Weird meals

I don't think that it makes any difference what you eat after a days long travel, it's always great. My wife asked me what I fancied out of the fridge, I had a choice between the light or ice cube's. She can make jack shxt out of jack shxt, and I still eat it, enjoying it is another matter.

Ha ha ha I know the feeling ;-)

I think my favourite is mucky fat, pork fat with the meat juices at the bottom then allowed to congeal before using, spread on doorstops of bread. Must be dusted with salt. I could eat that everyday. Dad swears by tripe. There used to be a shop at the local market, Channa will remember it, long since gone. Round here we can still buy it in Morrison's. Not my choice but dad swears it keeps him going.

I would imagine that Kedgeree came about the same way Andy?

One of my favourite breakfasts.

it is a very old dish Rob and widely believed to have been brought back from soldiers serving in India, Although the version we cook is somewhat different to the Indian versions, I say versions because a simple biryani will vary dependent on the part of India, Two reasons mainly what local foods are available the size of the place and religious beliefs.

A lot of countries have a "left overs or whatever there is dish" Paella , Risottos Suri Gorengs Biryanis etc.

Vindaloo not a left over dish , is not Indian at all but Portuguese. originates in Goa with the Portuguese military. They shipped pork in vats of wine Vinegar "Vin" and added heads of garlic "aloo" not potato as commonly believed aloo being the Indian word for potato the red herring....mixed with a base gravy that the local Indians used vindaloo was born. Cooked properly it is not that hot despite its reputation more for the western palette.

Interesting reading some of the foods mentioned by others, my granddads were both colliers and one always had 2 raw eggs whisked in a glass of milk before his shift. cheap way of protein. people mentioning sugar sandwiches in the mines, sugar gives a quick energy burst all interesting stuff.

Channa

I think my favourite is mucky fat, pork fat with the meat juices at the bottom then allowed to congeal before using, spread on doorstops of bread. Must be dusted with salt. I could eat that everyday. Dad swears by tripe. There used to be a shop at the local market, Channa will remember it, long since gone. Round here we can still buy it in Morrison's. Not my choice but dad swears it keeps him going.
Are you referring to the Red Lion pub ? one of my tenancies. apparently at the front there was a tripe shop very popular in its day. Heckmondwike Morrisons have some old pictures in the store, one a carnival 1911 in the market place the stall can be clearly seen.

I originate from Doncaster and I can't recall dripping being called mucky fat. I love it myself as described, old landlords trick lots of salt the buggers drank more.
still a little market stall in Hecky market that sells it on a Saturday

Channa

She also used to pressure cook all our kitchen waste to which she would add oatmeal, minced thrapple then that was her chicken food supplement. The poor bloody birds loved it, and laid eggs constantly.
Now i'm showing my age ! After the war when money was tight most people had chickens round the back.We always had a dozen cock birds as well as hens which were for laying.We'd beg from the cake shops and come home with sackfuls.The bread would go into the oven to crisp up and then into the mincer.
Our dad would keep all the veg leftovers including "tiddy skins" boil them up mix them with minced toasted bread.
Come christmas we'd have the biggest birds you'd ever seen .My job was plucking and drawing them.I would weigh them some as heavy as 10 lbs.

Now i'm showing my age ! After the war when money was tight most people had chickens round the back.We always had a dozen cock birds as well as hens which were for laying.We'd beg from the cake shops and come home with sackfuls.The bread would go into the oven to crisp up and then into the mincer.
Our dad would keep all the veg leftovers including "tiddy skins" boil them up mix them with minced toasted bread.
Come christmas we'd have the biggest birds you'd ever seen .My job was plucking and drawing them.I would weigh them some as heavy as 10 lbs.

10lbs - thats SOME chuck !!!

one summer i had a factory job in a chicken factory in greater manchester - it involved taking a chuck off the conveyor belt, shoving a plastic bag of giblets up its bum, putting the whole thing into a plastic bag, tieing the bag, and back onto a different conveyor belt - i could do 4 a minute at my peak !!!!

happy days - not !!!

A miners piece was cheese and jam. My older brother worked at the butchers after school and used to bring home and cook some weird and wonderful things. He ended up a cook in the merchant navy so his experimenting on me paid off. It's normally cold shoulder and hot tongue for ma tea. :wacko:

I had forgotten about the shop in Hecky, Channa, I was thinking about the one at the corner of the market in Dewsbury, probably both owned by the same family.

10lbs - thats SOME chuck !!!

one summer i had a factory job in a chicken factory in greater manchester - it involved taking a chuck off the conveyor belt, shoving a plastic bag of giblets up its bum, putting the whole thing into a plastic bag, tieing the bag, and back onto a different conveyor belt - i could do 4 a minute at my peak !!!!

happy days - not !!!

When my son was at school, he wanted part time work. He got a job which involved him washing the thick brown clay like soil off of potatoes, then dirtying them again with black peat so they looked like they had been grown in it.

They were then sent to your favourite supermarket.

The weirdest thing I have ever eaten and had to prepare in a kitchen is probably Salade de Gesiers. Sounds exotic doesn't it ? I love the word gesiers.

Classic French and classic Dordogne, the confit de gesiers really tasty. What are they ? well in a nutshell ( no pun intended for walnuts are part of the salad)

Gesiers are ducks gizzards. A confit for anyone that doesn't know is a method of preserving food, typically duck is slow cooked and then stored in a earthenware jar in duck fat. Because oxygen can't get to it, it preserves the meat.

Upon cooking take the fat off with a kitchen towel and invariably saute in a little duck fat. Now here is the weird thing it is not greasy at all !! served on a bed of lettuce, walnuts are added and a vinigarette that varies.

Salade de perigord is very similar but often has breast of duck with it and topped off with a small toast and foie gras.

I think in the Dordogne they eat more duck than chicken and very little is wasted. The only thing not used is the quack !!

I have attached a recipe very close to what we used to do . Truth be known each establishment varies,

Bon appetite mes amis

Perigord Salad (Salade Périgourdine)

Channa

Worlds best sarny is 50/50 brown white bread with jam on one side & peanut butter the other and sliced cheese in between,yum yum.
As for what you lot eat i knew there was something weired going on over there but i have the proof now.

Last edited:
As an old gaffer of mine used to say "if you cannae put it in a roll son it's no worth eating"

When the water is right, welks and mussels and limpets from most sea lochs boiled in sea water and ate as you like,west Scotland lochs are abundant with wild camping eats.

i hadn't been food shopping for a day or two and got so hungry at lunchtime that i knew i would buy rubbish if i went to the local coop - so i ate what was in the fridge:--

1 salmon fish cake
2 small pickled beetroots
1 slice black pudding
1 poached egg

Very tasty actually

Does anyone else do this ? Do you eat weird combinations of foods ? :tongue:

Not weird, just sounds like a day in the life of big Gregg!:dance::tongue::wave::beer::wacko: Must be a Yorkshire thang!

I think i saw them in a supermarket somewhere this week !!!!!

boiled potatoes fried in bacon fat with an egg on top - yummy - but COLD :scared: ? that IS weird !!

Sounds like a winner hot or cold.... no wonder I'm 26st7:lol-049::scared::tongue:

When the water is right, welks and mussels and limpets from most sea lochs boiled in sea water and ate as you like,west Scotland lochs are abundant with wild camping eats.

We rented a log cabin once on an island on Loch Shuna.

There was a beach right outside the cabin where we could gather Mussels in the morning, and as you say, boil them for breakfast. :tongue:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back