Tilting solar panels.

Just knocked this up bit of waste pipe and a 100w flexible panel I had spare
DSCF9498.JPG

I was amazed at the difference between flat and tilted. When reading the post phil and rae did. So think if you can do it. Well worth the effort

A lot of fuss bother and expense.
Yes great in winter if you are camped up! But otherwise limited..especially whilst moving. Yes a great toy !
Use an aire with EHU 1or2 x a week

I was amazed at the difference between flat and tilted. When reading the post phil and rae did. So think if you can do it. Well worth the effort
Got to be honest. Monkey see, monkey do. Thanks so the support. Not sure if it will hold the panels up 😂
If I can get the extra charge to the batteries, next year I might rip it out and replace it with a bigger panel. There’s loads of room up there. Fixing points would need to be changed.

Tracking the sun as well for best results.
But whatever latitude you find yourself in, Add 10° in the when the clocks go Fwd, Take away 10° from your Latitude when the Clocks go back. As a kinda guide.

Is there any mathematical basis for this?
The maths does involve latitude and time of year but is far more complex than this. The are many solar elevation calculations on the net, but I suggest that these are a bit much for our use.

The best performance at any time; any season and any location is to have the sun's rays hitting the panel at 90°.
So just set the panel so it points at the sun at midday. Repointing it every hour would be better but a bit of a chore.

For best results you need a swivel and tilt mount not just tilt. Maybe time to look for a discarded Captains Chair.

By the way mine is flat on the roof!

The maths does involve latitude and time of year but is far more complex than this. The are many solar elevation calculations on the net, but I suggest that these are a bit much for our use.

The best performance at any time; any season and any location is to have the sun's rays hitting the panel at 90°.
So just set the panel so it points at the sun at midday. Repointing it every hour would be better but a bit of a chore.

For best results you need a swivel and tilt mount not just tilt. Maybe time to look for a discarded Captains Chair.

Hi ya,
My earlier post was a guesstimate on my part having already suggested that ‘Tracking’ the sun & well as optimum tilt would yeald a better harvest, But it appears I wasn’t ‘That’ far out (other than getting it the other way around 🤣🤣🤣 now edited) based on this -
65D96376-FE8A-4026-8C71-585761BA82C7.png

Last edited:

I would not bother. For years I used a freestanding panel (still do occasionally). All I needed was a short bit of wood for Summer and a longer bit of wood for Winter. By altering the angle of the wood it changed the angle of the panel. I did spend a bit of time at first, checking the panel output until I was satisfied what was the optimum output. It's not enough difference to fret about.

How much difference would it make to get the angle of the panel a couple of degrees out? :rolleyes:

When these are available for the same price as flat panels...
I might consider one....

Till then I'll stick with the 400w bifacial panel bolted flat to the roof.
I'm on holiday to get away from pfaff....
Not to be worrying whether my panel is pointing exactly at the optimum angle for max harvest ;-)

Yep, as I said earlier mine is fitted Flat, & largely forget about until I give it a bit of a wipe with my soft Broom. 👍

I used the window openers off a UPVC window when I hung one on the side of the shed. This time of year the panel is just off vertical. Very easy to move and adjustable pressure to stop it moving.

No maths needed just point and play it’s as simple as that .

Del just use an actuator like this and you can put it at any angle you like from the ground .I think it was only 35quid and 16quid for the remote View attachment 95401
Looking at the picture again Jeff, I see you are still using a gas strut or two.
Also, the amount of shaft coming from the bottom of the actuator, doesn't look long enough to retract the panels fully. But then again, what do I know?

The only reason the gas struts are on I carnt Be arse to take them off lolol .I would think if your only lifting two panels you wouldn’t need them any way

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back