Wild camping on Mull

Sounds like you stopped at the same campsite we stayed with the children back in the 80s. Customer woo was non existent. The owner was a right caution but we had a couple of nights pitched by the septic tank before we escaped

No, we were in hotels. Not cheap thats for sure even 20 years ago which was probably around when it was. Well north of £100 a night in Tobermory and the miserable owner complained when we came back from the Indian around 10:30pm and wanted some drinks! :ROFLMAO:

Well like I said. All the hotel owners and people we came across were Basil Fawlty types and very English. Put us both off going back to be honest.

Barry, the Mishnish Hotel owners are indigenous to Mull, although now sold, still indigenous Mullites

The lads who own Macgochans, Pub, are Mullites, both the above are in Tobermory. I understand your point though, back in the day folks were selling their semi within the Home Counties and buying up in the Highlands and Islands. Duncraig Castle just outside Plockton is another good example of incomers out bidding the indigenous locals.

+1 for Ardlanish Weavers, fantastic spot and no need to pre book.
Also the walks around the new Aire at Tiroran Community Forest is well worth a stop.

We went to Mull last year, camped “wild” on a beach and paid the crofter 5£ for the absolute privilege. Met a couple of other campers including a man who was on a pilgrimage to Iona from Liverpool… on his bike! A wonderful evening spent watching the sheep on the little island, who then swam across in the morning. Absolutely stunning location and can’t wait to go back.
IMG_2018.jpeg

I’m never convinced that those who don’t automatically support our chosen ‘hobby’ are NIMBYs. In fact I think it’s harmful to our cause to suggest they are.

There are many reasons why people might not want vans parked up. Many of those reasons are valid. By trying to understand them and show a little empathy we can look at how best to deal with it. But dismissing them all as NIMBYs means their genuine concerns are just dismissed.

The majority are not NIMBYs the same as the majority of us are not inconsiderate poorly behaved scuffers.

I’m never convinced that those who don’t automatically support our chosen ‘hobby’ are NIMBYs. In fact I think it’s harmful to our cause to suggest they are.

There are many reasons why people might not want vans parked up. Many of those reasons are valid. By trying to understand them and show a little empathy we can look at how best to deal with it. But dismissing them all as NIMBYs means their genuine concerns are just dismissed.

The majority are not NIMBYs the same as the majority of us are not inconsiderate poorly behaved scuffers.
Hmph!!!

I'll have you know some folk put a lot of effort into being inconsiderate poorly behaved scuffers.

Who has dismissed them all as NIMBYS, certainly not myself.
I would fully support locals in Elie for instance who have genuine concerns, and have to put up with 20-30 motorhomes filling up there carpark in the summer months. I could give plenty of other examples.
I believe that vast majority of locals are not really bothered about us, unless we park outside their homes or fill up their local carpark where they like to take their dog for a walk.
And in some cases it has nothing to do with locals, because there are none.
But its common knowledge that certain people on Mull don't welcome us, feel free to check their views on us on FB. Hence why some of us have been hoodwinked into thinking that we require to book a site before going to the Island by them. These people have no empathy whatsoever for us, and showing them empathy will be as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
These are the very people who complained about the costs involved in getting to their Island. And now that these costs have been lowered significantly under the road tariff equivalent scheme, I have no doubt they are now complaining about the numbers of visitors.
Its the same issue in most of the Islands, those trying to run businesses welcome visitors of all types, whilst those who moved there to retire are not so welcoming.
The vast majority of people living on Mull have no issues with us, I know so because I have been there many times.
Feel free to join the land lies weeping Facebook page. Let them know that you have empathy for them, and see what response you will get. On man on here has already done so, I believe they banned him.

Last edited:
It's a bit self-defeating for them, shops need customers and some of us will need the shops, so we go and we spend money in them, (yes we do bring somethings with us)

The people who live there also need the shops, if they go out of business as many do then they will have to go to the mainland.

Population estimated to be 3,000. in 2023, I tried to see how many shops there were but drew a blank, so let us say a dozen shops on the whole island = 250 customers per shop, but it isn't 250 as half of them will be men and we don't do shopping unless pressed, at a guess half of the dozen will be gift shops, we are their customer, maybe one or two co-ops or supermarkets, we are their customer, on top of this there will be cafes, restaurants and pubs, we are their customers too, of course the islanders may use them but I'm betting that those who go to the mainland often will fill up with fuel and go to the supermarkets while there, as do we of course before crossing, so they all need the visitors regardless of how they get there.

It's a bit self-defeating for them, shops need customers and some of us will need the shops, so we go and we spend money in them, (yes we do bring somethings with us)

The people who live there also need the shops, if they go out of business as many do then they will have to go to the mainland.

Population estimated to be 3,000. in 2023, I tried to see how many shops there were but drew a blank, so let us say a dozen shops on the whole island = 250 customers per shop, but it isn't 250 as half of them will be men and we don't do shopping unless pressed, at a guess half of the dozen will be gift shops, we are their customer, maybe one or two co-ops or supermarkets, we are their customer, on top of this there will be cafes, restaurants and pubs, we are their customers too, of course the islanders may use them but I'm betting that those who go to the mainland often will fill up with fuel and go to the supermarkets while there, as do we of course before crossing, so they all need the visitors regardless of how they get there.
You forgot the fantastic hardware store! Probably where all the men are.;)

Kev, my wife and I have spent a small fortune in Arran outdoors in Brodick over the years. In the past 8 years of Motorhoming there it’s between £3-4000 easily. Last year I paid £300 for a goretex jacket.

What has severely affected island businesses is the internet.
Islanders are no longer constrained to buying locally, or having to travel to the mainland for their goods. And the utter shambles in recent years with the ferry issues has further damaged island economies.
But why am I having to justify myself here, when I bought my latest van I signed a contract with my dealer, I don’t think that contract included a clause stating I have to support local economies. But we do, as most on here do.

But of that 3000 inhabitants, I would be amazed if any more than 50 don’t welcome us, but they make more noise than the other 2950 put together.

Kev, my wife and I have spent a small fortune in Arran outdoors in Brodick over the years. In the past 8 years of Motorhoming there it’s between £3-4000 easily. Last year I paid £300 for a goretex jacket.

What has severely affected island businesses is the internet.
Islanders are no longer constrained to buying locally, or having to travel to the mainland for their goods. And the utter shambles in recent years with the ferry issues has further damaged island economies.
But why am I having to justify myself here, when I bought my latest van I signed a contract with my dealer, I don’t think that contract included a clause stating I have to support local economies. But we do, as most on here do.

But of that 3000 inhabitants, I would be amazed if any more than 50 don’t welcome us, but they make more noise than the other 2950 put together.

I ruffled a few feathers the other week on the NC500 whingers group when I suggested that visitors in motorhomes don't owe their local businesses and campsites a living. :ROFLMAO: Its kind of true though. I live in a stunning touristy part of the Dales and I couldnt care less if visitors who come here spend all their money in the local cafes or campsites. They have as much right to drive our roads, look at the scenery and enjoy it as much as I do. However us motorhomers will spend more as we have to if you are there for any length of time. Last trip to Arran I spent £1500. Compare that to a weekender in a car or a day tripper. Mounts up and you have to spend where you are.

Y
I ruffled a few feathers the other week on the NC500 whingers group when I suggested that visitors in motorhomes don't owe their local businesses and campsites a living. :ROFLMAO: It’s kind of true though. I live in a stunning touristy part of the Dales and I couldnt care less if visitors who come here spend all their money in the local cafes or campsites. They have as much right to drive our roads, look at the scenery and enjoy it as much as I do. However us motorhomers will spend more as we have to if you are there for any length of time. Last trip to Arran I spent £1500. Compare that to a weekender in a car or a day tripper. Mounts up and you have to spend where you are.
Several years ago I had a heated discussion with a security guard in St Andrews who tried to move us on from the harbour car park at 9 at night.
We had our grandson with us, and were watching a dvd when the door was rattled. There he was telling me we had to move, can you not read the sign no overnight stays for caravans. I informed him we were in a Motorhome, and he said I was splitting hairs. He then told me I would be fined £100 if I did not move. I asked him were it stated this on the notice board.
Anyway he started to rant on about how we contribute nothing to the local economy. I showed him our tickets for the sea life centre, and I showed him some items my wife had bought from the local hardware store, and then showed him the wrapping from the local fish and chip shop. I then asked him how much do you reckon all of the car owners add to his local economy, or are they exempt from this responsibility. We had a lovely night after this, and I still await my £100 fine. :)

Y

Several years ago I had a heated discussion with a security guard in St Andrews who tried to move us on from the harbour car park at 9 at night.
We had our grandson with us, and were watching a dvd when the door was rattled. There he was telling me we had to move, can you not read the sign no overnight stays for caravans. I informed him we were in a Motorhome, and he said I was splitting hairs. He then told me I would be fined £100 if I did not move. I asked him were it stated this on the notice board.
Anyway he started to rant on about how we contribute nothing to the local economy. I showed him our tickets for the sea life centre, and I showed him some items my wife had bought from the local hardware store, and then showed him the wrapping from the local fish and chip shop. I then asked him how much do you reckon all of the car owners add to his local economy, or are they exempt from this responsibility. We had a lovely night after this, and I still await my £100 fine. :)

I would bet my house he had a Caravan. :ROFLMAO:

Who has dismissed them all as NIMBYS, certainly not myself.
I would fully support locals in Elie for instance who have genuine concerns, and have to put up with 20-30 motorhomes filling up there carpark in the summer months. I could give plenty of other examples.
I believe that vast majority of locals are not really bothered about us, unless we park outside their homes or fill up their local carpark where they like to take their dog for a walk.
And in some cases it has nothing to do with locals, because there are none.
But its common knowledge that certain people on Mull don't welcome us, feel free to check their views on us on FB. Hence why some of us have been hoodwinked into thinking that we require to book a site before going to the Island by them. These people have no empathy whatsoever for us, and showing them empathy will be as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
These are the very people who complained about the costs involved in getting to their Island. And now that these costs have been lowered significantly under the road tariff equivalent scheme, I have no doubt they are now complaining about the numbers of visitors.
Its the same issue in most of the Islands, those trying to run businesses welcome visitors of all types, whilst those who moved there to retire are not so welcoming.
The vast majority of people living on Mull have no issues with us, I know so because I have been there many times.
Feel free to join the land lies weeping Facebook page. Let them know that you have empathy for them, and see what response you will get. On man on here has already done so, I believe they banned him.
Not everything is directed at you. Feel free to read my post again to get my main point.👍

Not everything is directed at you. Feel free to read my post again to get my main point.👍
I just did, and it still reads the same.
And as I was the only person to have used the word nimby in this thread I reckon it was meant for me. But unlike you, I replied to your comment instead of simply posting. That way you know my post is directed where it is intended.
But in reply to the post you just removed, not the amended version above :) were you reckon you never stated anyone stated they should not all be treated as nimbys. Confusing isn’t it :)
Just to reaffirm, neither myself or anyone else reckoned all those who complain about us should be dismissed as nimbys.

I really like is the way you changed your original post, realising your error, and thinking I never read it. :)

So let’s just ignore the bold face then, you know the bit you reckon I never read properly :)

Your post reads

Last edited:
Been going to Mull more times than you can shake a stick at. All diving trips, while Fishnish to Tob can be challenging while towing a boat, Tob to Calgary Bay is a mare.

Loch Spelvie, which is a dead end road, is good for a wild camp, and others that allude me right now. Anything over six metre long, do not take the dead end road to Carsaig, where you can take the walk to view Carsaig Arches.

Bill, have you walked over to the auld stone masons cottages near Fidden? These were constructed for the masons hewing the granite rock to construct Skerryvore Lighthouse.

Then of course there are the most photographed beached wrecks just north of Salen, they belonged to an auld pal who is a tad eccentric. He use to own Salen Pier, which he let rot, like the boats, now sold and was used for docking vessels to collect timber.

The other positive for Mull, the third ferry route sails from Kilchoan to Tobermory. The music festival should commence soon.
Apologies Terry missed your post.
I never knew that about the cottages, or some of your other points Terry.
Next time I look at the cottages I will remember that, cheers Terry.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:280)

Tim120, Pudsey Bear, caledonia, peejay, barryd, bdastu, belbri, 2cv, TeamRienza, alcam, Scotia, Charlynch, campervanannie, s4x4c, cornish hymer, Robmac, TJBi, ajb70, Wheelie, ewen, guerdeval, NSY, 1 Cup, Jo001, trevskoda, Borders2, maingate, saxonborg, Heppy, denmar, jacquigem, Biggarmac, RSD7a, V1nny, Alberto, Trundlebus, amcjam, stonedaddy, The Jacks, Wully, number14, fiona68, DTF, AdriaTwin, cooperman, Tonybvi, flying kipper, davep10000, bartman, Steve and Julie, winks, Bigshug, mike w, Benylin, andyjanet, Monkeybrand, colinm, barge1914, kevlakes, Owen M, UFO, Herman, Neatemachine, aross, JVG, tobym, ton27, 1807truckman, Canalsman, sherriff, Moocher, Owlsnest56, Lefty, Glass man, linkshouse, sonic650, janj, davidm, GMJ, Straad, JonnoR, Magsw, Winterskp, Nigel L, RichardHelen262, murthat, hamsterberg27, cold, Jeavsy, MadRssss, EllieM, Tillymint, Fifer, BarryNo1, Happywagon, AllyPally, merl, groyne, davef, mark61, Sharon the Cat, Gadabout2, barrypat, Peisinoe, chrisjanvan, ArDachaidh, MartinCurren, Waldosgarden, Johnnyfavorite, smg, alan1958, glenrik, Pieman662, prioryi, Rumour, MartinFife, Bazza1509, ironman, gilsof31, Deneb, jeanette, douron, fiona b, Ericwalford, Zen, Val54, chas142, teckguy, DaveP, bjh, jonc, Conroy, Reevsie, Tim1953, Jimmyc, runnach, Anne Williams, RichardP, Adriafan, Debs, colin, noah and nelly, Peter51, robertd, roddew, Fazerloz, Sheila Bryant, Patandtubs, Martin P, paulhelenwilko, smackaylvit, Rogerdodge, Budgie, jann, TonyandJo, Muddypuddler, bluelagoon, Hobie, Mikebike, liz, CarlandHels, Thistle, Elfit, Robstopaz, dij260, Peggydog, MikeRS, Beldea, Alun100, Kiikiicamps, Lee, izwozral, sdjksx, Harrytherid, Nickrock, Rolyan57, campingfun, The Scalby Camper, Chrishrock, TimSands, GeordieBoy, helmit, scoobydiver, ChrisInNotts, fab Rab, Whereisdave, skippy, korky, DAVEY, hmssnake, Helzie, Jmick, Andys, fullbob, Ian1968, Hornet49, Kennymac, Rivertowy, Rosso, Admin, Maguika1, SimonM, ozbit, Palette, macberran, lthoel2, Cosmicyoyo, Quiddle, Livotlout, Munroz, royh28, Mossystone, Gerti58, The laird, mariesnowgoose, Mikecoo, wildebus, AndyJL, kensowerby, geoffnmurph, Brotyman, Drover, bobemmo29, glekay, bof, clarkpeacock, DebanGeo, jimmybanks41, ricc, Richard Wasteney, gdf, gettingolder2, Rosehip, Texastom, Faith shields, Del668, Debbie 65, Curly, Tartarus, BigAldo, stroller, Hymer Snobs, Ken Parsons, David Horsfall, mick n jules, Rob H, 5andy, wilsal, Forcesixwindy, MrKenny, slade, Chasn, Bugaboo, Birsay61, Iomramh, Fionadalgleish, rjmurchie, Alf, Musketeer, JQuen24, phillhend, IanJ, trooper2000, Debroos, Polar Bear, Harpurharri, AllanD, Gasdave, CWH, outdoorellen, Buzzard, terrytur, motorwaycafe, Fitzy, Sean, GandS, Jiwawa, RogerO, alca, gazwarrior,
Back