wild camping....and police interest.

The pigeon tonight was gorgeous and I derived satisfaction knowing that from branch to table were my efforts.
I totally agree about waste , and how consumers are sucked in to buying far more than they need.

Setting up a rifle is easy...you shoot at a target 30 yards away using a rest...fire three shots and work out the grouping.....then adjust.

I tend limit a target at 25 yards...to be sure of a lethal hit.

Also a case of learning what part to aim at.

I really do buy into the sacrifice to feed you idea....I think it makes you a better cook too......you think more .

I am really looking forward to the blackberry season
Pies and crumbles.

But the same applies just take what you need.

I never mentioned it , but in the mackerel thread , no one mentions that a six hook trace is impractical.

Mackerel are a true shoal fish and it is certainly not uncommon to pull three out at a time....what's the point in six? ..a bigger to land and possibly more fish than is required..
If with most things we only take what we need sustainability doesn't ever become an issue
Channa

What I didn't mention is mackerel traces are sold with six hooks

Can I ask a silly question

just to add. the cops could care less about someone kipping in their van,its not any kind of problem for them unless they get a complaint.obviously they're mildly interested and may do a vehicle check.when i see them doing a drive by i find it reassuring not in any way threatening.i've had more coppers stop for a cup of tea and a look in the van than i have moving me on,and that was usually because i parked in areas i didn't realise were sensitive,like the spanish and portugese coast opposite morocco,how dumb is that?or parked up not knowing theres a nick just round the corner!now when the cops on rare occasions do ask me to move[other countries you're told not asked] i say ok mate wheres a good place not too far?

Hi,
Can I ask a silly question? why is it sensative to park on the Spanish/Portugese coast opposite Morocco?
Sorry for sounding "thick"

Sue

Hi,
Can I ask a silly question? why is it sensative to park on the Spanish/Portugese coast opposite Morocco?
Sorry for sounding "thick"

Sue

fast boats called cigarette boats pop over full of drugs.nothing thick about not knowing something

One small point about waste, though I fully accept the sense of what you're saying, is that most times we've been to the rookery, more than half a dozen birds have been killed for not a lot of meat.
Also, even though made into a pie, some of the young folk don't want to eat it, nowadays.

And, while the experts are on the thread, may I ask something about pigeon?
I was told, forty or fifty years ago, that pigeon meat is actually slightly poisonous. In fact, this old guy maintained that, if you were to eat eight of them, you'd likely die. :(

Is this just a load of cobblers, or is there any truth in it, please?

sean rua.

ps
I think he meant eight at one meal.

One small point about waste, though I fully accept the sense of what you're saying, is that most times we've been to the rookery, more than half a dozen birds have been killed for not a lot of meat.
Also, even though made into a pie, some of the young folk don't want to eat it, nowadays.

And, while the experts are on the thread, may I ask something about pigeon?
I was told, forty or fifty years ago, that pigeon meat is actually slightly poisonous. In fact, this old guy maintained that, if you were to eat eight of them, you'd likely die. :(

Is this just a load of cobblers, or is there any truth in it, please?

sean rua.

ps
I think he meant eight at one meal.
You are quite right in respect of rooks, only the breast is used , so if you were feeding a family of four perhaps you would need a few birds.

A lot are culled and nothing happens to the carcass except waste.

If you are feeding a larger group then I personally would fill the meal out with potatoes and bread.

In respect of pigeons, never heard that before.,although it could be true when you consider the over consumption of rabbit.

Of course in France lots of people keep pigeon for the table, so perhaps a myth?

The only logical thing I can think of is a lot of animals can ear things poisonous to us...so there could be a risk associated there
Channa
A

Good Grub

Hi Channa

Thanks an interesting read, keep it up Channa you seem to be a deep thinker, I wish you luck on your travels,
I await the next episode.

Regards Snowbirds.

You are quite right in respect of rooks, only the breast is used , so if you were feeding a family of four perhaps you would need a few birds.

A lot are culled and nothing happens to the carcass except waste.

If you are feeding a larger group then I personally would fill the meal out with potatoes and bread.

In respect of pigeons, never heard that before.,although it could be true when you consider the over consumption of rabbit.

Of course in France lots of people keep pigeon for the table, so perhaps a myth?

The only logical thing I can think of is a lot of animals can ear things poisonous to us...so there could be a risk associated there
Channa
A

Thanks, Channa.

They say most things can be poisonous, if we eat or drink too much of them.
I take this with a pinch of salt ( more like a peck of dirt) myself. For instance, I read in a book that potatoes contain a poison - solanine, I think - but most folk who eat them survive.
Watch the green bits though.:tongue:

All the very best with your venture!
I'm not sure if you're the "flatties" or whether we are, but, for my part, I always got on with the circus people. They're very clean in their ways.
I know some of the lads on some funfairs can be rough enough, but I'm lucky so far. I admire their set-ups.
Very nice gear.

Also, they have great park-up places for the winter.
I'll be at Chester races tomorrow, and I always see the same old circus nearby every year. Their home base is in Wolverhampton.

sean rua.

Thanks, Channa.

They say most things can be poisonous, if we eat or drink too much of them.
I take this with a pinch of salt ( more like a peck of dirt) myself. For instance, I read in a book that potatoes contain a poison - solanine, I think - but most folk who eat them survive.
Watch the green bits though.:tongue:

All the very best with your venture!
I'm not sure if you're the "flatties" or whether we are, but, for my part, I always got on with the circus people. They're very clean in their ways.
I know some of the lads on some funfairs can be rough enough, but I'm lucky so far. I admire their set-ups.
Very nice gear.

Also, they have great park-up places for the winter.
I'll be at Chester races tomorrow, and I always see the same old circus nearby every year. Their home base is in Wolverhampton.

sean rua.
I grew up a flattie for sure ( bricks and mortar dweller for those wondering) ...but I guess I just have that nomadic spirit that feeds on travelling and living the lifestyle I do.

For the moment I am no longer with the fairs like any other business times are tough and a lot of the smalle r
Venues I guess don't require hirings.

A ctually fitting into a pigeon hole identity, is a weird one. The showman don't class me as one of them and flatties see me has a traveller..

The police last night treated me has a traveller, but all parties were respectful...that goes a long way.

A lot of the showmen don't associate with the label traveller because of the negative attitudes in general over the last few years.

I hit prejudice, but the positives far outweigh the negatives

Channa

... Police interest...

Just to let you all know.. I was wild camping :ninja: with the mrs Saturday night at 51.791794,-3.439735 Llwyn Onn Reservoir.

Come 12pm I was awoke by the Mrs loudly whispering in my ear "THE POLICE ARE HERE" so at this point I peered through the curtain to find a Traffic Officer with his unmarked car radioing my reg plate on his radio. I'll be honest and say I crapped :raofl: myself as this was our first time wild camping and I had had a beer. But about 5 mins later he jumped in his car and went on his way!!

No note, no knock on the window, no blue lights!

I think I might had caught me on his good day lol :dance:

Chris

Just to let you all know.. I was wild camping :ninja: with the mrs Saturday night at 51.791794,-3.439735 Llwyn Onn Reservoir.

Come 12pm I was awoke by the Mrs loudly whispering in my ear "THE POLICE ARE HERE" so at this point I peered through the curtain to find a Traffic Officer with his unmarked car radioing my reg plate on his radio. I'll be honest and say I crapped :raofl: myself as this was our first time wild camping and I had had a beer. But about 5 mins later he jumped in his car and went on his way!!

No note, no knock on the window, no blue lights!

I think I might had caught me on his good day lol :dance:

Chris

this is what i was trying to point out on my earlier reply.THE COPS DON'T CARE.if you're legal,they'll check your tax then do a stolen vehicle reg check.if they do knock you up don't worry have a laugh with them offer tea,they're checking you out thats their job.

this is what i was trying to point out on my earlier reply.THE COPS DON'T CARE.if you're legal,they'll check your tax then do a stolen vehicle reg check.if they do knock you up don't worry have a laugh with them offer tea,they're checking you out thats their job.

Totally agree, once it was established I was not a threat etc etc...Burgess check pnc ....etc...had a bit of a light hearted 5 mins with them....in the end , they explained because I was near an airport with a firearm they had to investigate....like anything you get good and bad...on this occasion I got diligent but good ones....far rather deal with south yorkshires finest than the gendarmes or douanes.
Channa

have i missed something here cant belive the police did nothing about you using a gun to shoot a pigeon first of all you can not just stop and shoot anything anywere
as you have to have permision from the land owner be at least 50ft from the centre of the road and pulic foot path and thats for a sub12ftb airgun

cheers Dave

have i missed something here cant belive the police did nothing about you using a gun to shoot a pigeon first of all you can not just stop and shoot anything anywere
as you have to have permision from the land owner be at least 50ft from the centre of the road and pulic foot path and thats for a sub12ftb airgun

cheers Dave

Seams you have missed by a long shot (pardon the pun), This polarised opinion that you have been conditioned too think only come about in the last 20 years to keep minions of the nanny state in check.

The rules and regs that you have stated should and probably would have been imposed if the police had turned up and there was youths or degenerates using a air rifle in an unruly way.

cheers Dave

You are quite right in respect of the legal stance, and technical

ly even sub 12 lb air weapons are treated as firearms.

Land ow,ners permission is slightly contentious in that the land is common..
It could well be I was in breach of a bye law...but on the basis four officers were present including a Sgt I am pretty sure that would have reared its head...it may also be if there is a byelaw the enforcement is civil.

To re iterate it was preparing the pigeon that had aroused their interest no shooting had taken place within the 50 ft.

Open season for pigeon as classed as a pest...maybe why they checked it wasn't a duck.

The gun was covered. Not loaded indeed all the things advocated by basc safe practice

Channa

Totally agree with your Ethos, far too many greedy people about.

We've been checked by police, but no problems.

Was parked up in a deep layby last year and a couple of bike cops came in.

We got chatting about bikes, idiots on the road etc.

Seems one was an ardent tugger and more than happy for us top be there.

Maybe the tea and bacon butties helped!!

Like everything, our police are normal people with a job to do. As long as you're not causing a problem, then they'll leave you alone.

Only got advised to move on once as where we were, was on the direct path from a rowdy pub to a council estate and they were worried that we'd be woken by the drunks!!

Always found that most farmers are accommodating if you approach them regards pest control, especially with a 22 air rifle.

I've been offered the use of 12 bores, 410's and 22 rifles in the past.

Trouble with a 22 rifle, unless you get a head shot, it goes straight through and doesn't kill immediately.

Target practice is essential.

Wind ya neck in!

cheers Dave

Good job you're not a policeman Dave, or typical of a policeman, all our lives would be a bleedin' misery! Channa's actions were potentially cause for concern and validated acceptable by the visiting constabulary I think!

Incidentally the passer by in my opinion wasted good police time, sure they have better things to do.

I have taken all sorts of game/ wildlife in my travels over the years. I could not tell you the dates of open seasons and personally I don't care about them. I only kill what I can eat, I only take eggs from birds which will carry on laying, I also never take all the veg and plant life that is available. always leave some for others or to grow on. nothing more. Also I have never used a firearm. Can't stand the things, saw what they do during my 18 years in the forces and didn't like it.

You are quite right in respect of the legal stance, and technical

ly even sub 12 lb air weapons are treated as firearms.

Land ow,ners permission is slightly contentious in that the land is common..
It could well be I was in breach of a bye law...but on the basis four officers were present including a Sgt I am pretty sure that would have reared its head...it may also be if there is a byelaw the enforcement is civil.

To re iterate it was preparing the pigeon that had aroused their interest no shooting had taken place within the 50 ft.

Open season for pigeon as classed as a pest...maybe why they checked it wasn't a duck.

The gun was covered. Not loaded indeed all the things advocated by basc safe practice

Channa

Duck is very nice mmmmmm.

I agree duck is fantastic, staple diet of the French I think.

Wood pigeon is very underestimated imo.....anyone that hasn't tried I
t visit a game dealer give it a go....really .tasty

I respect the seasons in it keeps all quarry sustainable in the grand scale.

I am personally not a lover of firearms as daft has it may sound....but to me they are a tool to do a job
In respect of .22 airguns passing through a target, the reason I am about to put in 3 hours on a shooting range
Channa

Noo not the ducks!!!!

Since having ducks as pets i haven't been able to eat duck even from a cling covered packet on a supermarket shelf, i have chickens and quail too but funnily have no great problem killing and eating them!

The best game by far is roadkill rabbit, country lanes are full of it certain times of year like now, just do a recce and sling all old roadkill or make a mental note where it is, go back early next morning and fill your fridge! Couldn't bring myself to kill a rabbit the same as a duck but its a tragedy to waste. Saddle of rabbit is my favourite joint of all the animal kingdom. :tongue::tongue:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back