of my concerns about swapping from the overly expensive Calor cylinders and looking at a GasIT refillable system. Lets face it, as motorhomers we make up a small minority of the population and then the ones using refillable systems are an even smaller minority.
I remember a few years ago the government pushing big petrol engine users to convert to gas (I had a 4ltr Jeep at the time). The thing that put me off was the messing about having to still have petrol through the engine until it was warm and then swapping over to gas (I think this was the case?) plus the added cost of conversion to getting your money back wasn't worth it for my already old Jeep.
This conversion just doesnt seem to be a viable option anymore as the government now push electric power (I'm not convinced this is the way forward, but this is a totally diffrent argument).
Anyway, with less demand you can see how it's more viable to remove the LPG pumps and make better use of the space.
Maybe the way forward is to remove the gas all together (from our vans) and go fully electric (lithium batteries, solar and at the worse charge up at your local garage instead of filling with gas?).

This was one of my concerns about swapping from the overly expensive Calor cylinders and looking at a GasIT refillable system. Lets face it, as motorhomers we make up a small minority of the population and then the ones using refillable systems are an even smaller minority.
I remember a few years ago the government pushing big petrol engine users to convert to gas (I had a 4ltr Jeep at the time). The thing that put me off was the messing about having to still have petrol through the engine until it was warm and then swapping over to gas (I think this was the case?) plus the added cost of conversion to getting your money back wasn't worth it for my already old Jeep.
This conversion just doesnt seem to be a viable option anymore as the government now push electric power (I'm not convinced this is the way forward, but this is a totally diffrent argument).
Anyway, with less demand you can see how it's more viable to remove the LPG pumps and make better use of the space.
Maybe the way forward is to remove the gas all together (from our vans) and go fully electric (lithium batteries, solar and at the worse charge up at your local garage instead of filling with gas?).
Those of us still around in 20 years will have no option ,all electric,do remember france and others have only 10 years to go to full electric.

Best to have both calor and refillable. Where I am now on the Yorkshire coast the nearest lpg station is 20 miles away. When the gaslow runs out I just switch to calor and when that runs out I wack it on the scooter and go round to the campsite down the road for a new bottle.

Of course hopefully in mainland Europe where most people tend to "tour" a bit more it won't be a problem

Flavour of the month The 'Greater Whateverburn', up for her Nobel prize for world science, would say you do not need anything other than a pushbike ,so do not need fuels at all including for your home. This is all bullXXXX and there are loads of climatologist having all their grants and research money taken and being sacked or vilified for contradicting the 16 year old autistic child with a fixation , and two full time minders to make sure she says the line. As given by George Soros and the other gods of the the universe.
Trump and his advisors are correct over this one, as we will find out when control has gone to the elites.

Greta is right about everything, it's a self evident tautology. So I've decided to give up the diesel munching campervan, I'm going to replace it with a private yacht, which I will use for all journeys in future.

Get rid of lpg pumps and replace with electric charging points? I can't see garage forecourts liking electric vehicles taking up the space for hours on end or however long it takes to charge such vehicles.

LPG for road vehicles was (is?) the best option.
As you suggested, doing an aftermarket fit does not work out financially unless doing lots of miles per annum.

Buying a vehicle already on LPG saves a lot of money on fuel costs. The MPG of LPG running is only slightly lower than petrol but the fuel cost is half the price.

The emissions are very clean, hence the reason FLT's run on LPG when used inside warehouses.

It was such a good saving that once the truck firms started to make use of it the law was changed to stop them in their tracks.

I beleive LPG didn't take off with the masses as it was not publicised enough (if at all) and the refil nozzles put a lot of people off.

Switching from petrol to LPG was an automatic function and you only needed to top up the petrol side very occasionally; it was not an issue.

If everyone used it the gov would tax it to same level as other fuels,this happened in the irish republic and all but one or two places now sell it.

If everyone used it the gov would tax it to same level as other fuels,this happened in the irish republic and all but one or two places now sell it.

Of course. At the same time the air would be a lot cleaner which is the main purpose of using it for road going vehicles.

It is like the home solar issue. As soon as it took off in a big way the incentives were reduced to stop the success.

They both prove the government has no desire to clean the air up with positive incentives.

I ran LPG vehicles from the 1990's until last year.
I have 2 solar home installations at the highest rate of return.

I didn't do the above to save the environment; it was because they were good for me financially. Reducing my carbon footprint was just a consequence.

The high tax on fuel does not reduce my driving.

We all know which of the above the government is committed to keeping going.

To be honest, if to make lpg viable to garages they increase the price to double what it is now, I'd be quite happy to pay as it would still be a lot cheaper than exchanging bottles of Calor.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back