wild camping....and police interest.

Agree with what you say about Lofty Wiseman by the way, hero of mine as well.

Snails are lovely and used to see the Spanish out collecting them after rain !
I might try some english garden ones sometime I think ?

Been there and done that, I just cooked them in salted water and ate them with an Australian friend, it horrified my fellow housemates which cracked me up.

I tried 'jellied eels' a couple of years back at a race course with a pint...so many bones that it was almost not worth the bother, I then went and got a pastie to 'fill me up' before more beer to drown my sorrows at not winning on the horses!

Eels are superb just fried.

Salmon par are delicious. Shhhhhh Who said that!

As a lad I used to catch sand dabs as they came up stream. (like small plaice)

I ate sea urchins as a child in Portugal, though I cannot remember how they were prepared and I will occasionaly buy octopus and cook it with boiled potatoes and onion with lots of olive oil drizzled over it all. However one of my early memories is of an uncle arriving with duck heads, he proceeded to cook them in some sort of stew and then sucked the brains from them...I am still disgusted/horrified by the thought

Eels are superb just fried.

Salmon par are delicious. Shhhhhh Who said that!

As a lad I used to catch sand dabs as they came up stream. (like small plaice)

Mmmm dabs ...beautiful...so sweet..offered to catch and cook for casa MIA since e eryone had buffered off from the ragley meet.....well Tbh they are from Scarborough...fantastic dab to be caught there

Agree with what you say about Lofty Wiseman by the way, hero of mine as well.

Yes , proper character, that I think is so respectful in how he dispatches his catch..

I have it from a pretty good source he was one
of the regmt involved in the battle of mirbat...
I have no way of veryfying but unbelievable story ....
Google check it out ....fascinating story
Channa

I think this is the most interesting thread since I started lurking on here. Maybe there should be a wild food section, there seems to be a lot of interest.
I've eaten pigeon and rabbit, love pigeon. I fish but don't shoot, not got a problem with it though as long as the prey is eaten and not wasted. Has anyone tried zander ? I remember when they first came into the country and were the spawn of the devil, the continentals love them. Used to eat a lot of perch when I was younger, still think they are the best tasting fish.
Oh and we're not supposed to take eels anymore. They have suffered an infection and numbers are way down.

Yup, Perch are fantastic (a little bony). And yes you are right Eels are in a bad state of decline.

I think this is the most interesting thread since I started lurking on here. Maybe there should be a wild food section, there seems to be a lot of interest.
I've eaten pigeon and rabbit, love pigeon. I fish but don't shoot, not got a problem with it though as long as the prey is eaten and not wasted. Has anyone tried zander ? I remember when they first came into the country and were the spawn of the devil, the continentals love them. Used to eat a lot of perch when I was younger, still think they are the best tasting fish.
Oh and we're not supposed to take eels anymore. They have suffered an infection and numbers are way down.

Zander for those that are wondering are a predatory fish introduced from holland.......they are found exclusively onthe norfolk broads...so highly unlikely found the pot
Channa

Zander are also found in larger numbers in the Fenland Drains, The Great Ouse and the Warwickshire Avon, I think they have spread almost nationwide now.

I have not tried it myself, but know a few people who have and they say it is lovely.

Zander are also found in larger numbers in the Fenland Drains, The Great Ouse and the Warwickshire Avon, I think they have spread almost nationwide now.

I have not tried it myself, but know a few people who have and they say it is lovely.

Possibly cross posted but we are on the same lines...the problem apparently with zander hair is it has or is capable of destroying the current balance.....on these lines . The char exclusive to the lakes is under threat, a reason vocalised by the ea ...is the introduction of live baits not indigenous to the area..

I don't know enough to make a meaningf ul comment but it is scary ...New species can upset a balance
Channa

i have eaten practically everything the english countryside has to offer but drew the line at rat,although the S A S apparently do eat them, rats really are verminous though, especially in the transmission off disease and plague,i once remember having a bet on a tip when i used to take my dogs ratting on there,was a fella who said to me any rat your dog catches i will eat,and within 5 mins of my dogs catching their first rat a scabrous,manky specimen with a flaking tail to match,i offered it up to my new found friend Billy guardian of the the tip,needless to say i won the bet,but we had a fantastic friendship and went on to hunt and catch more edible quarry.Billy met his death some years later i was to learn through a newspaper,his dog got loose and ran over a railway track whereupon he followed to try and save his dog and was subsequently killed by an oncoming train,RIP fella,
Solarman

Agree, what with Zander, Otter reintroduction and Cormorants turning their attentions inland, there is a lot of pressure on coarse fish at the moment, it is a very delicate balance indeed!

I noticed you are a newcomer, thank you for your kind words.

Someone did I think start a thread in this vein of what is out there ready for the table..

I am actually amazed at the interest in response to what was actually a post in respect of the bibs showing an interest.

I hope you enjoy your time here, and perhaps eventually
Opt to be a full member.....I could mention. Canalsmens 4300 database of overnight stopping places...but that wouldn't right......teasing.

Serious note thanks for the interest and I hope you enjoy the site lots to enjoy
Channa

Although the zander spread very quickly around the country, I think things evened themselves out and they are accepted as one of our own now. The signal crayfish is much more of a problem (albeit a very tasty one) coupled as you say with the cormorants. As much as I like the idea of otters, why they introduced them when there's nothing for them to eat is beyond me. They seem to be doing rather well on the commercial carp fisheries though.

There are also Eastern Europeans who do not mind eating specimen Carp (not to mention Swans!).

I noticed you are a newcomer, thank you for your kind words.

Someone did I think start a thread in this vein of what is out there ready for the table..

I am actually amazed at the interest in response to what was actually a post in respect of the bibs showing an interest.

I hope you enjoy your time here, and perhaps eventually
Opt to be a full member.....I could mention. Canalsmens 4300 database of overnight stopping places...but that wouldn't right......teasing.

Serious note thanks for the interest and I hope you enjoy the site lots to enjoy
Channa

Thanks Channa, I don't want to take this off topic but I may start doing what you do for a short time at least. If it ever stops raining and I can start my stealth conversion:ninja:

Thats correct but a good stand in is now signal crayfish. They abound in our rivers now and the river authorities will encourage anyone to take them. In my opinion they are better than the native species.

I draw the line at insect, although I know in a survival situation they are very nutritional. Somehow though I hope I will never have to fall back on this in England,Scotland and Wales. (I never go abroad).

I cannot understand how Bear Grylls seems to relish eating awful things, watch Ray Mears, he's more a smoked Salmon man!

You would understand if you saw his pay cheque at the end of the month:lol-053:

Ants are not very nutricious. but their eggs and lavi are. as are all maggots etc.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back