Weight checks

The correct pressure for my motorhome's tyres is 52 front, 48 rear. Why do you think 47 is very low?
Mine. Is 72 front 79 rear GVW 3500kgs. I'm class 1 Hgv 40 years retired now 47 psi just seems low soft means overheating but if that's recommended go with the manufacturer

The manufacturer? Which one?
The manufacturer of the base vehicle?
The manufacturer of the original tyres? The nanufacturer of the motorhome conversion?
The manufacturer of the tyres currently fitted?
You can bet that each will have a different recommended pressure, none of which is related to the actual tyre loads of your vehicle. All of which is based on guesswork, with extra pressure in case you overload and a bit more in case you rarely check them.
There is a correct pressure, which depends on the tyre rating and the load. It won't be the same as any of the recommended pressures.

The manufacturer? Which one?
The manufacturer of the base vehicle?
The manufacturer of the original tyres? The nanufacturer of the motorhome conversion?
The manufacturer of the tyres currently fitted?
You can bet that each will have a different recommended pressure, none of which is related to the actual tyre loads of your vehicle. All of which is based on guesswork, with extra pressure in case you overload and a bit more in case you rarely check them.
There is a correct pressure, which depends on the tyre rating and the load. It won't be the same as any of the recommended pressures.
2 photos of tyres 1 shows 65psi motorhome Elddis 72 79 so I contacted conternental and said yes go with 72 79 2 picture take what you will I did look into it I'm not just a village idiot

IMG_20200705_111945.jpg
IMG_20200705_111504.jpg

So what is the axle load? Without that information, we know nothing. I (now) see the load rating: 105 seems quite low, so that tyre will need a fairly high pressure.

And it's a CP tyre, not a C, so the heavier sidewalls mean it will need higher pressure to prevent overheating.

So what is the axle load? Without that information, we know nothing. I (now) see the load rating: 105 seems quite low, so that tyre will need a fairly high pressure.

And it's a CP tyre, not a C, so the heavier sidewalls mean it will need higher pressure to prevent overheating.

IMG_20191213_115141.jpg

That's the chassis maximum, not the actual load.

To find the load, you have to load up fully with everythung and fuel, water, passengers, then drive to a weighbridge and weigh each axle.

The 2 photos i`m looking at shows different figures to what is being quoted here.

Photo 1, Shows a load rating of 109 and not " 105 " with a maximum pressure of 69PSI and not " 65PSI " as started in previous posts.

Photo 2, Shows it has a CP maximum pressure of 5.50 BAR with equates to 79.77PSI.

You're right: I had misread the load rating on my phone: the picture was a lot smaller than on my computer.

109 is 1030 KG, and if that van was loaded to the limit, it would be at 1000KG, so the correct pressure would be 69 * 1030/1000 = 67psi.
For the front axle, it's 69 * 1030 / 925 = 62psi

But that's the correct pressure at max rated weight. We don't know the actual max weight on the axle, which may be higher or it may be lower.

Thanks for the info. All done today just got invoice through. £700 all in with VB air assist on rear. Tyres are ok to up to 3850 looks like an easy job and they send the part to fit. more importantly it ups the rear axle to 2250 so loads spare now thankfully.
Paper exercise would have given 3650 with all the restrictions and no real benefit as rear axle stays the same. just ordered twin gaslows now so all ready for the big tour

You could have ordered some lighter tanks Twin Gaslow bottles empty are 23Kg. Lithium battery 100Ah gives same output amps as TWO 100Ah batteries and weighs 15Kg instead of 30Kg ( 60 Kg for TWO ) so massive saving and they are getting cheaper. We have just bought a Carthago so don't have to worry about licence. It weighs 2900Kg as it stands in the showroom. So we have 600Kg payload. We don't carry a lot of junk round with us and we managed happily with a 3500Kg Pilote. Be interesting to see how much it weighs loaded.

You could have ordered some lighter tanks Twin Gaslow bottles empty are 23Kg. Lithium battery 100Ah gives same output amps as TWO 100Ah batteries and weighs 15Kg instead of 30Kg ( 60 Kg for TWO ) so massive saving and they are getting cheaper. We have just bought a Carthago so don't have to worry about licence. It weighs 2900Kg as it stands in the showroom. So we have 600Kg payload. We don't carry a lot of junk round with us and we managed happily with a 3500Kg Pilote. Be interesting to see how much it weighs loaded.
That lot would have cost more than £700, and chances are that the batteries and gas lockers aren't behind the rear axle, so might not have helped significantly.

When you say yours is 2900Kg as it stands in the showroom, is that what the sales leaflet says, or have you weighed it?

That lot would have cost more than £700, and chances are that the batteries and gas lockers aren't behind the rear axle, so might not have helped significantly.

When you say yours is 2900Kg as it stands in the showroom, is that what the sales leaflet says, or have you weighed it?

It's been on the weighbridge. When we bought our Laika from the same company they gave us a ticket with the weight on. One of the first things I checked as we want to be under the 3500Kg limit.

We bought a used 2007 Hymer a-class on Merc 319 chassis, 3880 MIRO. After its first service I got it on a weighbridge empty, no overcab mattress or passenger, full diesel and Gas bottles, and the front axle was a few kg overweight! Fortunately I never got checked. It ran and handled beautifully.
So with two passengers front axle 150-200 kg over or does 'empty' include driver?

Give SvTech at Leyland a call 01772 621800

http://www.svtech.co.uk/

They will tell you what can and more importantly what cannot be done.

Have your V5C and tyre sizes / load ratings ready at hand as they will need this to give you the correct information, the advice is free of charge.
And after that get John Ruffles of JR Consultancy to do the paperwork for you - £180 all in.

Yes we could have got lighter bottles and did look. But once we uprated to 3850 we now have enough spare load and twin gaslows had great price they are positioned mid axles as well
Interesting on your weight our van should have had 500kg payload where did that all go. I'll be taking our van to weight check again when we can don’t expect any problem now

Yes we could have got lighter bottles and did look. But once we uprated to 3850 we now have enough spare load and twin gaslows had great price they are positioned mid axles as well
Interesting on your weight our van should have had 500kg payload where did that all go. I'll be taking our van to weight check again when we can don’t expect any problem now
A few things catch people out. Firstly any extra's above basic spec reduce payload, then there is always a +/- 5% tolerance on built weight, some manufacturers are always +5% which is suspicious, also people often underestimate just how much weight all those 'bits and bobs' add up to. I suspect when you are fully loaded and on the road with enough water to 'wildcamp' you will be getting up closer to max, but should be workable.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back