Weight checks

That's interesting. Has anyone seen or heard of the same in the UK?

The UK are building them into the road now for automatic weighing as you drive over them without knowing then you get a fine through the post . The new Mersey gateway bridge has had them built in for their pricing structure but i believe vosa wants to tap into this and use it for checking overweight vehicles also . Take care when loading your van

following copied from West Yorkshires services site, free, wow!

'We have on site a Dynamic Axle weighbridge. It is set up in self weigh mode and available 24 hours per day 7 day per week free of charge to check the axle and gross weight of your vehicle. Instructions for use are next to the weighbridge.

If you require a printed proof of the weight of your vehicle we can provide a weight ticket for a small fee. Please contact us for more details.'

That's interesting. Has anyone seen or heard of the same in the UK?
Yes , normally Easter time on the A64 York Scarborough stretch Vodafone and the police have a stint pulling cars and caravans motorhomes too,,,to check things are as they should be.

I have also seen the occasional motorhome , car caravan pulled at Bramham park on the A1 where there is a weighbridge

Bet most MH's are over weight, our Rimor had 60kg carrying capacity left after adding solar panel, extra batteries, inverter and spare wheel. And that was before we added all the usual camping stuff like chairs, food, clothes, booze etc.

We was on the CAMC site at Brora a few years back and the Swift motorhome at the side of us had a raised rear bed with garage underneath.

The rear springs were banana shaped bent downwards and the gap over the front wheel to the top of the wheel arch must have been about 15" - 18".

I asked the guy if he`d weighed it because it looked way overloaded on the rear axle to the point of being downright dangerous.

He laughed and said don`t talk like a dick, it can`t be overloaded there`s loads of room left in the garage see, and opened the door.

We left the following morning and didn`t come across him again on that trip, thankfully.

Not been checked with van but I use a weigh ridge now and again albeit a wee while back now ,truck been checked a few times with drive over scales

Newbie question;

Can you be more confident with taking a coach built chassis up to its GVW?

On the big trip I plan to do I want the 10% margin but in the UK on sealed roads I would like to have more of a 'chuck it in' attitude but have to respect the chassis is 22 yrs old now.

I am lucky as due to the nature of my job I get weighed 3 to 4 times a day and because of fuel consumption ect it gets lighter as the day goes on so don't just persume the weight of your van without weighing it

What happens if you get stopped and are over weight, will they let you just dump your water for instance and what sort of fines are given out

LGV drivers will get a fine and wont be able to move until they are not overloaded anymore ,so i presume it will be the same for motorhomes , the fines go off how much overloaded you are and can be VERY harsh

What happens if you get stopped and are over weight, will they let you just dump your water for instance and what sort of fines are given out
If dumping your water will put you to the right weight then yes, as for fine a good number of years ago i got put on a weigh bridge with my sprinter van, and although I was 300 kg under max I was 60 kg over on my front axle, I got fined £60

I had my 3500kg van uprated to 3850 a year or so back as we seemed to consistently run at 3650kg with normal holiday mode. Neither axle ever exceeded its limit.

My plan at a weigh in by officials before updating was to dump the 100 lt/kg of fresh get one of the bikes out (20kg) and put the wife on it (no weight declared) with a rucksack on her back with any other items that might be heavy in it or on the pannier behind the seat. I reckon we would be well inside the 3500kg using this strategy!

Davy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back