Wild camping on Mull

My nickname as a young lad was Hawkeye after the TV program character.

That takes me back to short trouser days.

This is what Mull looks like. The first two shots are us heading up Bein Fhadda, from there we did the islands Munro Ben More. Third shot Tobermory. Fourth was taken on Iona. And the last one Tobermory lighthouse. On that shot you can see a hill over the water Ben Hiant. We wanted to do this hill so we took the ferry over from Tobermory and did it the following year.
IMG_0067.jpeg
IMG_0066.jpeg
IMG_0056.jpeg
IMG_0085.jpeg
IMG_0121.jpeg

I so wish I could have got up there to see the views for myself, but even when we first started with vans I couldn't have got up there, the worst part is Liz wouldn't do it if I couldn't.

I so wish I could have got up there to see the views for myself, but even when we first started with vans I couldn't have got up there, the worst part is Liz wouldn't do it if I couldn't.
Those were taken 12 years ago Kev. But I am fortunate enough to still be able at almost 70 still able to handle the hills. But I don’t take my fitness for granted, and I know that many are not so fortunate.

The first two shots are Loch Ba on Mull.
The third Fingles cave on Staffa.
And the last two Staffa.
The photos don’t do this island justice, it’s an amazing island to visit once on Mull. I tell everyone who goes to Mull go and see Staffa, you really won’t regret it.

IMG_4779.jpeg
IMG_4776.jpeg
IMG_4732.jpeg
IMG_4713.jpeg
IMG_4716.jpeg

The Access Code is quite clear, There is a RIGHT to wild camp for walkers, cyclists, horse riders, canoeists. ie lightweight camping, away from habitation, etc. "Access rights don't include motor vehicles". Camping in your motorhome may be tolerated, although land owners have the right to prohibit parking on their land.

So, yes, you may be able to camp informally in your motorhome (or caravan) as I and many others have done, but there is no statutory right to do so. It all relies on people being responsible, as all of us on here are. Unfortunately some are not, and I read there is an investigation into someone dumping their toilet waste into a public drain on the NC500, which, if true, brings us all into disrepute.

It’s amazing how many small connections you generate over a lifetime.

With reference to Mull, the boat Hoy Lass which is operated as part of the Turus Mara fleet out of Ulva Ferry, was a crew boat when I was involved in the development of Flotta tank farm in Orkney. That was 1973/4 and she is still going strong having had the original twin Rolls Royce engines replaced by Mitsubishi units (IIRC).

Used to go from St Margaret’s Hope to Flotta every now and again to get a proper feed at the Motherwell Bridge canteen given the chance. It’s true what they say about Irish lads liking their spuds. They used to have their plates piled high. Mind you, it was hard graft at the time.

Cheers

H

It’s amazing how many small connections you generate over a lifetime.

With reference to Mull, the boat Hoy Lass which is operated as part of the Turus Mara fleet out of Ulva Ferry, was a crew boat when I was involved in the development of Flotta tank farm in Orkney. That was 1973/4 and she is still going strong having had the original twin Rolls Royce engines replaced by Mitsubishi units (IIRC).

Used to go from St Margaret’s Hope to Flotta every now and again to get a proper feed at the Motherwell Bridge canteen given the chance. It’s true what they say about Irish lads liking their spuds. They used to have their plates piled high. Mind you, it was hard graft at the time.

Cheers

H

That'll be this one H - lovely boat by the looks of it;

We went to do the Giants Causeway in Ireland, we didn't even get out of the van it was that crowded and folk queueing.

Last edited:
The Access Code is quite clear, There is a RIGHT to wild camp for walkers, cyclists, horse riders, canoeists. ie lightweight camping, away from habitation, etc. "Access rights don't include motor vehicles". Camping in your motorhome may be tolerated, although land owners have the right to prohibit parking on their land.

So, yes, you may be able to camp informally in your motorhome (or caravan) as I and many others have done, but there is no statutory right to do so. It all relies on people being responsible, as all of us on here are. Unfortunately some are not, and I read there is an investigation into someone dumping their toilet waste into a public drain on the NC500, which, if true, brings us all into disrepute.
I would be absolutely flabbergasted if no one ever dumped their toilet waste on the NC 500. But the incidence of such behaviour is greatly exaggerated by some for their own ends, ie. Campsite owners, and local nimbies who have nothing better to do with their time.
Just as I would be astounded if every dog owner picked up their dogs mess, or that those in cars then pitching tents were all well behaved. And they do have the right to pitch a tent within the terms of the act, but not the right to park their cars in passing places, leaving a mess, behaving in an anti social manner, whilst doing so.
Yes the land reform act of Scotland does not give us the right to wild camp in unfenced areas, and it does not apply to Loch Lomond and the Trossachs from April to October.
But the good news is that after years of complaining about such poor behaviour the councils are starting to get their act together and providing new facilities for us, to help prevent such poor behaviour. But I have come across people from Europe who were desperate to empty their cassettes correctly, but had nowhere within miles to do so. Being refused access to campsites (whose owners would then complain about this behaviour) even if they were willing to pay for the use such facilities. Don’t let’s fall for their narrow minded tactics. Yes in the vastness of the NC 500 a few will empty their cassette’s irresponsibly, this will always happen, no matter how many facilities are put into place. So it is true, it’s also true that many others who travel the NC500 do much worse, but this is barely if ever reported. And it’s true that the vast majority never empty their cassettes irresponsibly, and frown upon those who do, don’t let’s forget this.
But my original point stands, there is no requirement to prove that you are staying in campsites when booking a ferry crossing to Mull. Although some on Mull would just love it if we had to.

Last edited:
Looking at the photos we should maybe give Mull another go. A couple of times we were going to go across from Arran but just ended up staying there all summer. :D Looks like there are still a few wild spots on the App but most of them seem to be inland with one or two hidden away on the coast. I would definitely do it from Arran though as part of a trip as its not that far if you get the ferry over to Claonaig.

In January I read an article on MMM clearly stating you cannot wild camp on the island of Mull.
I wrote to complain about the fact this was inaccurate, my letter was published in this months MMM.
This morning I just watched a video on YouTube by an English couple claiming that they have a certificate proving that they have booked campsites for their stay, and without this you won’t be allowed on the ferry, this is utter bollox. The only island were this is mandatory is Tiree.
For anyone who has not been to Mull it’s a wonderful island, but sadly there are some idiots “now” living there. The roads particularly from Salen to Tobermory are challenging. But with common sense and knowledge of how to drive on single track roads there's no problem.
I just went through the whole booking process on the CalMac website with no mention of this.

However there are plenty of campsites on the island for those who prefer to stay on them. Most of these will allow access to their chemical waste for a fee, and how contradictory is that. Obviously respect the island, respect the locals, and enjoy Mull which has much to offer. My favourite campsite is Fidden Farm close to were you get the ferry to Iona in Fionpfort
Iona is well worth a visit. And when in Fionpfort consider a visit to Staffa and Fingles cave you won’t regret one of the wonders of the world. Another great walk is from the island of Ulva to Gomatra. You can park your van where you get the Ulva ferry head back and stay the night if you wish.

Bottom line, you can stay on Mull wild camping, there are many locations miles away from anyone were you will hardly be noticed. But don’t give the nimbys ammunition. These folk live in a country were you can pitch a tent on most land and spend the night their legally. Why they see us with all of our facilities as a nuisance eludes me. I would be more worried about people without such facilities. Enjoy Mull, ignore the NIMBYS.

No need to book ferries🤷‍♂️. Just go the scenic route and avoid Oban. The Lochaline ferry you just turn up and join the queue pay the man and your on the island to do as you please.
Don’t watch that click bait shite on YouTube.
Thank you so much guys. We are heading off tomorrow. Primarily we will be visiting Shieldaig, a scene of many family holidays, to scatter my father's ashes. I've not been back there for many years and at least a couple of husband's ago.🤭

I've been reading this thread and looking at maps, and maybe we will visit Mull. In the hope that the rain stops for long enough that we can appreciate its beauty of course.

Been going to Mull more times than you can shake a stick at. All diving trips, while Fishnish to Tob can be challenging while towing a boat, Tob to Calgary Bay is a mare.

Loch Spelvie, which is a dead end road, is good for a wild camp, and others that allude me right now. Anything over six metre long, do not take the dead end road to Carsaig, where you can take the walk to view Carsaig Arches.

Bill, have you walked over to the auld stone masons cottages near Fidden? These were constructed for the masons hewing the granite rock to construct Skerryvore Lighthouse.

Then of course there are the most photographed beached wrecks just north of Salen, they belonged to an auld pal who is a tad eccentric. He use to own Salen Pier, which he let rot, like the boats, now sold and was used for docking vessels to collect timber.

The other positive for Mull, the third ferry route sails from Kilchoan to Tobermory. The music festival should commence soon.

Only been once on an impromptu road trip in my Honda Prelude in Noughties (pre motorhome). We went hotel hopping. Everywhere was run by English white settlers some of which would give Basil Fawlty a run for his money and some of them were a bit of a rip off. I wasnt surprised to learn they were a bit anti motorhome and there were very few wild spots left which is why we have never been back in the van. Best thing was the drive from Oban to Claonaig and the ferry to Arran. Awesome drive in the Honda. :D I think I did it in an hour.
Sounds like you stopped at the same campsite we stayed with the children back in the 80s. Customer woo was non existent. The owner was a right caution but we had a couple of nights pitched by the septic tank before we escaped

Back