Wild camping on Mull

For all of you who head for Mull, as I have already said (many times :p )
Do yourself a favour go and visit Staffa, honest it’s breathtaking.
From Fionnphort on return they will drop you off on Iona if you wish. You then have to get a one way ticket back to mull. It’s only a 5-6 minute crossing and last time I did it it was only £2.50 single.

For all of you who head for Mull, as I have already said (many times :p )
Do yourself a favour go and visit Staffa, honest it’s breathtaking.
From Fionnphort on return they will drop you off on Iona if you wish. You then have to get a one way ticket back to mull.

I remember my Mum always had an ornamental Iona Cross on the mantelpiece - I really should have claimed it when my parents passed away. :cry:

She spoke of visiting Iona when she was a little girl and said that it was a magical place. For that reason I really should visit one day.

I remember my Mum always had an ornamental Iona Cross on the mantelpiece - I really should have claimed it when my parents passed away. :cry:

She spoke of visiting Iona when she was a little girl and said that it was a magical place. For that reason I really should visit one day.
It’s so strange Rob.
The Abbey is out of all proportion to everything else on the island, they have a nine hole golf course and the sheep and cows take care of the grass, a fire station, beautiful beeches, and a cracking wee hill Dun 1 where you get great views over the whole island. John Smith the Labour leader loved Iona and is buried there. Oh and just for you Rob, there’s even a pub, now what more can you ask for in such a small place with less than 50 full time residents.
The last photo is taken from the top of Dun 1, its only a stroll up it at 101 metres, and when you get to thebtop you can look round the whole Island.
IMG_0100.jpeg
IMG_0103.jpeg
IMG_0086.jpeg
IMG_0116.jpeg
IMG_0089.jpeg

Last edited:
Bay at the Back of the Ocean is the place to go while on Iona to view the best SunSets!!

Me and my dive bud Iain met with the lads that lost their lives in the link below, we chatted with them as we were gathering info about the wreck of the SS Cathcartpark that sank within the Torron Rocks area at the foot of Iona Sound. With them being fishermen, they were always our first port of call for wreck info. This was September at the Creel Row pub, Phionphort. A few month on, taken by the sea, a generation lost on a cold dark winter morning. 😢

Me and my dive bud Iain met with the lads that lost their lives in the link below, we chatted with them as we were gathering info about the wreck of the SS Cathcartpark that sank within the Torron Rocks area at the foot of Iona Sound. With them being fishermen, they were always our first port of call for wreck info. This was September at the Creel Row pub, Phionphort. A few month on, taken by the sea, a generation lost on a cold dark winter morning. 😢

Sad tale there Terry, I remember it well.

So sad Terry and they were so young 🥺

What is sadder Jeanette, all fisher lads and not wearing a life preserver 😞 note the lad who survived, he was the only one wearing a survival suit.

Reminds me of another Ali Terry.

Very good natured, lovely man as you know.

Reminds me of another Ali Terry.

Very good natured, lovely man as you know.

Aye Rob, same with Ali, no life preserver worn. You would think those making a living from inshore fishing would take their safety more seriously.

In the same vein, an old school pal of mine who was in charge of safety at Gladhouse reservoir, which has a resident fishing club, he was out on one off the dinghy’s, and I can’t recall all the detail, whether weather picked up? The dinghy went over, my auld mucker Drew went in and drowned, no preserver worn.

Could it be there is peer pressure from the other fishermen to man up and not wear the life-saving gear or that it impeded them from doing their jobs, I don't think the latter as the ones we've seen are little more than braces.

I must admit, I never wear them unless forced to do so. In the 80s when I was in my early 20s I did a sponsored single handed row up the Caledonian Canal including the full length of Loch Ness. I had one on then until I got to Loch Ness. My arse ached so much I figured I was saving my life by taking it off and sitting on it. I figured with no back up vessel if I went over in the middle of the Loch I was buggered anyway. British Waterways officials told me with great glee that if I fell overboard in the loch or got turned over my survival time was probably about seven minutes. :D Never bothered with them on any of my boats. Daft I know but there you go.

I must admit, I never wear them unless forced to do so. In the 80s when I was in my early 20s I did a sponsored single handed row up the Caledonian Canal including the full length of Loch Ness. I had one on then until I got to Loch Ness. My arse ached so much I figured I was saving my life by taking it off and sitting on it. I figured with no back up vessel if I went over in the middle of the Loch I was buggered anyway. British Waterways officials told me with great glee that if I fell overboard in the loch or got turned over my survival time was probably about seven minutes. :D Never bothered with them on any of my boats. Daft I know but there you go.

I don't wear one on the river Barry as I figure I can swim to the bank fairly easily. I do keep one within reach at Sea though and would put it on in any sort of storm.

I don't wear one on the river Barry as I figure I can swim to the bank fairly easily. I do keep one within reach at Sea though and would put it on in any sort of storm.

I probably should wear one in the Kayak but they get in the way a bit with me being a bit porky. :D

I never go far from the shore anyway even at sea. That said, getting back into the Kayak if you fall out is extremely difficult. I did an instructional life saving video for that once you know!! Oh yes!

No good if you get knocked out go over the side on any boat anywhere Rob.

But Barry comment about survival time is relevant.

In January I read an article on MMM clearly stating you cannot wild camp on the island of Mull.
I wrote to complain about the fact this was inaccurate, my letter was published in this months MMM.
This morning I just watched a video on YouTube by an English couple claiming that they have a certificate proving that they have booked campsites for their stay, and without this you won’t be allowed on the ferry, this is utter bollox. The only island were this is mandatory is Tiree.
For anyone who has not been to Mull it’s a wonderful island, but sadly there are some idiots “now” living there. The roads particularly from Salen to Tobermory are challenging. But with common sense and knowledge of how to drive on single track roads there's no problem.
I just went through the whole booking process on the CalMac website with no mention of this.

However there are plenty of campsites on the island for those who prefer to stay on them. Most of these will allow access to their chemical waste for a fee, and how contradictory is that. Obviously respect the island, respect the locals, and enjoy Mull which has much to offer. My favourite campsite is Fidden Farm close to were you get the ferry to Iona in Fionpfort
Iona is well worth a visit. And when in Fionpfort consider a visit to Staffa and Fingles cave you won’t regret one of the wonders of the world. Another great walk is from the island of Ulva to Gomatra. You can park your van where you get the Ulva ferry head back and stay the night if you wish.

Bottom line, you can stay on Mull wild camping, there are many locations miles away from anyone were you will hardly be noticed. But don’t give the nimbys ammunition. These folk live in a country were you can pitch a tent on most land and spend the night their legally. Why they see us with all of our facilities as a nuisance eludes me. I would be more worried about people without such facilities. Enjoy Mull, ignore the NIMBYS.
I agree mostly. We have just booked for next month and are really looking forward to a few days on the beautiful island. There are plenty of both campsites, and 'accepted' off grid locations. However, to put in perspective your comments on NIMBYs, a number of irresponsible motorohomers have sullied our reputation on the island. Our good friend has an Aunt who has lived on Mull on her life and he visits reagularly through the year, and reports that the locals have become very resentful of vans/homes hogging the single tracks and blocking access with poor parking. Let's all visit, but maybe for a while, go out of our way to show that we are good neighbours?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:280)

Tim120, Pudsey Bear, caledonia, peejay, barryd, bdastu, belbri, 2cv, TeamRienza, alcam, Scotia, Charlynch, campervanannie, s4x4c, cornish hymer, Robmac, TJBi, ajb70, Wheelie, ewen, guerdeval, NSY, 1 Cup, Jo001, trevskoda, Borders2, maingate, saxonborg, Heppy, denmar, jacquigem, Biggarmac, RSD7a, V1nny, Alberto, Trundlebus, amcjam, stonedaddy, The Jacks, Wully, number14, fiona68, DTF, AdriaTwin, cooperman, Tonybvi, flying kipper, davep10000, bartman, Steve and Julie, winks, Bigshug, mike w, Benylin, andyjanet, Monkeybrand, colinm, barge1914, kevlakes, Owen M, UFO, Herman, Neatemachine, aross, JVG, tobym, ton27, 1807truckman, Canalsman, sherriff, Moocher, Owlsnest56, Lefty, Glass man, linkshouse, sonic650, janj, davidm, GMJ, Straad, JonnoR, Magsw, Winterskp, Nigel L, RichardHelen262, murthat, hamsterberg27, cold, Jeavsy, MadRssss, EllieM, Tillymint, Fifer, BarryNo1, Happywagon, AllyPally, merl, groyne, davef, mark61, Sharon the Cat, Gadabout2, barrypat, Peisinoe, chrisjanvan, ArDachaidh, MartinCurren, Waldosgarden, Johnnyfavorite, smg, alan1958, glenrik, Pieman662, prioryi, Rumour, MartinFife, Bazza1509, ironman, gilsof31, Deneb, jeanette, douron, fiona b, Ericwalford, Zen, Val54, chas142, teckguy, DaveP, bjh, jonc, Conroy, Reevsie, Tim1953, Jimmyc, runnach, Anne Williams, RichardP, Adriafan, Debs, colin, noah and nelly, Peter51, robertd, roddew, Fazerloz, Sheila Bryant, Patandtubs, Martin P, paulhelenwilko, smackaylvit, Rogerdodge, Budgie, jann, TonyandJo, Muddypuddler, bluelagoon, Hobie, Mikebike, liz, CarlandHels, Thistle, Elfit, Robstopaz, dij260, Peggydog, MikeRS, Beldea, Alun100, Kiikiicamps, Lee, izwozral, sdjksx, Harrytherid, Nickrock, Rolyan57, campingfun, The Scalby Camper, Chrishrock, TimSands, GeordieBoy, helmit, scoobydiver, ChrisInNotts, fab Rab, Whereisdave, skippy, korky, DAVEY, hmssnake, Helzie, Jmick, Andys, fullbob, Ian1968, Hornet49, Kennymac, Rivertowy, Rosso, Admin, Maguika1, SimonM, ozbit, Palette, macberran, lthoel2, Cosmicyoyo, Quiddle, Livotlout, Munroz, royh28, Mossystone, Gerti58, The laird, mariesnowgoose, Mikecoo, wildebus, AndyJL, kensowerby, geoffnmurph, Brotyman, Drover, bobemmo29, glekay, bof, clarkpeacock, DebanGeo, jimmybanks41, ricc, Richard Wasteney, gdf, gettingolder2, Rosehip, Texastom, Faith shields, Del668, Debbie 65, Curly, Tartarus, BigAldo, stroller, Hymer Snobs, Ken Parsons, David Horsfall, mick n jules, Rob H, 5andy, wilsal, Forcesixwindy, MrKenny, slade, Chasn, Bugaboo, Birsay61, Iomramh, Fionadalgleish, rjmurchie, Alf, Musketeer, JQuen24, phillhend, IanJ, trooper2000, Debroos, Polar Bear, Harpurharri, AllanD, Gasdave, CWH, outdoorellen, Buzzard, terrytur, motorwaycafe, Fitzy, Sean, GandS, Jiwawa, RogerO, alca, gazwarrior,
Back