Wild camping on Mull

You will get people in hire vans who don't accept that others who might have to get to and from work, are working or making deliveries.

Just move over into the passing places, (clue in the name) you're on holiday they are not, so don't a A Hole, and watch out for any foreign reg plates they might not read Hinglish.

I agree mostly. We have just booked for next month and are really looking forward to a few days on the beautiful island. There are plenty of both campsites, and 'accepted' off grid locations. However, to put in perspective your comments on NIMBYs, a number of irresponsible motorohomers have sullied our reputation on the island. Our good friend has an Aunt who has lived on Mull on her life and he visits reagularly through the year, and reports that the locals have become very resentful of vans/homes hogging the single tracks and blocking access with poor parking. Let's all visit, but maybe for a while, go out of our way to show that we are good neighbours?
Sorry but whereas there are poor Motorhomers, poor car drivers, idiots in tents, in an island of 4000 there are one or two who simply don’t like us. In all my visits to mull both with and without my van I have never met an awkward local, on the contrary I have had nothing but good experiences with the locals I have met and spoken to. Even the offer of a place to park up for the night on one occasion. When I refer to Nimbys I am not suggesting that there are hundreds on the island, but to think there are none, would be akin to us believing that all Motorhome owners are careful, considerate, and well behaved, their not. I have witnessed poor behaviour on Mull, and in other locations.
I remember on the road to Fionpfort seeing an SUV parked up in a passing place with their tent set up on a grass verge near bye. I have seen poor behaviour from others but this seems not to be mentioned.

The reason I started this thread was to inform others that wild camping on Mull is possible, contrary to the advice offered in MMM, YouTube and online. Please look at this website, there are others that give the impression that you must only camp in a campsite.

I do apologise if I gave the impression that Mull is full of nimbys, it’s not. And I am sure your good friends aunt has grounds for complaint. But the vast majority on Mull either don’t give us a second thought, or welcome us. But like everywhere else there is a tiny minority who are active within their community, who simply don’t want us there, no matter how well behaved we are.
I hope you have a great trip there, it’s a stunning island.

Last edited:
Sorry but whereas there are poor Motorhomers, poor car drivers, idiots in tents, in an island of 4000 there are one or two who simply don’t like us. In all my visits to mull both with and without my van I have never met an awkward local, on the contrary I have had nothing but good experiences with the locals I have met and spoken to. Even the offer of a place to park up for the night on one occasion. When I refer to Nimbys I am not suggesting that there are hundreds on the island, but to think there are none, would be akin to us believing that all Motorhome owners are careful, considerate, and well behaved, their not. I have witnessed poor behaviour on Mull, and in other locations.
I remember on the road to Fionpfort seeing an SUV parked up in a passing place with their tent set up on a grass verge near bye. I have seen poor behaviour from others but this seems not to be mentioned.

The reason I started this thread was to inform others that wild camping on Mull is possible, contrary to the advice offered in MMM, YouTube and online. Please look at this website, there are others that give the impression that you must only camp in a campsite.

I do apologise if I gave the impression that Mull is full of nimbys, it’s not. And I am sure your good friends aunt has grounds for complaint. But the vast majority on Mull either don’t give us a second thought, or welcome us. But like everywhere else there is a tiny minority who are active within their community, who simply don’t want us there, no matter how well behaved we are.
I hope you have a great trip there, it’s a stunning island.
No probs, I get it, and thanks, we will!

Apologies Terry missed your post.
I never knew that about the cottages, or some of your other points Terry.
Next time I look at the cottages I will remember that, cheers Terry.

Bill, have you done the trek to the Fossil tree? Been close in our boat, but terrain rather harsh in a dry suit.

Bill, have you done the trek to the Fossil tree? Been close in our boat, but terrain rather harsh in a dry suit.
I have never even heard of it Terry.
Possibly one for the future. (y)

Bill, maybe you seen this useful link for all walks, Mull?

Nice website Terry, not for walking as I'm past that but we are looking at possible alternatives for when we have to give up using the van and we already like Mull, cottages were not on our radar but there are some nice ones on that site to consider, not sure if the prices are competitive or not as not looked much at other sites

Done three of these walks Terry.
My favourite and one of my favourite Scottish walks is to ascend Ben Fhadda then head up the ridge to Ben More. The day we did it the weather was great and so were the views. Another great walk not listed is loch Ba to Ben More. Loch Frisa is the largest loch on any of Scotland islands and we walked round it, all 13 miles. We were doing ok until we had to go through a Forrest which had been turned into a quagmire by forestry work. We had to come off the path and walk through the trees, by the time we got back to the car it was dark, luckily we had torches or we would have been in bother. Here’s some of the shots from our walk up Ben Fhadda then up Ben More.

IMG_0067.jpeg
IMG_0066.jpeg
IMG_0062.jpeg
IMG_0058.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice website Terry, not for walking as I'm past that but we are looking at possible alternatives for when we have to give up using the van and we already like Mull, cottages were not on our radar but there are some nice ones on that site to consider, not sure if the prices are competitive or not as not looked much at other sites
The walk to the lighthouse from Tobermory is a stroll in the park Kev.
It can be a bit muddy, and it’s the path the lighthouse keepers used to take, so it’s a clear coastal path of about 1.5 miles. There are benches along the route, and at the end. Hear what awaits when you get to the lighthouse. The hill in the distance over the sound of mull is Ben Hiant, we got the ferry over and did that many moons ago. We always wanted to do it after seeing it from the lighthouse. We were lucky we only just managed to get the last ferry over to Mull by the skin of our teeth.
IMG_0121.jpeg

Done three of these walks Terry.
My favourite and one of my favourite Scottish walks is to ascend Ben Fhadda then head up the ridge to Ben More. The day we did it the weather was great and so were the views. Another great walk not listed is loch Ba to Ben More. Loch Frisa is the largest loch on any of Scotland islands and we walked round it, all 13 miles. We were doing ok until we had to go through a Forrest which had been turned into a quagmire by forestry work. We had to come off the path and walk through the trees, by the time we got back to the car it was dark, luckily we had torches or we would have been in bother. Here’s some of the shots from our walk up Ben Fhadda then up Ben More.

View attachment 130250View attachment 130251View attachment 130252View attachment 130253

You cracked it with the weather when you took those pics Bill, they are really good.

Do you know the story God Is Love on the rock face at Tob pier ?

You cracked it with the weather when you took those pics Bill, they are really good.

Do you know the story God Is Love on the rock face at Tob pier ?

Yes the weather was great, but it was a big day.
Never heard about that Terry, cheers (y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:280)

Tim120, Pudsey Bear, caledonia, peejay, barryd, bdastu, belbri, 2cv, TeamRienza, alcam, Scotia, Charlynch, campervanannie, s4x4c, cornish hymer, Robmac, TJBi, ajb70, Wheelie, ewen, guerdeval, NSY, 1 Cup, Jo001, trevskoda, Borders2, maingate, saxonborg, Heppy, denmar, jacquigem, Biggarmac, RSD7a, V1nny, Alberto, Trundlebus, amcjam, stonedaddy, The Jacks, Wully, number14, fiona68, DTF, AdriaTwin, cooperman, Tonybvi, flying kipper, davep10000, bartman, Steve and Julie, winks, Bigshug, mike w, Benylin, andyjanet, Monkeybrand, colinm, barge1914, kevlakes, Owen M, UFO, Herman, Neatemachine, aross, JVG, tobym, ton27, 1807truckman, Canalsman, sherriff, Moocher, Owlsnest56, Lefty, Glass man, linkshouse, sonic650, janj, davidm, GMJ, Straad, JonnoR, Magsw, Winterskp, Nigel L, RichardHelen262, murthat, hamsterberg27, cold, Jeavsy, MadRssss, EllieM, Tillymint, Fifer, BarryNo1, Happywagon, AllyPally, merl, groyne, davef, mark61, Sharon the Cat, Gadabout2, barrypat, Peisinoe, chrisjanvan, ArDachaidh, MartinCurren, Waldosgarden, Johnnyfavorite, smg, alan1958, glenrik, Pieman662, prioryi, Rumour, MartinFife, Bazza1509, ironman, gilsof31, Deneb, jeanette, douron, fiona b, Ericwalford, Zen, Val54, chas142, teckguy, DaveP, bjh, jonc, Conroy, Reevsie, Tim1953, Jimmyc, runnach, Anne Williams, RichardP, Adriafan, Debs, colin, noah and nelly, Peter51, robertd, roddew, Fazerloz, Sheila Bryant, Patandtubs, Martin P, paulhelenwilko, smackaylvit, Rogerdodge, Budgie, jann, TonyandJo, Muddypuddler, bluelagoon, Hobie, Mikebike, liz, CarlandHels, Thistle, Elfit, Robstopaz, dij260, Peggydog, MikeRS, Beldea, Alun100, Kiikiicamps, Lee, izwozral, sdjksx, Harrytherid, Nickrock, Rolyan57, campingfun, The Scalby Camper, Chrishrock, TimSands, GeordieBoy, helmit, scoobydiver, ChrisInNotts, fab Rab, Whereisdave, skippy, korky, DAVEY, hmssnake, Helzie, Jmick, Andys, fullbob, Ian1968, Hornet49, Kennymac, Rivertowy, Rosso, Admin, Maguika1, SimonM, ozbit, Palette, macberran, lthoel2, Cosmicyoyo, Quiddle, Livotlout, Munroz, royh28, Mossystone, Gerti58, The laird, mariesnowgoose, Mikecoo, wildebus, AndyJL, kensowerby, geoffnmurph, Brotyman, Drover, bobemmo29, glekay, bof, clarkpeacock, DebanGeo, jimmybanks41, ricc, Richard Wasteney, gdf, gettingolder2, Rosehip, Texastom, Faith shields, Del668, Debbie 65, Curly, Tartarus, BigAldo, stroller, Hymer Snobs, Ken Parsons, David Horsfall, mick n jules, Rob H, 5andy, wilsal, Forcesixwindy, MrKenny, slade, Chasn, Bugaboo, Birsay61, Iomramh, Fionadalgleish, rjmurchie, Alf, Musketeer, JQuen24, phillhend, IanJ, trooper2000, Debroos, Polar Bear, Harpurharri, AllanD, Gasdave, CWH, outdoorellen, Buzzard, terrytur, motorwaycafe, Fitzy, Sean, GandS, Jiwawa, RogerO, alca, gazwarrior,
Back