Weird meals

i think his life in a prison camp in the wilds of Siberia in which many of the inmates died, and who had no specific sentence, so they had no hope. It must have been such an appalling way to live that we cannot ever imagine what their thought processes were.

have you found a way to research more of your family tree ?

Yeah, we really don't know everything people suffered in the name of war ... No, when my sister was doing it (she is the academical one) she hit a brick wall as Russia wouldn't give her any information, and in fact were very curious as to why she was asking etc. Probably would be more forthcoming now, but I don't have any interest in pursuing it and she is currently recovering from the big c.

I like the way this thread is going.My mum also introduced us to udder,very cheap and could slice it like ham.
After she died we discovered her dads line were jewish from our great grandad who was of polish/russian descent.
An early 19th century census says russian born in poland.
On her mums side they hailed from amsterdam before that bayonne and valencia.
My dads side pure cornish.
Now where's me pasties.

I like the way this thread is going.My mum also introduced us to udder,very cheap and could slice it like ham.
After she died we discovered her dads line were jewish from our great grandad who was of polish/russian descent.
Now where's me pasties.

caviar filled of course !!

Nothing at all weird about it but for toasted sandwich fans, have you seen these?

Ridgemonkey Sandwich Toaster Standard and XL Available | eBay

I bought one of each and, although I have used my sandwich toaster at home many times to make a breakfast, I haven't used these for it yet ... However they heat ready made and home made sarnies and rolls really well, after a little practice, it's very easy to over do it if you aren't careful.

Did a blinder the other day as we were pretty much out of everything in the van and the nearest shop was about 30 miles away down a predominantly single track road.

Ginger and onion fried up then poured over a little white wine, cooked it off, then....... added a chicken & veg 'big soup', canned corn and peas and a pack of super noodles.....

Bizarrely nice tasting stew-type-thing.

Now where's me pasties.

The mention of udder (though I've never tried it) triggered a memory of my mother coming home from the Glasgow meat markets with bags full of "thrapples" ... otherwise known as windpipes. She used to boil them for the dogs, very little nutrition in them but great for bulk and the dogs loved them, they were mostly gristle. She also used to pressure cook all our kitchen waste to which she would add oatmeal, minced thrapple then that was her chicken food supplement. The poor bloody birds loved it, and laid eggs constantly.

Did a blinder the other day as we were pretty much out of everything in the van and the nearest shop was about 30 miles away down a predominantly single track road.

Ginger and onion fried up then poured over a little white wine, cooked it off, then....... added a chicken & veg 'big soup', canned corn and peas and a pack of super noodles.....

Bizarrely nice tasting stew-type-thing.

Frankly, that sounds bloody tasty, maybe minus the ginger

We were due to do the weekly shop last friday. It was raining and we couldn't be @rsed. Meant to go Saturday, but surprise visitors delayed us. Fridge emptying meal tonight.
A portion of cold mashed potato, ½ portion of Cooked pasta, a small head of calebrese brocolli, small red onion, Some manky cheddar that we bought before leaving UK, 6 weeks ago, a sweaty blue Rochfort cheese that we bought in France, 5 weeks ago . Portuguese fresh sausages, from the freezer. Two russet baking apples.
Jenny doesn't like reheated spuds, I do!
Found a good sized red,waxy potato, microwaved, while oven was heating, then into the oven to bake. Cored the apples, stuffed the cavities with apricots,prunes and cinnamon, coated with honey and wrapped in tinfoil...into the oven.
Chopped the onion & mixed it into the mashed spuds,with the juice from the blue cheese. Made it into a patty and popped into the oven sprinkled with extra virgin. Put the sausages in the top of the oven.
Microwaved the broccoli florets, made a cheese sauce with the manky cheddar, added the pasta and florets, From opening the fridge door to serving..... 35 minutes..

Pomegranates for breakfast... Again !!

We were due to do the weekly shop last friday. It was raining and we couldn't be @rsed. Meant to go Saturday, but surprise visitors delayed us. Fridge emptying meal tonight.
A portion of cold mashed potato, ½ portion of Cooked pasta, a small head of calebrese brocolli, small red onion, Some manky cheddar that we bought before leaving UK, 6 weeks ago, a sweaty blue Rochfort cheese that we bought in France, 5 weeks ago . Portuguese fresh sausages, from the freezer. Two russet baking apples.
Jenny doesn't like reheated spuds, I do!
Found a good sized red,waxy potato, microwaved, while oven was heating, then into the oven to bake. Cored the apples, stuffed the cavities with apricots,prunes and cinnamon, coated with honey and wrapped in tinfoil...into the oven.
Chopped the onion & mixed it into the mashed spuds,with the juice from the blue cheese. Made it into a patty and popped into the oven sprinkled with extra virgin. Put the sausages in the top of the oven.
Microwaved the broccoli florets, made a cheese sauce with the manky cheddar, added the pasta and florets, From opening the fridge door to serving..... 35 minutes..

Pomegranates for breakfast... Again !!

Similar tale of woe for me yesterday, empty cupboards etc. ... there are a fair amount of tins in my van downstairs sooo ... a quick phone call to my local kebab shop and ½ an hour later a nice big 12" munchy box was at my door :lol-053:

Fried bread with strawberry jam on it.

Tastes like doughnuts. :tongue:

Fried bread with strawberry jam on it.

Tastes like doughnuts. :tongue:

At first I nearly lost my breakfast but thinking about it? Where that frying pan? Oil or Beef Dripping? Erm!

Richard

A lot of the classics have similar origins of using what was left. Paella my favourite

Channa

I would imagine that Kedgeree came about the same way Andy?

One of my favourite breakfasts.

At first I nearly lost my breakfast but thinking about it? Where that frying pan? Oil or Beef Dripping? Erm!

Richard

Doughnuts are just fried dough with Jam and sugar Richard, so pretty much the same thing.

Beef dripping may be a stretch too far though! That belongs on bread or toast with lethal doses of salt.

Doughnuts are just fried dough with Jam and sugar Richard, so pretty much the same thing.

Beef dripping may be a stretch too far though! That belongs on bread or toast with lethal doses of salt.

Marmite not salt mmmmmmm.

tomorrow its going to be todays leftover roast chicken.Spuds and veg and greens mashed up fried in the frying pan,usually eat this with brown sauce and if there's not much add a fried egg.My mum came from liverpool and had a curious way of cooking to say the least but we never went hungry.
One of her leftover meals was rissoles which was similar to faggots but much tastier.

When we were still living with our parents, mum would always do a huge Sunday roast. Me and my brothers always went to the pub on Sunday's though, usually not returning until late at night.

The whole roast dinner would then get mashed up, chucked in a frying pan with about half a pound of butter, cooked until just about burnt and smothered with copious amounts of brown sauce. A big bubble and squeak with meat really.

Move over Heston.

Cuppa soup PLUS

Not weird but you can really enhance most cuppa soups by

Shredding a carrot (with a potato peeler then slicing up a bit more)
Likewise a potato.
Some finely chopped onion
Finely chopped Mushroom
Boil these in the stated amount of water for 5 to 10 mins.
Then add the cuppasoup ingredients (open the packet first !!!) maybe a bit more water salt pepper coriander

A delicious soup made from a rubbish base (ie the cuppasoup) ideal for lunch.

Many other veggies would be just as good
Cabbage Turnip and or Swede (are you in Scotland ?)
Left over bacon
Really whatever you can find in the fridge (ice cubes are not very tasty)

Not weird but you can really enhance most cuppa soups by

Shredding a carrot (with a potato peeler then slicing up a bit more)
Likewise a potato.
Some finely chopped onion
Finely chopped Mushroom
Boil these in the stated amount of water for 5 to 10 mins.
Then add the cuppasoup ingredients (open the packet first !!!) maybe a bit more water salt pepper coriander

A delicious soup made from a rubbish base (ie the cuppasoup) ideal for lunch.

Many other veggies would be just as good
Cabbage Turnip and or Swede (are you in Scotland ?)
Left over bacon
Really whatever you can find in the fridge (ice cubes are not very tasty)

When I used to go Winter tent camping, I used to use Cuppa Soups added to Smash to go with my bacon in the morning. I wouldn't dream of eating Smash or Cuppa Soups at home, but when it's -5 outside it can be very comforting.

Now where's me pasties.

i wonder if this is what we called "elder" as kids ? - it was a sliced meat-salad-sunday-tea meal in our house

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back