SORN and insurance

Seems to be different with each insurer? Makes life so easy doesn't it!
Thinking about it, if different insurers have different attitudes when a vehicle is sorned, it occurs to me that when I rang AIB they didn't even ask for my name. So unless all of the policies obtained through them are with the same insurer, how could they know who I am insured with to give me a definite answer?
Well I know that AIB post on here from time to time, perhaps they might contribute to the discussion.

Got told yesterday that mine became invalid without tax/mot. Kinda tough as MOT ran out on Tuesday cos I was self isolating.

Of course, I emailed them at the start of the week to tell them, and they only told me that by email, yesterday, at 5.30. at exactly the same time they closed for the day... class!!
who are you with,insurance,i would not mind to no,thanks ok.pj.

NFU have said mine is fully covered they offered Third Party, Fire and Theft but I would rather have full cover because it was not cheap. It's been SORN'd and the MOT runs out end of April but Government have extended that for 6 months.

Here's an idea. Our van is SORN because the MOT was due on Friday, so what I've done is donate what I would have given to the revenue now goes Cancer Research with Gift Aid. Not ''good will hunting'' just a suggestion.

Suppose it will go a bit of the way to paying the CEO Salary of £240,000+ per year.

Always worth checking your individual policies . We are with Caravan Guard and I could not find any problems with Sorn if vehicle not on road . Laid up cover ,eg Fire, Theft , Storm , etc still applies
but and i say but, what about the road bit. oh your insured. full stop, no mention,about road bit. not to happy. ok.pj. stay jolly,? no contact.xxx

Well if you are on the road parked up then as I understand you shouldnt Sorn . I would imagine that if you had an accident whilst driving a sorned vehicle there would be problems for the claim but would have to read the wording again . Police might be interested as well I assume ?

Well if you are on the road parked up then as I understand you shouldnt Sorn . I would imagine that if you had an accident whilst driving a sorned vehicle there would be problems for the claim but would have to read the wording again . Police might be interested as well I assume ?
sorry i ment. what about the fully comp bit. fire and theft is 3rd party, they have not made any comense yet. oh keep the change he sarcastikly he replyed. ok.pj.

For a vehicle parked up off the road and not being used ,my understanding of the CaravanGuard policy is that Comp cover will still operate even if the vehicle is Sorned . In the "old " days you could get Laid Up cover , basically Fire and Theft at a much reduced rate but I think this practice has died out now , but might be worth asking about if that is all you want.

i discussed my huge renewal quote with AIB last month and they convinced me to reinsure my SORNED van. i had to really pressurise them to find a way to reduce the premium. Eventually they looked on DVLA and checked my mileage and i did the same on my van and i halved my mileage projection for this year and saved £100.... being a broker you might have thought they could have thought of that and found me a better quote initially.

Seems to be different with each insurer? Makes life so easy doesn't it!
but y should it be, i am about to leave. a major company. for a better deal. and a better price. almost £150 . for same thing. ok.pj. its all deja vu. keep going

My understanding is the difference between third party fire and theft and fully comp is negligible. Check it out, but be careful if you are insuring a van which is relatively new and valuable. Don’t skimp on insurance, you may live to regret it.
Quite often Third Party, Fire and Theft costs more than Comprehensive. Crazy, but that's how it is.

I asked on MH fun a similar question. My van is now SORN and Iasked NFU for achange as the new policy is due shortly.
The renewal is £484 ,up £73 from last year so as I am totally unable to use it I asked fror an accidental , theft and fire quote. NO Road risk quote..
They came back with a reduction of £73 back to last years all risks comprehensive policy. FOR FIRE AND THEFT ONLY,, no road risks at all.
My van is locked in my garden area behind wall has an immobiliser , tracker and has no wheels on blocks to stop movement. It is covered by a custom cover, and there are two cctv cameras on it as well as me being close by most of the time. I cannot see any benefit from insuring it with them as they would ONLY cover fire and theft whilst laid up at that rate. I will ask other companies next but hold little hopeof better so I might have to drop the insurance bit as it will not be used for a long time whilst the lockdown farce continues. What do you lot think the funsters all failed to read the post and all seem to think I was wanting TPFT road policy which I do not. I want accidental/fire/theft/ and vandalism cover only. I even took the wheels off and put it on blcks to make it closer to the ground to stop the catalytic convertor, going to 'the parky where you wantys' and their thieving ways. Any comments??????????

Last edited:
No , i agree does not make sense . Maybe try asking NFU for a commercial Fire and Special Perils (to include Malicous Damage (vandalism)) material damage policy as you seem happy to stand your own Theft risk . No reason why they could not do this IF they wanted to . Not optimistic it will work as laid up cover seams to have died out and most companies cant be bothered these days . Good Luck.

Seems a very high premium. Presumably you shipped around at renewal.
You could bring the mileage let not down a lot to see if that helps. And/or whack up the excess.
If it were me, I'd probably not insure at all for the time it's off the road, but that's not necessarily a wise choice.

Always worth checking your individual policies . We are with Caravan Guard and I could not find any problems with Sorn if vehicle not on road . Laid up cover ,eg Fire, Theft , Storm , etc still applies
but how much to pay all seem to be about ,£400,-£425 -£450, a round there, dont kid your self, there are some. wanting , £500 and £750, try l.v. best of luck.ok.pj

Ok QUESTION if you sorn your vehicle with fully comprehensive insurance des your insurance automatically become only covered for Third party fire and theft this was asked on Facebook and nobody seems to know the answer.
by the sound of it yes, no one wants to change, looks like they are at it, ask for any-thing else , dont want to no, best of luck , ok.pj.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back