Update on Ruby bay Elie Fife.

r
I wish I had thought of the bees in the bonnet. as that is how it looks to me. You would not know you had followed me as I leave no clue except for a distinctive smell for a few minutes. There are signs all over the place, mostly illegal, banning overnight parking. In Exmouth there is an area along the seafront to the east of the town. Someone queried the ban and the spurious reasons of why the ban was put on were amazing. I checked up on it and every one was spurious. Pure prejudice and jealousy is all it is, I will give you chapter and verse, Fisherman (so far as I remember) on it if you like
Harry with the greatest of respect, I am not talking about you or to you, or any other individual. No matter how careful you are the fact remains that due to our actions toilets are left filthy, blocked, and in some instances even closed. If you chose to take what I posted as personal then so be it. But what has parking restrictions legal or otherwise got to do with this. If the owner of a public toilet politely asks you not to empty your cassette, I reckon that’s reasonable. They could be asking this due to damage caused to their sceptic tank, previous blockages, or a mess left by someone else. I have no doubt that you take care, but would it not be a lot easier to simply visit an elsan point weekly. Just think how a member of the public will view what you do, put yourself in their mindset.
And if I have angered or upset you I really do apologise sincerely, that was never my intention.

Last edited:
I Mentioned the parking restrictions only to make the point that these bans are so often made out of vested interest, prejudice or jealousy. If we allowed ourselves to be affected by them we would not own motorhomes as they are frequently seen as nuisances on the roads. I have a friend (a motor homer) who's wife was totally against cassette emptying any where apart from camp site dump points. I took her to one side and gently explained the reasons not to be against (even my emptying into a manhole specifically put there for the purpose on my property and on a main sewer) To her mind it was the "yuk" factor, nothing logical. She is now a convert. So many people are like that and that is unreasonable and should not be accepted, I feel.

Yes me too Graham but these things should be sorted out. It is the use of inclusive words like WE that I object to. If it were accepted then maybe people might avail themselves of advice as to how to do it in an acceptable manner.

I Mentioned the parking restrictions only to make the point that these bans are so often made out of vested interest, prejudice or jealousy. If we allowed ourselves to be affected by them we would not own motorhomes as they are frequently seen as nuisances on the roads. I have a friend (a motor homer) who's wife was totally against cassette emptying any where apart from camp site dump points. I took her to one side and gently explained the reasons not to be against (even my emptying into a manhole specifically put there for the purpose on my property and on a main sewer) To her mind it was the "yuk" factor, nothing logical. She is now a convert. So many people are like that and that is unreasonable and should not be accepted, I feel.
With the greatest respect we’re not talking about parking restrictions and whether they’re illegal or not we’re talking about emptying your cassette public toilets. It’s selfish of you and disrespectful to do so as the clues in the name Public Toilets. If it said Public Toilets and portable toilet emptying point it would be acceptable but it doesn’t it says public toilets. You may think it’s ok to sneak about with cassettes in IKEA bags under the cover of darkness as some do but all it does is makes us look selfish and disrespectful in Joe Publics eyes.

With the greatest respect we’re not talking about parking restrictions and whether they’re illegal or not we’re talking about emptying your cassette public toilets. It’s selfish of you and disrespectful to do so as the clues in the name Public Toilets. If it said Public Toilets and portable toilet emptying point it would be acceptable but it doesn’t it says public toilets. You may think it’s ok to sneak about with cassettes in IKEA bags under the cover of darkness as some do but all it does is makes us look selfish and disrespectful in Joe Publics eyes.
Glad I’m not the only one with a bee in my bonnet 🐝 😂

For me it’s quite simple really. Public toilets are not the place to empty a cassette, for all the reasons given. If there is a sign specifically prohibiting it, then it’s even worse.

Those saying “I’m responsible” as a reason to do it are missing the point and contributing to facilities getting closed.

There were many people explaining how the rules didn’t apply to them at Helmsley, right up to the point it was closed to overnight stopovers. The entitled all had reasons to ignore the notices about numbers, distance, etc. But they ruined it.

For me it’s quite simple really. Public toilets are not the place to empty a cassette, for all the reasons given. If there is a sign specifically prohibiting it, then it’s even worse.

Those saying “I’m responsible” as a reason to do it are missing the point and contributing to facilities getting closed.

There were many people explaining how the rules didn’t apply to them at Helmsley, right up to the point it was closed to overnight stopovers. The entitled all had reasons to ignore the notices about numbers, distance, etc. But they ruined it.
Well said. Possibly enough said.
But well said none the less.

I have just finished a long conversation with one of my friends who is a retired South West Water drainage engineer with a BSC in chemistry (scientist) (many years ago he came out to inspect the drains of a factory, the construction of which I was supervising, and our association proceeded to my designing the house in which he currently lives) He says that in the early days of detergents they did not biodegrade very well and that modern biological detergents have no or virtually no deleterious effects on septic tanks in normal usage. I described my usage and he said that in his opinion that was likely to be less harmful that a washing machine emptying into a sewer. He also said that people love to spread horror stories. He is not aware of any public toilets that discharge into septic tanks in the SWW region though there may, of course, be some in other areas. He would be very suspicious of any “scientist” who said otherwise.

Now hopefully enough said

I have just finished a long conversation with one of my friends who is a retired South West Water drainage engineer with a BSC in chemistry (scientist) (many years ago he came out to inspect the drains of a factory, the construction of which I was supervising, and our association proceeded to my designing the house in which he currently lives) He says that in the early days of detergents they did not biodegrade very well and that modern biological detergents have no or virtually no deleterious effects on septic tanks in normal usage. I described my usage and he said that in his opinion that was likely to be less harmful that a washing machine emptying into a sewer. He also said that people love to spread horror stories. He is not aware of any public toilets that discharge into septic tanks in the SWW region though there may, of course, be some in other areas. He would be very suspicious of any “scientist” who said otherwise.

Now hopefully enough said
You described your usage, but did you add that 10 others may do the same on the same day?

10 others from a container or from a bumhole ?
Just asking for clarity
As said in an earlier post if you can empty the same amount out your bum hole as you can with a full cassette hitting that yellow button and letting it go I would seek medical advice.
The fact it’s a public toilet and not Elsan disposal should be enough🤷‍♂️

As said in an earlier post if you can empty the same amount out your bum hole as you can with a full cassette hitting that yellow button and letting it go I would seek medical advice.
The fact it’s a public toilet and not Elsan disposal should be enough🤷‍♂️
Unfortunately getting enough medical advice to fill a large cassette already.
Obviously , as I'm sure you know , wasn't a serious question

Perhaps we can bet back to why I posted this thread initially.

I have just sent Fife Coastal Trust an email with comments about their facility at Elie Ruby Bay.

If you wish to do likewise or phone them.
Ask.us@fifecountryside.co.uk Phone 01592 656080

Here's what I sent them today.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I spent two nights at your Elie Ruby Bay carpark last week and got into a conversation with two of your parking attendants.

We discussed the proposed development of new toilet facilities at the carpark, and in addition the possible installation of a chemical waste point. We discussed the problems you had suffered, when some motorhome owners ignored signage asking not to empty their cassettes into the previously installed public toilet, something I have never done, and most of us would never do. Your attendants explained that if a chemical waste point was installed it would lead to contamination of your sceptic tank.

I feel it's important that you do install a chemical waste point, because if you don’t, your problems will only multiply. Sadly there are some amongst us who think this kind of behaviour is acceptable, and although a minority they will continue to do so, diss regarding any signage you place forbidding this. This will in turn still lead to damage to your sceptic tanks, as well as poor hygiene standards within the proposed new toilets. I appreciate that there are costs involved in this, and I can only apologise for this poor behaviour which is creating this issue.

Can I also point out another issue. The current system you have in place for overnight parking involves showing a parking ticket within our motorhome. But many motorhomes owners use external covers, making it almost impossible for them to display their tickets from within their vehicles. I would have thought it would have been better to use the Ringo method of payment instead, negating the need for displaying parking tickets. I have also had problems in the past making payments with the current system.

Finally, I would just like to thank Fife Coastal Trust for all you have done for motorhome owners in recent years. I know you have had, and will have issues, and I really am sorry for this, but you have shown great patience, which is very much appreciated by the vast majority of us in our community.

Last edited:
Dear William

Thank you for taking the time to email us with your thoughts about overnight parking, and for your thanks to our team.
I hope you enjoyed your stay at Elie Ruby Bay.
I will forward your email to our Head of Operations, Robbie Blyth, so that he can read your feedback.

Kind regards
Marjory

The Harbourmaster's House
Hotpot Wynd
Dysart
Fife
KY1 2TQ

Tel. 01592 656080

Outlook-lkij0ael.png

https://fifecoastandcountrysidetrust.co.uk/

Fife Coast and Countryside Trust is a company registered in Scotland, Company No. SC216254 and a Registered Scottish Charity, Charity No. SC031247. Registered office: The Harbourmaster’s House, Hot Pot Wynd, Dysart, Fife KY1 2TQ.

Just got a reply from Robbie, with some very interesting details.
Here are links to the two websites mentioned in the reply.

overnight-parking
Freedom-Camping-Options-Paper-on-Motorhome-Use-in-Fife.pdf
Dear William

Thank you for talking the time to email Fife Coast & Countryside Trust (FCCT) with your feedback and thoughts on the provision of overnight parking.

The new toilet building should be in place for the end of February, and it was always our intention to instal a chemical waste disposal point however this has been problematic as has the installation of parking meters.

Chemical Disposal Points & Public Toilets

It was our original intention to connect the new toilet block to the village utilities network thus negating the need for a septic tank and offering up an opportunity to direct all waste to the Scottish Water sewage network. After consultation with local stakeholders, we were advised that sewage network didn’t have the capacity for additional effluent and therefore a request was made to use the septic tank instead.

It’s not best practice to use a septic tank for a chemical disposal point (CDP) though we have made adaptions within the new toilet facility that’s to be installed and for a Trial Period it will operate with a CDP. Looking ahead if there is no negative impact on the septic tank, we will keep the CDP in place however if it proves problematic and to the detriment of Public Toilet provision, we will review our options.

Once the public toilet is back in place, we will also provide overnight access to one compartment therefore giving those who park overnight the option to use their vehicle toilet or the public toilet block.

Parking Ticket Display

The introduction of the parking charge was to primarily control inappropriate parking and so far, the scheme with a few exceptions has worked well. Unlike the commercial parking sector our focus is on sustainable access for all at the minimum costs. As we are a small charity it would be quite expensive requiring a lot of back-office support to use an online platform like “RingGo” however as we look to the future it’s not a scheme we would rule out. At FCCT it is our intention to manage our sites in a way that’s empathetic and considerate and if staff cannot see a ticket because of a window cover they make allowances.

In the spring we are looking to expand the provision of overnight parking to other locations however in the meantime this link takes you our dedicated page that encourages sustainable overnight parking currently at 5 carparks (23 overnight bays) . We also undertook a feasibility study several years ago now that has helped make the case for our positive approach and it is anticipated by the start of April this year we will have another 4 carparks online with an additional 24 overnight parking bays.

Should you wish to discuss overnight parking or share further please don’t hesitate to contact me and thank you for your kind words regarding the work we undertake at FCCT.

Best Regards

Robbie Blyth

Head of Operations
Fife Coast and Countryside Trust
Pitcairn Centre
Moidart Drive
Glenrothes
Fife
KY7 6ET

Tel. 03451 55 55 55 ext. 444981
Mob. 07940774065

image001.png

https://fifecoastandcountrysidetrust.co.uk/

Extract from Fife Coast & countryside Trust.

Waste Disposal
Please ensure you dispose of your waste in the correct manner by following this advice.
Do not use public toilets for “black waste”.
In rural areas these often operate with small scale sewage treatment or septic tank systems that cannot cope with multiple toilet cassettes being emptied in a short space of time. This can result in toilets becoming blocked and being unavailable for use.
Do use one of the publicly available motorhome waste facilities.
More are being added all the time so check the map and list to find one near you. www.campa.org.uk/waste-disposal
Only use the specially designed motorhome waste disposal facilities. Remember some chemicals are not septic- tank friendly preventing proper biological decomposition in other systems.

Campervan-v3.pdf

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back