SORN and insurance

No , i agree does not make sense . Maybe try asking NFU for a commercial Fire and Special Perils (to include Malicous Damage (vandalism)) material damage policy as you seem happy to stand your own Theft risk . No reason why they could not do this IF they wanted to . Not optimistic it will work as laid up cover seams to have died out and most companies cant be bothered these days . Good Luck.
i would not but that is me. ok.pj.
Seems a very high premium. Presumably you shipped around at renewal.
You could bring the mileage let not down a lot to see if that helps. And/or whack up the excess.
If it were me, I'd probably not insure at all for the time it's off the road, but that's not necessarily a wise choice.
and no claims discount. be care-full, and best of luck, ok pj.

Breakdown cover.
If you have separate breakdown cover make sure you cancel it, I got caught by this, this morning. :(
how much did you pay for it, then think is it worth it, if the engin dont start, or the brakes are stuck, ive kept mine on, may be im wrong.oh yes, ok.pj

but how much to pay all seem to be about ,£400,-£425 -£450, a round there, dont kid your self, there are some. wanting , £500 and £750, try l.v. best of luck.ok.pj
Yes , that is sadly true , but the van very important to us so really must be insured even if we are not using it . They have us by the balls !

but how much to pay all seem to be about ,£400,-£425 -£450, a round there, dont kid your self, there are some. wanting , £500 and £750, try l.v. best of luck.ok.pj
I don't think I've ever had to pay much more than £300, despite wanting to have enough windscreen cover for an expensive A-class screen.

Did they reduce the premium?
Surely it should be covered for any damage to the vehicle, malicious damage, impact accidental damage as long as not used on the road.
I would be surprised if premium reduced as laid up cover , as it was termed in the 60’s/80’s, is not generally available I think I am correct in saying.

I think you’ll find u are still obliged to matntain it in sound condition and only excerpt from MOT if you physically cannot get it to be tested. I. E isolating due to illness or vulnerability. I may be wrong , who knows!!!

I think you’ll find u are still obliged to matntain it in sound condition and only excerpt from MOT if you physically cannot get it to be tested. I. E isolating due to illness or vulnerability. I may be wrong , who knows!!!
My understanding is that all MOTs on cars that expire on or after 1st April will automatically be extended for six months. They are doing this shortly before expiry, so it won't show if you have a while left.
HGV MOTs are being extended by three months.
What is happening with motorhomes over 3.5T? They are officially pHGV but are also treated as cars for MOT tests.
Has anyone seen their MOT be extended (or not)?

Legally I think you’re correct but I’ve seen something from various insurers suggesting vehicle must still be maintained in good order and how else can you do this other than having MOT’d if you are able to access the service. All a bit grey I know!!!!

Daughter sorned a vehicle as she has just bought a new one and is waiting to sell it, when she rang insurance they TOLD her she could change the insurance to tpft as it was on her drive and not being used, promptly sent her a refund of over £150.

My road tax and insurance are due in June.
I will be using SORN for the road tax.
As for insurance I am hoping to arrange cover just for fire and theft.
Has anyone renewed recently, any tips would be welcome.

I know it looks like that, but I worked in the business for 40 years and quite a lot of the time the customers had me by the balls !
and of coace you moved with the ex-per-ance, i like it . down to earth, sounds like, james brown to me. get on down, ok. ok. may be not. ok. pj. be happy

Only problem buying TPF&T now is the cost of upgrade to comprehensive later when they can ask what they like and charge a fee!

Why third party, the vans of the road.
Surely insurers who insure motorhomes are aware of this situation and done their homework on this.
The biggest risk for them is injury or death you cause to another person, then its damage.
Well with your van sitting on your driveway or in a secure carpark these risk are gone.

Yes , if they were switched on and maybe wanting to grow then offering Fire and Theft only now could be a smart move to attract business and keep it when people upgrade to Comp when restrictions are relaxed ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back