wild camping....and police interest.

Holmpton, I know the beach .....good codling venue in winter......ever see a bloke with German pointer...me and Leon...

Aldborough Holmpton all good venues I found Mappleton most productive last couple of months

I'll keep an eye out for you in future, not sure if it's on the POI list but the bottom of Seaside road often attracts an odd MH, again if local police ask, it's always regular to night fishermen!

Thats correct but a good stand in is now signal crayfish. They abound in our rivers now and the river authorities will encourage anyone to take them. In my opinion they are better than the native species.

You do however need a license to trap them!

Two years ago I tickled a trout and while it was enjoying its tickle I lobbed it straight over my head onto the bank and spent 5 minutes trying to catch it. I always thought this was fantasy and a thing for books, didn't realise you could do it for real. Made it into steaks as it was too big for the pan, it tasted fantastic.

I think this is the most interesting thread since I started lurking on here. Maybe there should be a wild food section, there seems to be a lot of interest.

There is a forum dedicated to this called Bushcraft Living and they're planning their 10th anniversary gathering. Maybe we should join up with their meeting and make it a joint wildcamping and bushcraft living event. That would be wild. LOL :idea: :)

Bushcraftliving.com Discussion Forum - Search Results

WILDERNESS GATHERING 16th - 19th August 2012

There is a forum dedicated to this called Bushcraft Living and they're planning their 10th anniversary gathering. Maybe we should join up with their meeting and make it a joint wildcamping and bushcraft living event. That would be wild. LOL :idea: :)

Bushcraftliving.com Discussion Forum - Search Results

Here is the date if anyone interested in joining. The 10th Anniversary Wilderness Gathering, the Original Bushcraft Show.

Wild shooting

Hi Channa

I shoot my self and most farmers with permission will only be too happy for you to shoot pigeon and rabbit on their fields to keep them off the crops, but they might object to shooting the pheasants. I think your way with a .22 is quite difficult as you need to be at close range for a kill, but silent. I use 410 and 12g but you end up spitting out the lead when eating.:tongue::tongue:

Good luck Snowbirds.

Yes the trespass point is a very valid one in fact loaded or not you could be charged with armed trespass.

Channa

Hi Channa

I shoot my self and most farmers with permission will only be too happy for you to shoot pigeon and rabbit on their fields to keep them off the crops, but they might object to shooting the pheasants. I think your way with a .22 is quite difficult as you need to be at close range for a kill, but silent. I use 410 and 12g but you end up spitting out the lead when eating.:tongue::tongue:

Good luck Snowbirds.

The problem would be a fireArms licence on the basis I full time steel cabinets etc...

Channa

Shootist

Hi Chana,

I quite agree with you and slugs are much cheaper than cartridges, your way is the best way,but the farmers around here don't care how you kill them, you can chuck bricks at them use a catapult,we have a glut in hertfordshire but we still have the mixy on some of the rabbits. I prefer a quick kill like you channa keep up the good work and a full belly.

Regards Snowbirds.

The problem would be a fireArms licence on the basis I full time steel cabinets etc...

Channa

That made an interesting hour's reading...

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who likes to catch what they eat and east what they catch. In 2000 I trained a group of volunteers to live as stone age hunter gatherers and we used every method possible to cook food, including a fire pit, which produced very tender meat. I'm a Firearms and Shotgun certificate holder and have eaten most things which were in season and legal. The problem with this country is that unlike the other countries you can't 'Go bush' and live completly off the land without someone whinging. I've always been interested in primitive hunting techniques, but over here, fishing with spears and hunting rabbits and wildfowl with boomerangs is illegal. Blowguns are effective, but again are illegal here as the law sees them as large calibre air weapons. About 28 years ago I lived on a narrowboat and used a pneumatic air pistol as a hunting tool, which although not strictly legal is effective at close quarters, although at the time I was shooting about 500 rounds a week for practice.

A friend of mine shared an office with John Wiseman at Hereford and said he was weird even by Regiment standards, but I agree with the comments made by others about his book showing the way for later survival experts like Ray Mears. By the way it is possible to carry firearms and shotguns in vehicles if they are secured to the chassis of the vehicle.

My concern (and I have several air rifles & pistols that I use on vermin & targets on my own land) would be about using any of them in "public space" like a common, Cannock Chase (I live nearby), canals or a beach. AFAIK it is actually illegal to use an air gun in any public area, so anyone seeing you could call the Police & there is a real possibilty of an Armed Response Unit being called out to tackle "a sniper".

My main hunting gun is a pre-charged pneumatic with a silencer, hi-power telescopic sight & tripod. If I was in cammo, people who don't understand guns could well be very frightened.

Not a good idea near Cannock Chase at the moment...

I'm sure the police would take a lot of interest, as the Pakistani Hockey team and their minders are moving in soon. I'm not convinced they would be too amused at the site of me in full camo with a folding stock semi-auto rifle and laser sight, even though I do have permission within range of their training ground.

Well Channa and fellow friends, you make me feel like a total wuss!:lol-049:

I could no more eat a pigeon, rabbit or squirrel than I could live bugs. Sadly I could not kill them either, much as I enjoy target shooting. I just couldn't do it.

All due respect to those that do though. It is, afterall, exactly as nature intended and how all other animals eat.

maybe I need a sticker, "I'm a wuss and proud of it!" lol

Well Channa and fellow friends, you make me feel like a total wuss!:lol-049:

I could no more eat a pigeon, rabbit or squirrel than I could live bugs. Sadly I could not kill them either, much as I enjoy target shooting. I just couldn't do it.

All due respect to those that do though. It is, afterall, exactly as nature intended and how all other animals eat.

maybe I need a sticker, "I'm a wuss and proud of it!" lol

Not at all, when I shoot I shoot hopefully effectively to neutaralize the quarry in the most humane way possible...and on occasion a lethal shot results in albeit a few seconds the quarry jumping about.

All this then goes back to one of my points...cook and prepare with a degree of reverence..#

Glad the police didnt give you any grief Channa and you didnt have some little jobs worth ....after all what harm are you doing just living life in your own merry way. Oh and by the way most impressed with your culinary skills, my dad made a pigeon pie once and it was really lovely, but I was not so keen on the preparation bit though as I am a bit sqeamish. :scared:

We've seen police cars several times, only had a knock on the door twice.

One occasion was a week before Christmas, we were parked in a forest car park.They said there had been some thefts of trees, when they saw we hadn't got a van full of Christmas trees they said we wouldn't be disturbed again.

The others just asked how long we were stopping, they said they would tell the night shift not to disturb us.

Well, first time in 4 years I had a visit from the police tonight....two patrol cars in the end.

Most of you know I full time, and what you don't know is I live off the land as much as I can ...I will shoot pigeon, duck squirrel rook all for food.

Anyway tonight I shot a pigeon, made the mistake of plucking it where a casual passer by witnessed , next thing police understanably turn up to find our what's going off.

I admitted straight away I had shot a bird, it was there pan fried with mushroom in a touch of sherry ..when pc knocks at the door.

He asked were the gun was, I showed him stored away in the overhead discharged and not on view.. he seemed happy.

Straight away, he assumed or knew I was full timing. But naturally did the checks to find out I wasn't wanted.

In the meantime his mates were admiring my butchery skills and having a good look around the van.

On his return I stressed that I only shoot to eat, observe safe practice..look behind what I am shooting and as he could see I was cooking the quarry with reverance to the fact the bird had forsake its life to feed me (I actually think that is really important).

Anyway happy with explanations... He and sargeant looked absolutely bewildered when I suggested I was parkedlegitamarely....they really didn't give a hoot

In the end told me to take care they weren't going to advise as it was apparent I was sensible
Keys were out the ignition and I had a drink but didn't even register

Hopefully one off experience and next time the outcome could be different, but on this occasion at least it is proved the police are not interested if you are sensible
Channa
Commonsense prevails, all is not lost yet

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back