To level or not to level

I am a Yay. We used to carry and use Milenco quads but they are big and heavy however...

...when we bought our last MH a few years ago it came with an E&P self levelling system attached to it. I was firmly in the "Ā£5 grand???!!! I'll never pay that" camp (now even more to buy I think) but as they came with the MH it was fine. Upon using them, what a game changer! I'll not be without them now and when we change our MH I'll see if can get them taken off and then put on the new one.

I prefer not, but we always carry a set of Milenco ramps just in case (fridge doesn't like being off kilter!) Rarely use on a one nighter

When I first got my wagon I bought a bullseye level and went to a disused weighbridge (dead level) and parked on it; slid the level about on dash board until the bubble centred then glued it in place. Park by kerb and drive halfway up kerb, forward or back, until level. Then shower works fine. My own silly fault as I made a new shower tray because the McLouis one was paper thin and leaked (after a few years) and I did not think to put two outlets on it, silly boy.

I have always been definitely not. I have never really seen the need to take up a large amount of space for what always seemed a the minor inconvenience of being a bit on the pist. However recently, including an incident with uncooked omelette departing my ridge monkey all over the place, I have wondered if they might be worth while. Are you yeah or nay? And if yes what sort do you recommend ? Thanks
Fiamma are OK on the odd occasion that the ground is too slopey

On our last trip I saw two vans with hydraulic? levellers.

Levellers.jpg

For the well heeled

On our last trip I saw two vans with hydraulic? levellers.

Levellers.jpg

For the well heeled

Yep I saw one on a CL in Devon a few weeks ago. Is it not bad for the van to have its wheels hanging in the air for days?

I'm all for useful additions but this seems like a waste of payload and money to me

They would be hanging on the dampers so not really, not sure what a set weighs, maybe 50kg the lot perhaps.

An HPC motorhome automatic levelling system is extremely lightweight, featuring jacks made from anodised aluminium.

They would be hanging on the dampers so not really, not sure what a set weighs, maybe 50kg the lot perhaps.

An HPC motorhome automatic levelling system is extremely lightweight, featuring jacks made from anodised aluminium.

50kg is still half a scooter kev!

I bet my jumbo blocks weigh a couple of kilos each. :D
I

Half a you too maybe :D :D

I read that bit wrong :D :D :D
I bet my jumbo blocks weigh a couple of kilos each

If on Aires or CL then usually go to the bother of using the ramps but if off grid or especially in Spain where the bright yellow wedges shout ā€œcamping not parkingā€ then they stay in the bag. Oddly your mindset does change a little when setting up on the ramps, I am more likely to stay an extra night having made a small territorial claim! Of course we have to listen to the fridge which must be obeyed in warmer climes as wellā€¦ā€¦

I have an E&P level system, not only to level the MH (7.45 m.) but also to create more stability and not shaking when walking through MH.
One more advantage: when stuck in wet grass, level front wheels, plates under the wheels and drive off.

Attachments

• rijplaat_wegrijhulp.png
    rijplaat_wegrijhulp.png
    2 MB · Views: 50
yes Wooie, my rarely used ramps have their own locker, well they are all dirty, go on the ground. A chunk of the side skirt modified into a door and a plywood locker fixed on behind.

I have an E&P level system, not only to level the MH (7.45 m.) but also to create more stability and not shaking when walking through MH.
One more advantage: when stuck in wet grass, level front wheels, plates under the wheels and drive off.

I carry egg crate grills and short Milenco track thingies to do exactly the same thing but fortunately I haven't had to deploy them yet.

Good point about the stability, had forgotten about that: it does stop any rock and roll.

Ah but also which camp are you in as regards care of your beloved ramps? Are you in the meticulously clean the ramps after use and put them back into their pristine bag camp or are you in the immediately discard the bag (they never fit back in anyway) on first use and then from that day forward just sling the muddy ramps in the garage camp?

Guess which one I'm in? :D

When wilding, find a pothole for the high corner, or a stone for the low corner.

If a coffee mug slides across the table, it's not level enough for comfort or for our fridge (which needs to be less than 6 degrees off level).

We carry a set of Milenco Trident ramps: slightly higher than the Quad but with pockets big enough to hold the wheels. The just sit in the garage and only get used at places like festivals. They get a bit bent at the edges but they work well.

I think I have a couple of sets that were in vans when I bought them, but when we first started out we used them maybe twice and since then never bothered, may as well bin them.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back