Whole of London to be hit by new Ulez expansion ordered by Sadiq Khan

rob one of the churches i worked at was at spitalfields christ church when we got of the tube first thing in the morning we walked past a couple of pubs by the market filled with porters pints in hand , incidentally the church was designed by Hawksmoor a contemporary of sir Christopher wren

I was transferred to London from the Midlands Barry. Whilst we were house hunting in the South East I was living in Hotels whilst working and going home at weekends. It took me 6 months to find a house :) I was on full expenses and lived like a king, top nosh and booze every night and loved every minute of it.

I stayed with the bank to see through the millennium project (Doomsday!) and took voluntary redundancy on Jan 1st 2000. On Jan 2nd they took me back on as a contractor on ridiculous money. I did that for 3 years and then gave up IT altogether. I was offered a contract by a Swiss bank at £80 per hour in 2003 but turned it down in favour of a driving job at £7.50 an hour, my agent said "are you mad" I said "No, I'm happy!"

Sounds similar but I refused to move properly though as I was indispensable (for a while at least). When they merged with another franchise already based on London in 2001 I knew the game was up though. They offered me a place but I would have to permanently move to London or they would pay me off and I could become a supplier so I set up on my own. Left on the Friday and my first job on the Monday was for one of their centres in Leeds. I can remember it well. My first pay cheque on my own. £250 for half a days work. early July 2001.

The timing was perfect and it turned out to be the best decision I ever made but we seem to be turning the thread into career reminiscing now. :D

I remember the Millennium thing though. I headed up all that for our group, 27 companies I think. Total nightmare and cost an absolute fortune. We just treated that like a big piss up also. Loads of IT bods from various companies meeting all over the place on expenses again. :D

I think that London is a fantastic city with endless attractions but has been ruined to some extent by congestion and environmental taxes meaning that I cant now venture in in any of my vehicles. I spent over 10 years commuting there for work from Glasgow!

Sounds similar but I refused to move properly though as I was indispensable (for a while at least). When they merged with another franchise already based on London in 2001 I knew the game was up though. They offered me a place but I would have to permanently move to London or they would pay me off and I could become a supplier so I set up on my own. Left on the Friday and my first job on the Monday was for one of their centres in Leeds. I can remember it well. My first pay cheque on my own. £250 for half a days work. early July 2001.

The timing was perfect and it turned out to be the best decision I ever made but we seem to be turning the thread into career reminiscing now. :D

I remember the Millennium thing though. I headed up all that for our group, 27 companies I think. Total nightmare and cost an absolute fortune. We just treated that like a big piss up also. Loads of IT bods from various companies meeting all over the place on expenses again. :D
Many folk dont get that here for a fortnights work, about £3 an hr is normal for some, never mind what the law says on min wages.

In the 90's my career took me to Basingstoke and the next move was going to inevitably be into London. Therefore I made the conscious decision to avoid that and took a position in Newcastle upon Tyne instead so moved house to a small village in Northumberland.

Anything to avoid living/working in London!

I think that London is a fantastic city with endless attractions but has been ruined to some extent by congestion and environmental taxes meaning that I cant now venture in in any of my vehicles. I spent over 10 years commuting there for work from Glasgow!
Was there much congestion in the Air Bill ?

Was there much congestion in the Air Bill ?
Plenty then and plenty now.

5611D999-8DD4-4A7D-83E3-1F990FC34CC3.jpeg

No wonder London was such a rough place with you lot partying in town all the time :p :ROFLMAO:

I always felt safe in London on a night in the 90s and 2000s.. It never felt threatening at all to me back then and we wandered around till all hours. Maybe its changed. Manchester and Birmingham always felt more edgy back then. I used to love Glasgow though. Nobody from the London office ever dared go there so they always sent me and it was brilliant.

I've never felt threatened, doesn't mean I've never been threatened though. :ROFLMAO: Doubt London is any different to any other city trouble wise.

Lucky enough to have had good mates living in Glasgow and Liverpool, so been out in both a fair few times, both fantastic places. Even had a great night in Ambleside where the only place to get a drink after hours was the conservative club:ROFLMAO:, must have been very early 80's.

I've never felt threatened, doesn't mean I've never been threatened though. :ROFLMAO: Doubt London is any different to any other city trouble wise.

Lucky enough to have had good mates living in Glasgow and Liverpool, so been out in both a fair few times, both fantastic places. Even had a great night in Ambleside where the only place to get a drink after hours was the conservative club:ROFLMAO:, must have been very early 80's.

I staggered out of a pub in London one night like I was herding turkeys to market. I accidentally bumped into a lad who promptly punched me straight on the jaw.

I got up and slurred at him "Is that the best you've got". He said "No actually" and proceeded to kick the living sh!t out of me. :mad:

I staggered out of a pub in London one night like I was herding turkeys to market. I accidentally bumped into a lad who promptly punched me straight on the jaw.

I got up and slurred at him "Is that the best you've got". He said "No actually" and proceeded to kick the living sh!t out of me. :mad:

I got done over in Edinburgh of all places in the mid 90s. Came down from Inverness on the train, missed the connection to Darlo so booked into a hotel on Princess street. Went out for beer and curry as you do but wandered off towards Leith. Got confronted by three skin heads who seemed more off their tits than I was who demanded I handed over my wallet. First one started getting larey and shoving me about and I remembered my old granddad saying if you get bullied or outnumbered hit the biggest one as hard as you can and the rest will run away. So I shoved him back and lamped him. The other two then beat the £$%^ out of me. :( Apart from one fight at school over a girl thats the only punch up Ive ever been in. Hotel staff called the cops and the said I was lucky I wasnt stabbed. I think they got away with about a fiver in the end.

Some great stories guys, thanks for posting.

We like London for a weekend, and only once in a while. The thought of living/working there sends a shiver down my spine and gives an instant headache!

Same here Steve we love a weekend in London especially at Christmas there’s a buzz in the air go get something nice to eat see a show .We just fly down now the last time we took the car it ended up parked up at the hotel for four days costing £25 a day.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back