To level or not to level

80% of times I can get level without any blocks wild and on CL's. For those others I have a couple of wooden blocks with a ramp at one end. They are drilled to bu99ery to save weight and painted black so as to not stand out when wild.
Its v.very rare they are not enough.
K ;)

I always level, even if not staying overnight. I regularly get asked by people what they are for. I take time to explain why we do it, I find that this creates a good connection between us and the public. The fridge on my previous van did not work properly or at all unless it was level.
But I do try not to use them, my van is lower at the front, so I always try to pitch on an upward slope to level off.

Yes, i get as level as possible which helps the fridge freezer and i also like it when an item i put on the cooker, table or unit is still there when i go back to it.

Many many years back we was at the C.C. Park Coppice site, Coniston and a woman had to be rushed to hospital with severe burns when a pan of boiling stew slid off her cooker and went all over her.

When saw the angle of her motorhome it was no wonder what had happened and i`ve no idea how she even slept in it or didn`t fall off the loo o_O
Eek! Poor lady No park up is worth parking at that angle for longer than taking a photo! We don’t have a fridge so that’s not a worry for us but I will be paying more attention before cooking in future

Generally I try to use a reasonably flat place to park up, if there’s a bit of a slope then I can manoeuvre until I’m more level as normally I’m a bit arse-high. I was going to leave out my Milenco levellers but realised I had to use them last year, so they’re staying in. I’d like the extra room without them though.

Eek! Poor lady No park up is worth parking at that angle for longer than taking a photo! We don’t have a fridge so that’s not a worry for us but I will be paying more attention before cooking in future

Another consideration when cooking - I had put the kettle on whilst getting dressed in the morning and sprayed deodorant on.

I was obviously too close to the burner and whoosh! all of a sudden I was engulfed in flames, and I mean completely engulfed. Amazingly I didn't suffer any burns, just a strong smell of singed hair!

Could have been so much worse.

Never felt the need for them. With a smaller van it was easier to find level ground and on the odd occasions we would find a couple of flattish stones boulders to drive or reverse onto. Improvise and overcome. Boulder looks more stealth than a big yellow I’m camping block.

Another consideration when cooking - I had put the kettle on whilst getting dressed in the morning and sprayed deodorant on.

I was obviously too close to the burner and whoosh! all of a sudden I was engulfed in flames, and I mean completely engulfed. Amazingly I didn't suffer any burns, just a strong smell of singed hair!

Your guardian angel was on duty that day ! Useful to remember for all sorts of hints like bug spray . Fire has to be all our worst fear in a tin box 🚐 🔥

When we had a caravan SWMBO was obsessive about being level.
On one occasion the warden (a long time friend) was helping us set up and offered one of his Rizla papers to get the side to side spot on!

In the Moho we are not as fussy. As long as the fridge works and the beer stays in the glass it is close enough.
We have a set of Milenco quads but I estimate we use them about 10% of the time.

Probably depends on the van and it’s size when you have a barge like me where the front and back are parked in different Postcodes it’s a must. I’ve fitted auto levelling 5 years ago and use them a lot. 👍

Fairly level for us.....
so we can cook and eat without crampons and a safety harness !
Often one yellow block does the job.
I have a small spirit level and as.long as the bubble is at leat half in we are ok.
For cooking the camp/dutch oven is very stable as is a. big saucepan.
The Ridge monkey not so good.
So we cook .accordingly
Medium coachbuilt @ 6.5 m.

Probably depends on the van and it’s size when you have a barge like me where the front and back are parked in different Postcodes it’s a must. I’ve fitted auto levelling 5 years ago and use them a lot. 👍
We have a Citroen Relay so not so big. I guess the auto leveling is the ideal but that aint going to happen 😒

Fairly level for us.....
so we can cook and eat without crampons and a safety harness !
Often one yellow block does the job.
I have a small spirit level and as.long as the bubble is at leat half in we are ok.
For cooking the camp/dutch oven is very stable as is a. big saucepan.
The Ridge monkey not so good.
So we cook .accordingly
Medium coachbuilt @ 6.5 m.
Yep trying to cook a two person omelette in a ridge monkey probs wasn't the best choice but I was being too lazy to make two separate ones 🤷‍♀️

Lo

Other depilatory techniques are available, and usually safer.

I have used both small and large Fiamma ramps as well as recycled wood wedge. The small Fiammas eventually snapped, the large started to give at the high end so I filled them with builders foam which stabilized them and stopped them cutting into soft ground, but I still don't like the steps I believe a smooth ramp is easier to climb especially with a robot (Quickshift) gearbox that is set to disengage the clutch when the brake pedal is depressed before firm pressure is built up. The helix curved ramps are good in theory but seem to be only suitable for high ground/body clearance. Once I have caught up with the 1001 other 'round-to-its' I shall make up a matched pair of smooth ramps with good stops on the end that can be felt through the suspension.....

Why do you wear a kettle and spray your breakfast with deodorant, strange habits over there.? 😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back