Solar panel installation

Also try a sharpened paint scraper and heat gun.

Yes I used a sharpened scraper inside the van to remove some wooden battens Trev and it worked well.

The roof is composite plastic though so I need to be a bit careful with it.

Years back when I was selling trucks etc I suggested to my boss branching into an aero foil system that I designed in my head to fit between the side crash barriers on a semi trailer as I thought it would create lift and save on tyre and road wear, he thought I should stick to what I was doing, I often wondered if it would have worked.

Like the idea of a wind deflector.
I think if the panels start right at the front of the roof, they will make a fair bit of difference, but if the panels only come as far forward as the B pillar, the difference will be small.
After the mess I made of the aerodynamics on my last van, I don't fit anything forward of the B pillar.

I have no data to back this up, just seat of pants feeling. :)

Just for you Rob, cos I am a nice guy 😂😂😂😂

I sent an email to Bimble Solar asking if it was ok to mount large solar panels on vehicles and if so what did they recommend. Here is their reply:

We highly recommend that all motorhomes/vans secure the larger framed solar panels (>120w) to the roof with bolts/rivets.

Normally customers use a bespoke solution (roof racking systems for example), alternatively we recommend using these aluminium mounts for riveting:
https://www.bimblesolar.com/extras/mounting/alu-long-mounting-bracket-black

One pair for 50w-175w panels, Two pairs for larger panels >175w, Three or more for the largest panels over 2m is highly recommended. Bear in mind judgement is important when using this guidance, each fit is different and you need to judge the best fit for yourself.

We recommend these rivets
https://bsfixings.uk/standard-al-st-domed-head?cat=159108
4.8 x 10mm x 500

Just for you Rob, cos I am a nice guy 😂😂😂😂

I sent an email to Bimble Solar asking if it was ok to mount large solar panels on vehicles and if so what did they recommend. Here is their reply:

We highly recommend that all motorhomes/vans secure the larger framed solar panels (>120w) to the roof with bolts/rivets.

Normally customers use a bespoke solution (roof racking systems for example), alternatively we recommend using these aluminium mounts for riveting:
https://www.bimblesolar.com/extras/mounting/alu-long-mounting-bracket-black

One pair for 50w-175w panels, Two pairs for larger panels >175w, Three or more for the largest panels over 2m is highly recommended. Bear in mind judgement is important when using this guidance, each fit is different and you need to judge the best fit for yourself.

We recommend these rivets
https://bsfixings.uk/standard-al-st-domed-head?cat=159108
4.8 x 10mm x 500

Oh yes I do like those Neil!

Thanks mate.

I do stand corrected on how an aircraft wing generates lift.
But I still believe that what would cause a solar panel to lift is airflow getting between the panel and the roof ie under the panel. Deflecting the wind over the panel as described will have the opposite affect.

Wind's Impact on Solar Panels

Another aspect that may add to damage in a storm is wind. High winds from all directions may wreak havoc on even the best-built houses. Uplift may be an issue since the solar panels are placed slightly above the surface of the roof.

Wind can cause uplift when it makes its way between the roof and the solar panels, causing the panels to rise up or break free. However, with the correct installation of quality solar panels, you won't have to worry about uplift until in the case of really severe weather.

Solar panels from reputable manufacturers are rigorously tested to ensure they are engineered to withstand uplift. Furthermore, properly installed solar panels, in most cases, account for wind patterns to ensure that your solar panels are securely mounted on your roof and that all wires are carefully stowed.

If you reside in a region prone to severe winds, your solar installer will be able to knowledgeable recommendations based on their experience. And, more than likely, your roof will fail before your panels do.

Last edited:
New thinking says it gets thinner over the top of the wing which creates a suction effect and lifts the wing, the thick heavy air under it then pushes up to help, the pressure differance on a jumbo jet is equel to a baby sucking on a straw which makes a wing more efficent thus saving fuel.

Gosh! I hadn't thought of that when figuring out wind deflection over my solar panels Trev.

How silly of me!
So you don't need wind deflectors Rob, the only problem that I see is how are you going to secure the baby sucking on a straw to your roof?

Does it need to come off at all Rob?

Not really Kev now you mention it.

I was thinking of installing the 12V system I have in the van now on my next boat but Julie suggested installing it in the cabin in the garden. So I could put the 100W flexi on the cabin roof along with another 100W flexi I have. But to make it more effective I could get new bigger panels for that as well as the prices are coming down so much.

The min thickness is 1mm, I used 1mm thick wire to make sure it was at least that on the roof.

Those plastic tooth picks would work well too.

I shall install the panels without a wing and see what the wind noise is like, I can always add it at a later date.

My immediate thought though it is not really shaped like a wing, more a deflector?
having a deflector will make the top more aerodynamic and save fuel. It is estimated you will recover in fuel costs what you spent on aero aids in approximately 14.6 Years :geek:

Back