The demise of Lpg stations

If we later find out electric was not the way forward will those in GOV be CHARGED.

It will just come as a bit of a shock..But they will find AMPle excuses to any resistance.!
Perhaps putting them in a wet cell might help. Maybe give them some NaCl and convict them of a Salt with a Battery

March for Meths
Pander to Paraffin
Keen for Kerosene
Go for Gel
Cool it for Coal
Frenzy for Fuel Cells
Wait for Wood

But more seriously Like some trains..A built in diesel Genny and batteries. The wheels like a Toyota prius powered by Electric motors
So
1 Rear wheel drive
2 Regeneration when braking

Had a GasIt system fitted yesterday, my plan was to have two 11kg bottles fitted but living in northern Scotland availability is an issue. Reluctantly I have gone for 1 x 11kg refillable and retained 1 x 13kg Calor as a back up.

Before people rush out and buy EVs, it is hoped they understand the governments proposals for EV charge costs. (Click the Electric vehicle smart charging link.)

Quite apart from the Cyber Security issues, they intend to charge consumers more should they need to charge at a time that suits the EV user:

I wonder just how many people are aware of these proposals.

I cannot get my brain CELLS round all this,the gov have not put every thing on a PLATE and as for CHARGING us out of hrs well the real ACID test will be in a few years time,maybe those in power should be taken for a SALT and BATTERY to our pockets.

I think with all these changes and regulations coming in, I will get myself an ox and cart
But by then I’ll probably have to have a methane meter fitted and they will tax me that way,
When I said I’ll I meant the ox 🤣
Cus I don’t fart

Much 🤣

Would you buy a new motorhome with under slung tank ,and no gas locker .would it be practical to fit an aftermarket gas locker on a. £70 k plus motorhome.?

Had a GasIt system fitted yesterday, my plan was to have two 11kg bottles fitted but living in northern Scotland availability is an issue. Reluctantly I have gone for 1 x 11kg refillable and retained 1 x 13kg Calor as a back up.

Thats actually the best solution in the UK. It's what we do although when I put our gaslow system in ten years ago I stupidly swapped by 13kg calor for a 6kg to save weight. I try to use the gaslow most of the time but if I run out and can't get lpg from a pump I just swap the hose to the calor.

It's not a problem of course in mainland Europe. I don't even bother taking the calor there. Maybe it will change there as well.

Filled up yesterday in Doncaster at the texaco garage and was asked for the first time in 15 years is it for road use not cooking , you can guess my answer🤥

No, I can't. What was it ? The garage may have been genuinely interested. They would have sold you it either way.

I have decided one 7.5 kg safelfill I 6kg calor as backup.....safefill I bought too large so refunded and awaiting the smaller bottle

169 for the safefill and£7 to refill as opposed to £23 for calor soon be saving . Currently using 2 a week with no ehu

As for abroad I,e France calor is useless better buying lpg or signing up to Antares gas or someone.

Re availability in the uk everything is location dependent I live in a highly populated area so there is footfall hence demand. Although I can see in more rural areas it may not be viable for stations to stock ...it all seems making the best compromise.

I think with all these changes and regulations coming in, I will get myself an ox and cart
But by then I’ll probably have to have a methane meter fitted and they will tax me that way,
When I said I’ll I meant the ox 🤣
Cus I don’t fart

Much 🤣
My wife tells me that to,i dont believe anyone these days. ;)

Thats actually the best solution in the UK. It's what we do although when I put our gaslow system in ten years ago I stupidly swapped by 13kg calor for a 6kg to save weight. I try to use the gaslow most of the time but if I run out and can't get lpg from a pump I just swap the hose to the calor.

It's not a problem of course in mainland Europe. I don't even bother taking the calor there. Maybe it will change there as well.
My system too. One 11 kg Gaslow and either a 13 kg calor in the winter, or the smallest calor in the summer, which is only used to take out and run the Cadac. And as a backup I suppose, but never been used for that, and it wouldn't run the heating for very long. In Scotland, in Winter the big Calor is the primary source and the Gaslow the backup, once it is half empty. Very few opportunities to refill there.

There is still room for up to a 6kg calor as well, I just keep the little calor as well for the Cadac. Just because it is Winter doesn't mean I stop cooking outside.

Bottled gas is available everywhere in Europe, large parts are rural and have no mains supply, they depend on it, you just have to be sensible and look for the best deal with the lowest deposit. No Calor monopoly. I take a Le Cube instead of the little calor in Summer.

LPG (or GPL) is still plentiful there. No idea where the demand comes from, maybe big trucks with bi-fuel diesel/lpg installations, but it must be there.

Would you buy a new motorhome with under slung tank ,and no gas locker .would it be practical to fit an aftermarket gas locker on a. £70 k plus motorhome.?

No. And No.

Well you might somehow fit a gas locker into a big garage, but bottles are bulky and heavy (generally twice the weight of the gas) and that weight might be in the wrong place.

Building a vehicle utterly dependant on refillable underslung tanks seems like madness to me, it may free up room for other luxuries but I'd rather compromise on that. Besides, these underslung tanks may not be what you might think. Say you get a really big one, maybe 100 litres. I've even seen some that have 120 litres. Well that's BS, they only take 80% of that, so you have 80 litres. Which is 40 kilos of propane. Which is still massive.

Realistically there are manufacturers putting titchy little tanks under their vehicles, 25 litres under a Ducato for example is as large as can be readily fitted. That's just 10 kilos of gas. I have more than that in just one bottle, in my locker, which can hold two, and actually a third smaller one. How much gas do you actually need ? Are you planning to live off grid for a month or more, in Winter, without refuelling ? Then it might make sense to have one.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back