Wales 20mph limit starts Sept 17th - a heads-up

Went from near Bala to Cardiff and back last Saturday. Approx 300 miles and only dual carriageway/motorway for 60 of them. A mixed picture. Some villages all 20, some with the through road mostly still 30 with side roads 20, some with a few 100 yds lead in and out 30 and middle 20. All well signed.

I've got a 2DTI 6 speed DSG with speed limiter. Had to concentrate to press a button every time I saw a sign but apart from that it was easy.

What was VERY noticeable was the difference it made when I pressed to go from 20 to 30. There is a BIG difference.

Every other car I saw seemed to be following the rules. It's a regular journey, I'd allowed and extra 20mins but didnt need them (how does that work?). Cardiff its self a different matter doubt if I averaged 10/12 mph.

Doing the same journey tomorrow. Still allow extra time wonder if I'll need it.

There is a route A5/A49 that I sometimes use that mostly goes through England, same mileage might compare that on way back. But Local News suggests Shropshire might soon follow Wales and go 20. I'm convinced most of England will be too in the next 5 years.

It usually follows England 😀

Went from near Bala to Cardiff and back last Saturday. Approx 300 miles and only dual carriageway/motorway for 60 of them. A mixed picture. Some villages all 20, some with the through road mostly still 30 with side roads 20, some with a few 100 yds lead in and out 30 and middle 20. All well signed.

I've got a 2DTI 6 speed DSG with speed limiter. Had to concentrate to press a button every time I saw a sign but apart from that it was easy.

What was VERY noticeable was the difference it made when I pressed to go from 20 to 30. There is a BIG difference.

Every other car I saw seemed to be following the rules. It's a regular journey, I'd allowed and extra 20mins but didnt need them (how does that work?). Cardiff its self a different matter doubt if I averaged 10/12 mph.

Doing the same journey tomorrow. Still allow extra time wonder if I'll need it.

There is a route A5/A49 that I sometimes use that mostly goes through England, same mileage might compare that on way back. But Local News suggests Shropshire might soon follow Wales and go 20. I'm convinced most of England will be too in the next 5 years.

It usually follows England 😀
Lovely drive for you, I'm jealous! I haven't had to go to Aber yet. I've been surprised at how many "30" roads there still are all over Flintshire, Wrexham and Denbighshire. I looked into it on the Flintshire Council website (because their map is easy to find!), and apparently if the 30 limit was "by order" originally, it has stayed at 30. Wrexham seem to be busy removing the painted 20's on the roads now, despite having a year to do it, and their Unite members currently being on strike. As we said, it's made no difference on our little twisty winding roads. Storm in a teacup. I've noticed more 20's creeping in over the border too. Chester and Wirral have loads. They might be putting the "promotion" money they got from the Welsh Government into it! Siwrnai saff i chi heddiw yn y tywydd mawr.

Of more concern to me is that Ceredigion council appear to view 'caravenettes' (as they term it) as a cash cow when it comes to parking.

I don't see what the issue is. Just drive along at 20! If you want to speed do so and take the risk of being caught. I've noticed since the social media age, people are finding more and more stuff to get wound up, or wind others up about. Just live your own lives and let others do what they want to.

I don't see what the issue is. Just drive along at 20! If you want to speed do so and take the risk of being caught. I've noticed since the social media age, people are finding more and more stuff to get wound up, or wind others up about. Just live your own lives and let others do what they want to.
Think of the polution driving round in second gear.

Most modern cars will happily drive in 3rd at 20 mph, and produce less pollution than at 30. The biggest problem for pollution is traffic calming measures which cause vehicles to slow down then speed up.

Not to mention that they can be dangerous.

We have a chicane not far from us on a bend so to go around it in one direction you have to be on the wrong side of the road.

There have been several accidents there.

Not to mention that they can be dangerous.

We have a chicane not far from us on a bend so to go around it in one direction you have to be on the wrong side of the road.

There have been several accidents there.
A friend of mine used to live on a busy road where one was installed, it had to be removed after several years due to the number of accidents.

A friend of mine used to live on a busy road where one was installed, it had to be removed after several years due to the number of accidents.

Prior to having the chicane I mentioned, in the same place they had a 'sleeping policeman' next to a drain.

After a period of heavy rain the SP acted as a dam and flooded a pub and couple of houses. The planners really do have no idea!

We saw a good calming method in Portugal. On the approach to towns, there are traffic lights that sit on red and only change to green as you approach - so you have to slow down if you aren't going to run the red light.

Presumably paired with a camera?

Great idea in the right location.

We saw a good calming method in Portugal. On the approach to towns, there are traffic lights that sit on red and only change to green as you approach - so you have to slow down if you aren't going to run the red light.
Seen that method too, works well because there is a benefit to the driver to comply, rather than just fining for not.
They can still shove their dopey limits where the sun don't shine though. :LOL:

Most modern cars will happily drive in 3rd at 20 mph, and produce less pollution than at 30. The biggest problem for pollution is traffic calming measures which cause vehicles to slow down then speed up.
Well mine just wont, easy stalled below 3000rpm, small engine highly tuned from new.

Yesterday I drove into my "home town" of Dereham, Norfolk with the intention of getting to my daughter's house in the least possible time by accelerating hard whenever possible. I passed the 30mph limit sign and started my stopwatch: it read 7min 59.67secs when I stopped at her house, a distance which Google Maps says is 2.1 miles.
Calling the time 8 minutes, this equates to an average speed of 15.75mph.

Gordon

We were taking the dogs out for their morning run a couple of days ago. On a 50 mph dual carriageway
a big BMW flew past us at around 80 mph dangerously cut in to the LH lane and took a bend at a stupidly high speed. Shortly after, we caught up to him at traffic lights and followed him through the 30 mph limit until he turned into a large school grounds. So it seems like he was a Teacher and about an hour late for work. Ladies and Gentlemen, we have morons teaching our youngsters. :(

Simple answer more speed cameras and fixed penalties by post.

Last edited:
Surely the technology exists to restrict vehicles to speed limits by use of a simple sensor in the car, possibly linked to GPS. Instant ban and huge fines/jail for anybody interfering with or removing the sensor. Of course that would take away a source of revenue for the authorities though.

Having said that, I would only like to see that in place for built up areas.

Surely the technology exists to restrict vehicles to speed limits by use of a simple sensor in the car, possibly linked to GPS. Instant ban and huge fines/jail for anybody interfering with or removing the sensor. Of course that would take away a source of revenue for the authorities though.

Having said that, I would only like to see that in place for built up areas.
Thats already in the pipeline rob and was talked about some years back, problem is if in danger and require to accelerate out of trouble you cannot do so, hence its been held back by protesters and motoering groups, rightly so.

Back