Withdrawal of LPG pumps from all Shell Service Stations 2020

Personally I don't see anything "condecending" in the content or tone of that letter. Perfectly reasonable.

Yes, condescending (not sure what your point is in spelling the word incorrectly?) How about "You may find the following links www.filllpg.co.uk and www.drivelpg.co.uk useful for alternative sites." when I'd told them in my email where my nearest suppliers will be when they pull the plug on my local one. It's obviously a standard reply, they didn't read what I said at all. I also told them that would be losing a lot of petrol sales as folk will get that when they fill up with LPG.

There's a lot of LPG dual fuel cars (4x4s) in this area, I wonder if anyone has told the Farmers yet?

A flaming round trip of at least 32 miles to fill my car!

I was curious about this "As a result Shell are moving towards offering alternative low-carbon transport fuels such as electric vehicle charging or hydrogen, areas where we are seeing increasing customer demand."

Are there really already a numbers of owners of hydrogen fuelled vehicles demanding fuel?

Never seen any hyd cars here that i know of but electric is getting big.
Most cars here do a max of 7 to 14 miles a day,into city/work,school run and shoping,so all the costs of petrol go away like oil filters censer probs ex pipes bursting with rust holes,clutches,fan belts ,water pumps,head gaskets etc,electric is the way but not realy all that green as making and disposing of old batterys makes more dirty gas than a car running 12 years or so.

Never seen any hyd cars here that i know of but electric is getting big.
Most cars here do a max of 7 to 14 miles a day,into city/work,school run and shoping,so all the costs of petrol go away like oil filters censer probs ex pipes bursting with rust holes,clutches,fan belts ,water pumps,head gaskets etc,electric is the way but not realy all that green as making and disposing of old batterys makes more dirty gas than a car running 12 years or so.

It appears to me that people will be doing away with the drip feed repair costs and replacing them with one very big bill every few years; the battery bank.

Most cars don't require a massive multi thousand pound repair in their lifetime but all electric cars will. How will people budget for that?

Regardless, in winter we are on the cusp of failing to meet electricity demand in the UK at various times therefore we cannot supply the electric for us all to be driving them unless........
They reintroduce the solar incentives previously given that saw a boom in solar installations.
However, instead of that they are forcing us all to have smart meters so they can introduce multiple tariffs for electricity dependant on demand (you may have heard this here first?).

Shell are building a new service station just around the corner from me,be interesting to see what facilities they put in. I'm guessing there will be charging stations,so then they'll need something on site to help relieve you of cash while you wait,they've applied to sell booze 24hrs.

It appears to me that people will be doing away with the drip feed repair costs and replacing them with one very big bill every few years; the battery bank.

Most cars don't require a massive multi thousand pound repair in their lifetime but all electric cars will. How will people budget for that?

The battery pack is generally leased from the manufacturer with a monthly charge based on anticipated annual mileage.

Consequently you don't own the battery and it will be replaced if required. According to Wikipedia Toyota have run fleets of RAV4 EV vehicles for 100,000 miles with little degradation in range. So they last a long time.

Regardless, in winter we are on the cusp of failing to meet electricity demand in the UK at various times therefore we cannot supply the electric for us all to be driving them unless........
They reintroduce the solar incentives previously given that saw a boom in solar installations.
However, instead of that they are forcing us all to have smart meters so they can introduce multiple tariffs for electricity dependant on demand (you may have heard this here first?).
Batteries under 7 year warrenty from VW,cars here esp lady drivers clutch at least once a mth,ball joints,exhausts, and old farts to,never mind the tight ar-es who dont change oil or ever service once out or garentee.
When i worked in garages it was the same lot back week after week,could not drive a nail into wood,at least with electric a lot less for them to bu--er up.

The battery pack is generally leased from the manufacturer with a monthly charge based on anticipated annual mileage.

Consequently you don't own the battery and it will be replaced if required. According to Wikipedia Toyota have run fleets of RAV4 EV vehicles for 100,000 miles with little degradation in range. So they last a long time.

It's good to hear they have arranged a drip feed payment for the battery pack for owners from new; not sure how it will work for owners of second hand vehicles. Maybe the cars will be sold without a battery pack? which is a possibility if they are a leased item.

Didn’t that top gear show with the 2012 Nisan note say the vehicle was really now just scrap as the effective range was down to 35 miles per charge?

Batteries under 7 year warrenty from VW,cars here esp lady drivers clutch at least once a mth,ball joints,exhausts, and old farts to,never mind the tight ar-es who dont change oil or ever service once out or garentee.
When i worked in garages it was the same lot back week after week,could not drive a nail into wood,at least with electric a lot less for them to bu--er up.

None of them jobs should cost multi-thousands of pounds though.

7 years old is still young for a second hand diesel or petrol car which won't require a massive expense to keep it running.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the second hand market and independant garages in future.

None of them jobs should cost multi-thousands of pounds though.

7 years old is still young for a second hand diesel or petrol car which won't require a massive expense to keep it running.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the second hand market and independant garages in future.
cars here at that age can be had for less than a £100,my last car at7 cost 10 bucks,people here get rid at about 4 years before mot or when HP finishes,garages then give them 2 grand against a new one.
VW diesel injectors are a grand each,so at 4 g car is dumped.

LPG will be available for many many years in the UK. You just might need to plan a bit more in finding it.

LPG will be available for many many years in the UK. You just might need to plan a bit more in finding it.
Yes but could be 100 miles out of your way,think only 3/4 do it here now and almost no chance down south,mainland dif ball game.

Simple supply and demand economics.
But Shell will have done careful calculations in new build. I suspect the profit from two coffees and two croissants are bigger than a tank of diesel.
My local LPG Shell station is closed for redesign ATM. Bye bye to my LPG source then.

LPG is the way to reducing city pollution and has been for decades.
Long before people were encouraged to buy diesel most were using petrol cars and LPG had already been tried and tested and proved to work.
Refinement of the filling process would have helped but otherwise there was little to improve upon.
That meant most people could convert their existing vehicles and manufacturers could start fitting them at the factory from new. Nobody would run out of fuel whilst the fuel stations began the infrastructure changeover as there was always the fallback of petrol.
It just needed a little marketing to encourage the national take up; instead they chose to promote diesel.

Remember most of the cost of fuel is intentionally punitive to encourage (force) us to reduce our mileage to reduce pollution. Therefore if LPG was the main fuel in use there would actually be no reason to raise the price of it to match petrol or diesel as pollution would be going down (unless of course the actual reason for the high price of fuel is to raise as much as possible for the exchequer).

The truck industry had larger obstacles to overcome to get their vehicles to work on LPG as they were starting with Diesel engines which are much more complex to convert. Once some of them got it to work the government reduced the incentives thereby making it unviable for them to continue. This really was the sick work of the government preventing development and cleaner air for all. As I stated previously it is exactly what they have done more recently with the home solar industry.

I'm not denying climate change but I do deny the government wish to prevent it in any way that benefits us all. They need climate change in just the same way as they need terrorism; as a fear in us to justify all the punitive measures they use against us in order to suppress us and as a way to keep us spending in their pseudo capitalist society.

Simple supply and demand economics.
But Shell will have done careful calculations in new build. I suspect the profit from two coffees and two croissants are bigger than a tank of diesel.
My local LPG Shell station is closed for redesign ATM. Bye bye to my LPG source then.

If only that were true!
Unfortunately supply and demand is rarely simple. We are coerced into choosing what we demand then they are happy to supply it for us as it works best for them.

No where to put a LPG tank in my car as the boot only has space for slim emg wheel,something one cannot do without,could fit a ww2 gas bag on the roof though.

No where to put a LPG tank in my car as the boot only has space for slim emg wheel,something one cannot do without,could fit a ww2 gas bag on the roof though.

For aftermarket fit it could have gone there with the modern day option of puncture repair kit being carried. The manufacturers would have soon built the tank in once popularity was gained.
I agree though (having just bought a car with no spare wheel) that it is not nice to be without the option to change your wheel out on the road.

I'm not denying climate change but I do deny the government wish to prevent it in any way that benefits us all. They need climate change in just the same way as they need terrorism; as a fear in us to justify all the punitive measures they use against us in order to suppress us and as a way to keep us spending in their pseudo capitalist fully corporatist society.

I enjoyed your post, but had just one small thing to correct for you :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back