To level or not to level

suneye

I have always been definitely not. I have never really seen the need to take up a large amount of space for what always seemed a the minor inconvenience of being a bit on the pist. However recently, including an incident with uncooked omelette departing my ridge monkey all over the place, I have wondered if they might be worth while. Are you yeah or nay? And if yes what sort do you recommend ? Thanks

Used to be a nay for years, preferring to just wing it and manoeuvre the van as best as possible partly because I took joy in just turning the engine off and getting straight on with relaxing with no faffing but now I'm a yay. I think possibly because for a few years now we are seldom one nighters. We tend to always stay at least a couple of nights and if we find somewhere we really like longer. The last CL we were on we stayed three weeks! So being level is nice.

I just buy those Fiama jumbo leveling blocks because they are big and high but quite light. They last a few seasons but eventually fall to bits.

Nay for us, the only time we need to be level is to use the shower the van always tips to the front all waste are to the rear crap design, I can sleep out of level usually.

Used to be a nay for years, preferring to just wing it and manoeuvre the van as best as possible partly because I took joy in just turning the engine off and getting straight on with relaxing with no faffing but now I'm a yay. I think possibly because for a few years now we are seldom one nighters. We tend to always stay at least a couple of nights and if we find somewhere we really like longer. The last CL we were on we stayed three weeks! So being level is nice.

I just buy those Fiama jumbo leveling blocks because they are big and high but quite light. They last a few seasons but eventually fall to bits.
For longer stays I can see the reasoning but we rarely stay more than one night and never more than two 🤷🏻‍♀️I was wondering how long they lasted probably better to spend a bit more if we do buy I’ll look at the fiama ones thanks

Nay for us, the only time we need to be level is to use the shower the van always tips to the front all waste are to the rear crap design, I can sleep out of level usually.
No shower so that’s not a problem and waste straight down from the sink. We have had a couple of nights when we’ve not slept so well . Thanks for your answer

When the omelette departed what was the angle?

We use a levelling app on the phone and generally prefer to find somewhere where the angles don’t exceed 3 degrees. Anything more and it feels like we are on a ferry in a rolling sea. Maybe we have sensitive fluids in the ears.

Don’t like using levelling blocks when wilding as it provides a clue as to your overnight intentions. It really depends how “official” the park up is.

I've never bothered until recently. My van has quite a low ground clearance and at a site recently I had to get underneath to bolt on a loose sump guard panel.

It was very tight getting underneath and I realised that if I had levelling ramps it would have made the job much easier.

I got myself a set of these (or similar) which don't take up a lot of room;

When the omelette departed what was the angle?

We use a levelling app on the phone and generally prefer to find somewhere where the angles don’t exceed 3 degrees. Anything more and it feels like we are on a ferry in a rolling sea. Maybe we have sensitive fluids in the ears.

Don’t like using levelling blocks when wilding as it provides a clue as to your overnight intentions. It really depends how “official” the park up is.
This last week parks ups have been at a premium and often busy when we found somewhere so level has been a bit of a luxury but I it does mean you can’t just leave somewhere quickly if unhappy with the park up. 🤔

Nay for us as we seldom park for more that one night and if you need to leave in a hurry they are a hindrance and make your intentions of stopping more obvious. But now we have the beast who has inboard jacks it might change our minds we will have to see.

Thanks for the recommendation they look like they take up less room than some others

Yes, although I haven't used them yet, but a friend of mine uses the same all the time and gets on well with them.

Nay for us as we seldom park for more that one night and if you need to leave in a hurry they are a hindrance and make your intentions of stopping more obvious. But now we have the beast who has inboard jacks it might change our minds we will have to see.
I wouldn’t use them if i was on my own as I like to think I could just leave without having to go out of the van. A car park that seems quite enough at 6pm can have a completely different feel by 9pm !!!

Never had a set, mind you we seldom stay overnight, but we also have double back wheels which would/could cause a problem, fronts are ok to do.

Use them regularly in France irrespective of length of stay; makes life so much more civilised. In GB, use them only in places where motorhomes are specifically permitted to overnight. Found one place on the last trip where the incline on authorised bays was so excessive that their use was a waste of time - and in fact positively dangerous. Well done nature.scot!

Yes, i get as level as possible which helps the fridge freezer and i also like it when an item i put on the cooker, table or unit is still there when i go back to it.

Many many years back we was at the C.C. Park Coppice site, Coniston and a woman had to be rushed to hospital with severe burns when a pan of boiling stew slid off her cooker and went all over her.

When saw the angle of her motorhome it was no wonder what had happened and i`ve no idea how she even slept in it or didn`t fall off the loo o_O

For Wilding I would say no, but staying on a site, even for a day, we wouldn't be without nowadays, only takes us a couple of minutes at most to use, and we have plenty of storage.
We have a pair of Milenco Triples and have used them for 11+ years on our 3.5t van, some complain that the 'ridges' get bent over, some of those on ours are 'bent' and have been for years but this has had no effect on there use.

I have both Milenco Quattro 2 and Fiamma Magnums to get it level depending on the gradient but i am spoilt when it comes to storage and the levelling ramps have their own dedicated locker :)

For longer stays I can see the reasoning but we rarely stay more than one night and never more than two 🤷🏻‍♀️I was wondering how long they lasted probably better to spend a bit more if we do buy I’ll look at the fiama ones thanks

The Fiamma Jumbo ones are not the best I don't think in terms of longevity and tarmac or gravel helps destroy them I am sure but if I get two or three years out of them that's fine as they are not that expensive but I use them because they are light compared to some better quality ones I have seen. Weight being key of course. We tend to do long trips of several months so if you are only away a few weeks a year they will last ages.

The milenco Jumbo's ive seen look much better quality but they are heavy.

I like to show off with mine especially on an Aire in France. :D you often see some right performances getting on the blocks which usually involves Mrs Motorhomer frantically flapping her arms and shouting instructions from the front or rear of the van and loads of revving and clutch slipping. :D I just wack mine out under the wheels and either Reverse or go forward on them in any combination and do it myself in one go. I've used them for so many years I know exactly where the optimum point is. I know, nobody likes a smart arse. 😁

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back