Update on Ruby bay Elie Fife.

Fisherman

We spent two nights on Thursday and Friday at the Ruby Bay carpark in Elie.

They have been having problems with the parking meter when paying by card. But I had no problems making two overnight parking charges of £10 each night.

I got chatting to two of the wardens who were inspecting vehicles for parking permits.
I highlighted the issue of vans with external covers having difficulty in displaying their tickets.
They are considering using RingGo to back up their system.

Also they have demolished the old toilets and are building a new toilet block. I pointed out that without an elsan point that it would be used to empty cassettes. They were aware of this issue. They are considering fitting elsan Points at their Elie and Kingsbarns carparks. But this is not definite. They are keen to avoid issues with cassettes being emptied into the toilets, something which they did not allow in the old toilets,

We intended to continue our trip at Craigmead but I discovered during the second night that our batteries were done. We spent Friday night with no power, or heating, and instead went to Lochore for two nights with EHU. I have two batteries coming from Alpha tomorrow which I will instal. A real bummer having to replace batteries in a van I will be getting rid of later in the year.

Heres some shots I took on our trip. The first shot is Dunfermline Abbey.
The others were taken at Elie and Anstruther.
21B8E409-BE14-4F68-A97B-42E9A232CA58.jpeg
BAA6AD5B-AA89-4443-A27E-AAB3362BEA84.jpeg
3F3338C8-4FDA-4451-8CA8-01B7C6A0E75B.jpeg
B49966F4-D539-4CCA-B135-639A4014C07E.jpeg
6F514E79-69FD-46D4-8A77-8ED6619AE9A3.jpeg
00CC58C5-23CD-419E-973B-8A1E53E7C7A3.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice pics.
One thing I don't understand is, what is the difference between emptying a cassette full of p-ss & scobby doo compared to sitting down and emptying one's self, its the same stuff. :unsure:

I think it fair to say this is perhaps main issue with cassette emptying in a public loo is some folks are not careful enough and miss the target 🎯 at the initial pour, with contents spread around a cubicle, not nice.

Then there is the loo roll within the cassette, some folks may buy the cassette friendly type bum wipe, others don’t, then you have this sudden influx of loo roll that can choke the toilet rendering it useless to all.

We use standard loo roll, and when used goes into a sealed container lined with appropriate plastic bin liner, which is then burned safely and discreetly. I picked up this trick when on dive boats. No paper disposed off down the head.

When Kingsbarns recently replaced old with a new toilet block, they missed a trick not having an outside elsan point, also water fill point, Lochore got it right, though.

Nice pics.
One thing I don't understand is, what is the difference between emptying a cassette full of p-ss & scobby doo compared to sitting down and emptying one's self, its the same stuff. :unsure:
Don't people put other stuff in their cassette? Loads of paper, formaldehyde or detergent or other chemicals that destroy septic tank bacteria? Anyway several days at once may block the pipes.

Nice pics.
A report on an issue they had at an East Lothian spot was the volume going in at once blocking the pipes, you could probably overcome this by flushing occasionally.

Don't people put other stuff in their cassette? Loads of paper, formaldehyde or detergent or other chemicals that destroy septic tank bacteria? Anyway several days at once may block the pipes.
You’re wasting your time going over old ground on here.
Some just don’t get it.
The wardens had to clean the mess left by selfish Motorhomers who ignored the signs asking them not to empty their cassettes. As you say the chemicals also destroyed the sceptic tanks which meant they had to be constantly emptied at great cost to the charity. How else did the wardens know this was happening.

The toilets at New England bay in Galloway became unusable for the public to use safely due to the mess left by Motorhomers, and had to be closed. They had to fit an elsan point outside the toilet. And if there was no difference, why do we have elsan points. The toilets had to be deep cleaned refurbished before reopening.

I think if there are signs asking you not to do so, and you ignore them, then you are doing us harm. Particularly when people running a charity like the Fife Coastal Trust do their level best for us.

We don’t enjoy a good reputation with the public, why make matters worse with totally selfish and unnecessary behaviour.

Last edited:
I think it fair to say this is perhaps main issue with cassette emptying in a public loo is some folks are not careful enough and miss the target 🎯 at the initial pour, with contents spread around a cubicle, not nice.

Then there is the loo roll within the cassette, some folks may buy the cassette friendly type bum wipe, others don’t, then you have this sudden influx of loo roll that can choke the toilet rendering it useless to all.

We use standard loo roll, and when used goes into a sealed container lined with appropriate plastic bin liner, which is then burned safely and discreetly. I picked up this trick when on dive boats. No paper disposed off down the head.

When Kingsbarns recently replaced old with a new toilet block, they missed a trick not having an outside elsan point, also water fill point, Lochore got it right, though.
Lochore were fortunate in that theirs is connected to a sewer Terry.
But they had to upgrade their pipework owing to problems with blockages, as you mentioned. What some don’t understand is in some locations, even if the toilet is connected to a sewer it may be via a 4 inch pipe which cannot handle the sudden contents of a cassette.

Fife coastal trust will need to fit separate storage tanks for the elsan points, to prevent contamination of their sceptic tanks. And the fact that a charity are even considering this speaks multitudes for them.

Lochore allow you to empty your cassette free from charge, but ask for a £5 donation. Something we have done twice when not staying there.

Last edited:
Nice pics.
Sorry Trev, but if you don’t see any difference then please think again.
Such behaviour damages sceptic tanks, leaves public toilets unfit for use, creates blockages, and creates another stick to whack us over the head with. We can make our cassette last 4 days, why not plan ahead and make sure you have access to an elsan point once a week, it’s a no brainier to me.

Probably easier all round to just ban MH's that still use the very primitive wet style loo's and don't have a proper separator/compost type loo. :p

Sorry Trev, but if you don’t see any difference then please think again.
Such behaviour damages sceptic tanks, leaves public toilets unfit for use, creates blockages, and creates another stick to whack us over the head with. We can make our cassette last 4 days, why not plan ahead and make sure you have access to an elsan point once a week, it’s a no brainier to me.
Main reason I don't do it is in case I'm spotted by a member of the public . When I do empty , the contents are basically liquid and will not damage a septic tank or cause a blockage .
I often use my own house toilet for emptying and it does not cause any problems .

This thread from the Campra forum may be of interest. Campra have funds to make a grant for installation of elsan points.

Many thanks number 14.

Anyone caring to read your post will see how much good work Fife Coastal Trust are doing on our behalf. I think it’s incumbent upon us to do likewise towards them. We should all remember what goes on the other side of the Firth in East Lothian, and appreciate the good work being done here.

Main reason I don't do it is in case I'm spotted by a member of the public . When I do empty , the contents are basically liquid and will not damage a septic tank or cause a blockage .
I often use my own house toilet for emptying and it does not cause any problems .
Sorry but any time I see this being done it’s a very quick in and out in seconds. I then venture into the scene of the crime. And not once have I not managed to ses signs of spillage from a cassette. On one occasion I was utterly appalled at the mess left for unsuspecting members of the public. I just don’t see why you don’t make sure you have access to an elsan point once a week, it woukd save all of this from happening. I know folk get tetchy about this, but my main concerns are for the public, and our reputation. And I have seen this done when signs are up asking not to do this.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back