What Do you Drive

Hi folks, we have a 1981 vw lt28 2lt petrol 4 berth. We bought it last year and have got the bug. We used to go holidays in static vans but wouldn't now. Going wild camping in a fortnight and can't wait. Two weeks of total freedom.

AutoSleepers Topaz.....in the back garden
van.jpg

``````````ours is a 96 converted iveco 2.7 diesel,being used an ever such a lot this year :D

double decker said:
Hi Campervanman,We have a T4 VW hightop,I would like something a little bigger (if that makes sense)but the wife loves it,just the two of us so its easy to use,its our first Camper and have put 23000 miles on it in 2 years,not all camping trips,I would like to convert the New Sprinter thats about to come out but for now the T4 will have to do,Gerry
Hi DD,
W've got a Ford Rimor build in 1993. Having 6 places, using 4. Just as long as your bus, but a little weither. W've comfort, but my wife doesn't let me taking my coffeemachine with me on a long trip. Just a pitty.
So your wife i s ride if she says you wait and keep this one. It travvels better than a big one. But we have to do it with 4 persons.
I think it's cheaper with that fan going to the mianland than with a big van.

greetings from Holland, Herman

We are in the process of converting an LDV convoy 400 2.5 TD almost finished and quite excited about our first trip !

Started 10 years ago, wilding it in a converted Transit. Then Moved onto a Bedford MJ 4x4 that got me everywhere. Have now chosen LDV 400 3.5t TD. In all that time have never been on a campsite.

DO IT YOUR OWN WAY.

Old rides

Bongo at the mo;)

LDV400TD LWB ex British rail canteen wagon converted

Transit Autosleep conversion:)

sounds good

tinker said:
Started 10 years ago, wilding it in a converted Transit. Then Moved onto a Bedford MJ 4x4 that got me everywhere. Have now chosen LDV 400 3.5t TD. In all that time have never been on a campsite.

DO IT YOUR OWN WAY.

Sounds good, where did you go?:) Got any pics of the MJ?

Hi Sticky, go to http://www.fleetdata.co.uk/rally2002/bedford.html. Sixth row, middle picture. The living part was an ex British Rail T wagon. It was lovely, but had too many NiMBYS, dont want that here, move it on. Miss the old boy, can now get away with parking in a lot of towns, villages etc. Went everywhere you had enough courage to point it. Spent 4 years full-timing all over UK. Scotland, England, Wales. Climbed mountains in Wales. Byways, RUPPs, verges, laybys in England. Lowlands to the West Coast to Inverness in Scotland.

We have a hightop VW LT 28 it is a rough and ready home conversion and the worst paint job you have ever seen, kids laughed in the streets of the highlands, it has silver handpainted lower 1/3 a pink and red above with blue and orange stripe going all the way round, the original dutch sign writing is still visible under silver patches on the red. The interior is all wood with a 6 x 8 bed. It has a 2.4, 6 cylinder deisel and sounds like a tractor. WE LOVE IT.:)

1990 Vw Lt 2.8d

We're tourists who bought this very used, home converted van in Utrecht to use for 4.5 months and consign for resale. After some initial hiccups it seems to be running well , tho it may have 300000 km on the odometer if that had enough digits.. getting 11-12 km per liter, over 30 mpg , tho at the very low speeds that we use as we are rarely on dual carriagway. Short wheelbase makes it easier to turn around to correct naviagation errors which are frequent , at 5m it fits in a normal parking spot,, and usually not surcharged on ferries..

A friend was telling me of a a couple he met whose camper was a tatty looking horse box lorry. Drop the tail gate and behind were patio doors with a palace behind.

Turns out this guy does a lot of wild camping and if anyone sees a horsebox at the side of the road, they don't give it a second look. A nice posh motorhome however.......

I have often fancied building a 'stealth camper' mayself. Think of the advantages, You can camp in where there are 'no sleeping in vehicles' signs, in town centres without drunks banging on the sides at 2am.

Last edited:
Hi all,

we drive a merc 308 lwb home conversion, mostly due to the price of factory built vehicles, but largely due to the quality and workmanship or lack of it in the same said factory conversions....I'm not running down all factory conversions as I've not seen inside many upper end models such as Hymer etc. but the few i've been in would'nt stand up to the constant use we give ours. Thats not saying that all home builds are up to the job either of course!! As usual there are horses for courses, and financial constraints play a huge part in all this.

Best Regards, :)

1990 VW LT 2.8D home made camperization

by the way that well worn, but so far reliable camper is for Sale, at a very attractive price , provided we retain use until the morning of our departure 21 Sep from Schiphol..to home in Canada. It is registered in Netherlands and technically checked til April 2007.. What's a very attractive price.?. try £1700 if done at our convenience, add £100 per day and alternative transport if done at your convenience.

Hi,

we drive a Mitsubishi L200 with Nordstar Demountable. Main reasons for the combination: didn't fancy pulling caravan (rather overtake them), didn't fancy using Motorhome on school run, couldn't fit into VW Trident size van and finally couldn't afford three cars ;)

First saw one in 2001 at Bath & West show, I think it was an Apollo but the built quality wasn't that good. Researched and searched and decided on the Swedish built Nordstar.

The only problem is the limited weight we can carry. I'm not sure what Motorhomes can carry but we are easily running on the limit all the time.

We have a Bedford CF Wadham Stringer series IX Ambulance built in 1978 for a chemical works for the sum of £8,000 (a lot in those days and to have the same vehicle built today would probably be 10 times and more than this amount)... She remained in service there until early last year when I bought her from Ebay, from someone who had bought her to sell from her original place of service.

We have all the history form the day the management committee agreed to approve the credit needed to pay for her. She came to us fully kited out as an ambulance with the stretchers etc... and had been serviced every 6 months because of being in service. So she came to us in pristine condition for a bargain of £1300

She is such a beauty and very reliable... we are in the middle of converting her at the mo... pine paneling her throughout and putting lots of wooden cupboards and storage etc in.

She is my 4th live in vehicle since 1988 ...and my third ambulance ...and my second Bedford CF .... I have a thing for ambulances hehehe must be something to do with the fact I was part of the New Age Traveller movement and free festies in the 1980's and 90's :0) I have travelled the length and breadth of this country in live-in vehicles since 1988, and mainly wild camped because it so much nicer than campsites but have always respected the places I have stayed, and not left anything behind in relation to rubbish etc on my travels :0)

Anyway, there is a photos of her in the photo gallery bit :0)

Love and light
Xxxx Stormy xxxX

Tools...

Stormy said:
We have a Bedford CF Wadham Stringer series IX Ambulance built in 1978 for a chemical works for the sum of £8,000 (a lot in those days and to have the same vehicle built today would probably be 10 times and more than this amount)... She remained in service there until early last year when I bought her from Ebay, from someone who had bought her to sell from her original place of service.

We have all the history form the day the management committee agreed to approve the credit needed to pay for her. She came to us fully kited out as an ambulance with the stretchers etc... and had been serviced every 6 months because of being in service. So she came to us in pristine condition for a bargain of £1300

She is such a beauty and very reliable... we are in the middle of converting her at the mo... pine paneling her throughout and putting lots of wooden cupboards and storage etc in.

She is my 4th live in vehicle since 1988 ...and my third ambulance ...and my second Bedford CF .... I have a thing for ambulances hehehe must be something to do with the fact I was part of the New Age Traveller movement and free festies in the 1980's and 90's :0) I have travelled the length and breadth of this country in live-in vehicles since 1988, and mainly wild camped because it so much nicer than campsites but have always respected the places I have stayed, and not left anything behind in relation to rubbish etc on my travels :0)

Anyway, there is a photos of her in the photo gallery bit :0)

Love and light
Xxxx Stormy xxxX
I had a snigger when I saw the tools used to strip the interior... Hammer, screwdriver and a can of WD40! ... What else could you possibly need ;¬)

Well we hid the chain saw, the demolishion ball and the child labour <grin> :D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back